Deshaun Watson ends up in Cleveland

Deshaun Watson goes to...  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which team winds up with Watson?

• New Orleans
    • Carolina
    • Cleveland
    • Atlanta

I left "prison" out of the choices too since he was not indicted.  

I personally think New Orleans or Carolina make the most sense for Watson.  I understand if he wants to go to Atlanta and his hometown but they are not nearly as competitive as the other teams.  

Cleveland presents an opportunity to have a good surrounding cast with the immediate possibility to go deep into the playoffs.  Cleveland believes they are just good quarterback play away from a Super Bowl.  Watson is from the south and so going to Cleveland probably isn't attractive just from a climate perspective.  But most people think this would make Cleveland very competitive.  

Apparently, Cleveland is still in the running this morning (3/17), even though Watson was in Atlanta into the evening meeting with Falcons team reps.  It is being reported that he is "incredibly torn" about the decision.  

Mary Kay Cabot of cleveland.com also reports that the last time Watson played in Cleveland fierce winds off of Lake Erie wrecked the passing game with Watson throwing for 163 yards and a TD in a 10-7 loss for the Texans.  If that day shapes his view of Cleveland, he won't be going to the Browns.  Yet, they are still in the running.  

Personally, I don't want him in Cleveland due to the baggage, though he is an incredibly talented football player.  

I think he winds up in New Orleans because of the roster, location, and the winning history even though Sean Payton is no longer HC.  

1 hour ago, bugatti said:

New Orleans has apparently restructured some contracts and cleared nearly $30M in cap space. Hmm...

I think yesterday at 4 or 5pm was when teams HAD to get down to a certain number for the new season.  Now, if they've cleared an additional $30M beyond that....that's a pretty good number.

For what it's worth, I was worried more about Watson possibly going to Pittsburgh than Cleveland (sorry Browns fans).  Just more stability there.  Plus, getting out of the AFC North is going to be a dog fight (no pun intended) anyway, and the AFC in general is going to be a true gauntlet to go through.

The NFC South is going to be wide open once TB12 retires, again.  So, if I had to hedge a bet on what division he ends up in, I'd go there.

ESPN's Adam Shefter reported a couple of hours ago that the Browns have been informed they are out of the running.  

The only team not in the NFC South is no longer in contention.  From a competitive point of view, Watson would have an easier time getting to a Super Bowl in the NFC than in the AFC, and on top of that, the AFC North has two top tier QBs already and neither are named Ben.  

Cleveland went out got Amari Cooper and now appear to have no QBs to get him the ball.  Out of the running for Watson and in the process burned their bridge with Baker.    What's left?   Do they make a run at Jimmy G or do they settle for someone like Andy Dalton?

2 hours ago, The Raven said:

Cleveland went out got Amari Cooper and now appear to have no QBs to get him the ball.  Out of the running for Watson and in the process burned their bridge with Baker.    What's left?   Do they make a run at Jimmy G or do they settle for someone like Andy Dalton?

Matt Ryan from Atlanta may soon be expendable.  Derek Carr, if they can pry him away from McDaniels and the Raiders.  

They say Mayfield asked the Browns to trade him today and they turned him down.  That makes the most sense to me.  They tried to reel in Watson but the lure of his hometown seems too much to overcome.  So, they still have Mayfield on contract and unless they can get a better QB, I think it makes sense to make him play out his contract.  As distasteful as it may seem to him now, he's going to have to strap on his helmet and play.  He is a competitor and I believe he will play for his teammates.  He hands the ball off to a guy like Nick Chubb.  Chubb deserves everyone's best effort.  Joel Bitonio blocks for him.  He deserves Mayfield's best effort.  Go down the roster and there are guys like that at every position.  His feelings are hurt.  So what.  

Interestingly enough, a poll of cleveland.com "insiders" Browns' fans published on March 16 asked the respondents 5 questions surrounding the idea of Deshaun Watson coming to the Browns.   Sixty percent of Browns fans didn't want Watson to come to Cleveland.  In answer to a second question worded a bit differently, 80% of Browns fans had at least some problem with it.  Seven percent said they would stop rooting for the Browns altogether and another 10% said they would consider to stop rooting for the Browns if they acquired Watson.  There was another article focused on the opinions of women.  One of those interviewed was a licensed massage therapist.  She was "absolutely disgusted that the Browns are even entertaining the idea" of bringing Watson to Cleveland.  

In other news... Owner Jimmy Haslem offered to fly down to Baker Mayfield's home to talk to him about remaining with the Browns after Mayfield asked to be traded.  Mayfield declined the visit.  

7 hours ago, oldgrappler said:

Interestingly enough, a poll of cleveland.com "insiders" Browns' fans published on March 16 asked the respondents 5 questions surrounding the idea of Deshaun Watson coming to the Browns.   Sixty percent of Browns fans didn't want Watson to come to Cleveland.  In answer to a second question worded a bit differently, 80% of Browns fans had at least some problem with it.  Seven percent said they would stop rooting for the Browns altogether and another 10% said they would consider to stop rooting for the Browns if they acquired Watson.  There was another article focused on the opinions of women.  One of those interviewed was a licensed massage therapist.  She was "absolutely disgusted that the Browns are even entertaining the idea" of bringing Watson to Cleveland.  

Winning cures all. The Browns it is.

• theguru changed the title to Deshaun Watson ends up in Cleveland