Deshaun Watson goes to...  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which team winds up with Watson?

• New Orleans
    • Carolina
    • Cleveland
    • Atlanta

17 minutes ago, bugatti said:

I think Goodell is going to increase it as the NFL was asking for an indefinite suspension, but I have nothing other than that to support this line of thinking. Again, Goodell has been put into a no-win situation. He goes along with the judge's ruling, he will get slammed. He increases it, the NFLPA will tee off on him and people will still say he didn't do enough unless he permanently bans Watson.

To me it is a no win situation for the NFL period.

• Like 1

The more I have sat back and thought about it, I could see Goodell doing nothing. As I said, he loses regardless of the decision, and this is the quickest way to get it over with. It puts it to rest (for now) and you only have to hear about it through mid-October. Each week you extend it out, the longer it lingers. He gets paid what he does to be the fall guy for a situation this bozo Deshaun Watson created.

7 minutes ago, bugatti said:

The more I have sat back and thought about it, I could see Goodell doing nothing. As I said, he loses regardless of the decision, and this is the quickest way to get it over with. It puts it to rest (for now) and you only have to hear about it through mid-October. Each week you extend it out, the longer it lingers. He gets paid what he does to be the fall guy for a situation this bozo Deshaun Watson created.

I can see the same happening.  Some type of "judge" ruled 6 games and why not stay out of it and I agree no sense in extending it.  Like everything else, people will get over it.

46 minutes ago, nees1212 said:

Ben Roethlisberger: 1 accusation = 6 game suspension

Deshaun Watson: 24 accusations = 6 game suspension

I'm loving all of these tweets and memes going around with no context.

"Calvin Ridley, gambling = one year suspension"

"Vontaze Burfict, helmet-to-helmet contact = 12 games"

"Josh Gordon, weed = 10 games"

And yes, Big Ben's suspension 12 years ago prior to "Me Too" and the NFL handing over its punishment arm to an independent judge was six games (it was actually reduced to four) came about in a similar fashion with prosecutors deciding not to press charges, then Goodell being the one responsible for the discipline.

A little Cliffs Notes history recap on the Commissioner's power in handing out punishment. At the turn of the century, the NFL was going through an image problem... I think the Bengal fans on this board know this first hand. Everyone was looking at the Commissioner to do more in these instances, in hopes of "cleaning-up" the league. The NFL and NFLPA give him absolute power to be the judge, jury, and executioner. He exercised said power (poorly, quite often), then everyone - most notably the NFLPA, which gave him the power - was up in arms about the authority they granted him. DeMaurice Smith should have been fired for this, but he encouraged his players to send scathing tweets at the Commissioner to make them feel better, so all good. One Commissioner fumble after the next with his dolling out of punishment, and a system is set up in cases like Deshaun Watson to turn that authority over to an independent judge. He or she reviews all evidence and makes the determination. And that is where we are today. The provision still allows for Goodell to take more action.

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2022 at 8:22 AM, nees1212 said:

Ben Roethlisberger: 1 accusation = 6 game suspension

Deshaun Watson: 24 accusations = 6 game suspension

I have not looked closely at the arbitrator's decision but I think this is the loophole the NFL will jump through. The NFL only presented 4 cases for the arbitrator to consider, so it is 4 cases not 24 in this Watson review. The loophole is the arbitrator appears to have treated all 4 of the cases considered as one offense and that is why she went with 6 games, citing precedence. I think the NFL is going to say this is 4 offenses, not 1 and the punishment should be much higher because it is 4 offenses.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...