Arkansas 31 Cincinnati 24

theguru

Two missed FG's, two turnovers, and 10 penalties for 65 yards (3 penalties inside the Arkansas 15 when down 7 points)....you simply aren't going to win a road game against a top 25 team when those things happen. 

21 plays in Arkansas territory in the first half that resulted in 0 points.

Arkansas ran just 5 plays in Cincinnati territory in the first half that resulted in 14 points.

Ballgame right there. 

The positives?

- Corey Kiner is as advertised and is going to absolutely destroy the AAC this year. 

- OL looked pretty good considering they were without all conference center Jake Renfro, who injured his knee earlier in the week and is now out for the year. 

- Ben Bryant looked much better in the second half and UC's receivers were open ALL DAY. Has to get better with the deep ball though. I counted 4 times where UC receivers were 3-5 yards ahead of an Arkansas defender and he over threw what would have been easy td's. 

- Defense rotated a lot of young guys in and still looked pretty solid. LB play was a little disappointing. Arkansas had trouble running between the tackles but had success out wide because of bad reads and missed tackles by the LB's and secondary.  Threats missing a tackle on 3rd and 9 with 4 mins left allowed Arkansas to pick up the first down and run the clock out. 

Two plays that stick out to me that were extremely questionable....

1. KJ Jefferson running backwards in to the end zone and refs call forward progress instead of a safety. 

2. The hold on Chuck McClelland's screen run that would have resulted in a 1st down at the Arkansas 1... if that was a hold, Arkansas was getting away with murder all game. 

Extremely frustrating loss after re-watching the game as I felt UC was the better team, but simply couldn't capitalize on opportunities and beat themselves by being undisciplined... first regular season loss since 2019. 

On to the next one....

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Walter said:

Two missed FG's, two turnovers, and 10 penalties for 65 yards (3 penalties inside the Arkansas 15 when down 7 points)....you simply aren't going to win a road game against a top 25 team when those things happen. 

21 plays in Arkansas territory in the first half that resulted in 0 points.

Arkansas ran just 5 plays in Cincinnati territory in the first half that resulted in 14 points.

Ballgame right there. 

The positives?

- Corey Kiner is as advertised and is going to absolutely destroy the AAC this year. 

- OL looked pretty good considering they were without all conference center Jake Renfro, who injured his knee earlier in the week and is now out for the year. 

- Ben Bryant looked much better in the second half and UC's receivers were open ALL DAY. Has to get better with the deep ball though. I counted 4 times where UC receivers were 3-5 yards ahead of an Arkansas defender and he over threw what would have been easy td's. 

- Defense rotated a lot of young guys in and still looked pretty solid. LB play was a little disappointing. Arkansas had trouble running between the tackles but had success out wide because of bad reads and missed tackles by the LB's and secondary.  Threats missing a tackle on 3rd and 9 with 4 mins left allowed Arkansas to pick up the first down and run the clock out. 

Two plays that stick out to me that were extremely questionable....

1. KJ Jefferson running backwards in to the end zone and refs call forward progress instead of a safety. 

2. The hold on Chuck McClelland's screen run that would have resulted in a 1st down at the Arkansas 1... if that was a hold, Arkansas was getting away with murder all game. 

Extremely frustrating loss after re-watching the game as I felt UC was the better team, but simply couldn't capitalize on opportunities and beat themselves by being undisciplined... first regular season loss since 2019. 

On to the next one....

What is your take on the kicking issue?  Can they not find a kicker?

10 hours ago, cincyswords said:

What is your take on the kicking issue?  Can they not find a kicker?

Fickell gets paid a lot of money to figure that out. That's my take. It's mind boggling to me that a top 15-20 program in the game right now hasn't had a kicker with consistency for the past 3 seasons. 

Hopefully Coe gets it figured out. He had a reputation as a guy with a big leg coming in but has struggled with consistency since he arrived. Have to get it figured out. That game looks a lot different Saturday if Coe makes those two FG's. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 2:38 PM, dshoe40 said:

Seems like UC can't beat a team in the SEC.

They played two teams that ended up playing for the national championship this past season and a top 15 Arkansas team on the road. Your comment would apply to 90% of college football playing those 3 teams over the past 18 months. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Walter said:

Justin pretty much hits on all of my thoughts in the thread above 

Its tough knowing they had all the "should of's and could of's" in this game and come out with a loss.  Credit to coaches for having this team not "drop off" like most mid majors do after their success run and major graduation/NFL exits hit.  The flip side is wow what a missed opportunity for this program.   Despite the loss,  UC football has a program feel and not just a "one hit wonder."  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Walter said:

They played two teams that ended up playing for the national championship this past season and a top 15 Arkansas team on the road. Your comment would apply to 90% of college football playing those 3 teams over the past 18 months. 

My point is if they played in a better conference their record would not be as good as it has been.