NBA Draft 2022

7 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

A bit of a surprise in the draft tonight with Paolo Banchero going #1. 

Shaeden Sharpe goes #7 without ever playing a game post high school. Who was the last person who did that? 

TyTy Washington just barely makes it into the first round going #29.

I like the Banchero pick at #1.  I think he makes an immediate impact for them.  I am an old fat guy, so my opinion about fashion (and most things in general) doesn't matter much, but what was up with Banchero's suit last night?  

1 hour ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Lebron?

That led me to some googling. LeBron is not the answer. LeBron was in the 2003 draft. The last draft to allow high schoolers to be drafted was 2005. I don’t think anyone can name the last high schooler drafted by the NBA, but I will let the trivia question sit till this afternoon in case someone wants to show their stuff. In fact, I will add a second question.

1. Who was the last high school player drafted by the NBA?

2. Who was the first high school player drafted by the NBA?

56 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

That led me to some googling. LeBron is not the answer. LeBron was in the 2003 draft. The last draft to allow high schoolers to be drafted was 2005. I don’t think anyone can name the last high schooler drafted by the NBA, but I will let the trivia question sit till this afternoon in case someone wants to show their stuff. In fact, I will add a second question.

Looked up the answers and I'd never in a million years guess either player.  Mainly because I've never heard of the first hs player, and the last hs player is just a random guy I'd never guess.  I really thought the first was Moses Malone.

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I've at least heard of the answer for the first question.  Never heard of the guy for question #2.

1 hour ago, brown4 said:

Looked up the answers and I'd never in a million years guess either player.  Mainly because I've never heard of the first hs player, and the last hs player is just a random guy I'd never guess.  I really thought the first was Moses Malone.

6 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I've at least heard of the answer for the first question.  Never heard of the guy for question #2.

I am going to double check the name for the first high school player drafted. The name I saw is a name I expect most people to recognize. I thought someone would guess or know him. Maybe my name is wrong.

Amir Johnson was the last one. 

Feels like Spencer Haywood was mentioned in Winning Time as the first. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SnottieDrippen said:

Amir Johnson was the last one. 

Feels like Spencer Haywood was mentioned in Winning Time as the first. 

Great job, and correct on Amir Johnson being the last high school player drafted.  There were 6 high school players drafted in 2005 but Amir Johnson was the last pick at number 46.

Spencer Haywood did attend college but he is the person who sued and made it possible possible for high school players to be drafted under the hardship exception. Think of Spencer Haywood as the Curt Flood of the NBA high school player draft rule.

There was a player, Reggie Harding, who was drafted out of high school by Detroit in 1962. But he was forced to play a year in minor league basketball and then was drafted again in 1963 due to the no high school player rule.

The player I'm looking for is the first player to be drafted straight out of high school and play that coming season in the NBA. This happened after Spencer Haywood won his lawsuit.

3 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Great job, and correct on Amir Johnson being the last high school player drafted.  There were 6 high school players drafted in 2005 but Amir Johnson was the last pick at number 46.

Spencer Haywood did attend college but he is the person who sued and made it possible possible for high school players to be drafted under the hardship exception. Think of Spencer Haywood as the Curt Flood of the NBA high school player draft rule.

There was a player, Reggie Harding, who was drafted out of high school by Detroit in 1962. But he was forced to sit out a year due to the no high school player rule.

The player I'm looking for is the first player to be drafted straight out of high school and play that coming season in the NBA. This happened after Spencer Haywood won his lawsuit.

I had a brief obsession with Amir and his on-court shoe game. 

The answer to the second one I never would have guessed, but every NBA fan certainly knows his name. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SnottieDrippen said:

I had a brief obsession with Amir and his on-court shoe game. 

The answer to the second one I never would have guessed, but every NBA fan certainly knows his name. 

There actually is a bit of a UK connection with the first high schooler drafted. In fact, there were 2 high school players drafted in 1975. Both of them were going to play basketball at UK before they opted to enter the NBA draft.

There was a player, Reggie Harding, who was drafted out of high school by Detroit in 1962. But he was forced to play a year in minor league basketball and then was drafted again in 1963 due to the no high school player rule.

Gotcha, Reggie Harding is the name I saw when I looked up.

I have heard of Spencer Haywood but don't really remember much about him.

11 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

There actually is a bit of a UK connection with the first high schooler drafted. In fact, there were 2 high school players drafted in 1975. Both of them were going to play basketball at UK before they opted to enter the NBA draft.

First high school player drafted was Chocolate Thunder Darryl Dawkins. 

The other high schooler drafted in that 1975 draft was Bill Willoughby. 

Both were expected to go to UK if they played in college.

• Like 2