Marvin Lewis speaks: Ocho Psycho, no on Odell and getting tougher

Two questions:

1) Would a different head coach be more successful with the Bengals?

2) Would Marvin be more successful elsewhere?

My questions focus on Marvin's personality vs. the Bengals personality, not on his coaching skills.

Too early to tell. I'd say we'll know more on 1.1.08.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rucker, a reach? by people not affiliated with an NFL team!!!!! He gave us nothing because of an injury! So now Marvin's supposed to predict those too??? Are you serious?? Whitworth was a reach too, so was Madieu Williams, so was Caleb Miller. I wasn't even considering the drafted players and their abilities; I read the stuff because I am interested, but they don't know much compared the Bengals's coaching staff or any other; they have proven that with their drafts.

So how indeed was Brooks handed the job, and then how did he play so poorly, with all those recored tackles I might add, and then lose it????? No one is questioning his speed either; Marvin mentioned his name as specifically a bright spot for the season, but I guess that was "spinning" also!!!

Brooks lost his job because he hasn't totally learned the system; it was more a matter of Miller gaining the job than Brooks losing it; Miller started against N.O. because the Bengals wanted more speed at LB; remember he wasn't here until after the supplemental draft, so he didn't have a chance in the Spring to learn, which in the NFL is huge because of the complexities and adjustments to formations and motion and everything else offenses throw at players. He has shown he will be a player period.

Anthony Munoz is a saint; of course he is going to say that, but he has no idea about what is going on inside the Bengals' lockerroom in 2006! And Collinsworth doesn't either; he works for HBO, NBC, NFL network, coaches his kids' teams and watches his daughter play soccer. When has he even been in Cincy, other than to spend time with his wife during the week?(I know he did one Thursday night game)He has no specific knowledge either!!!

Father Flannagan- so who would the Bengals have drafted that would have satisfied you to replace the production of Odell last season and Henry this season?????? Henry and Thurman made the bad choices, not Marvin Lewis. If you want to criticize the draft picks, who should have been taken; you see it is easy to criticize without offering solutions!!

Backfired- there is absolutely no concrete evidence to support that; they didn't make the playoffs; that had more to do with Carson returning from a devastating knee injury; Braham, the most important position on the OL going down; Jones, Carson's backside being injured for most of the year; Tory and Deltha not performing; Jackson's injury for a chunk of the season; the defense just not performing; it had nothing to do with character!

So Willie and Carson talking to other players is the same as Marvin's experience at Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Washington, & Cincy- give me a break.

"a batch of hooligans and malcontents in a room their surrounded with" REALLY?? -Carson, Jeremi, Rudi, Reggie, TJ, Chad, Willie, Bobbie, Eric, Levi, Andrew, Richie, Sam, Bryon, John, Justin, Caleb, Brian, Landon, Tory, Dexter, Madieu, Jonathon, Stacy, Scott K., Anthony M., Kenny, Tony, Glenn, Domata, Robert, Shaun, Andre, Marcus, Ethan, Kevin, Kyle, Shane, Brad- you mean those thugs???? Your exagerrations have no merit!

"A room full of characters pointing the fingers at teammates for their losses." Again an extremely over-hyped overgeneralization that can not be proven with anything concrete. Marvin said it, "It becomes an issue when you lose."

Scouts- it was Marvin's idea for his coaches to do the scouting; he likes that idea, although they still have more scouts than they did under the previous regime(Cooper, Tobin, Coslett)

How can you fault scouting??? Carson, Eric S., Jeremi, Chris P., Madieu, Caleb, Landon, Stacy, Scott K., David, Robert, Eric G.Shaun(college FA), Jonathon, Andrew, Domata, Glenn(college FA), Ethan!!!!!

If you don't think Marvin Lewis has all the info on players, then you really don't know what you are talking about. The more I read, the more I realize the people outside the NFL organizations REALLY don't know what they are talking about! It's all about selling and money-not about real football.

Did you realize who has had the most off the field problems next to the Bengals? Chicago and SD, the 2 #1 seeds- the character argument is a joke. Yeah, like Cincy takes all the bad guys!!! They couldn't possibly have passed on any bad players!!!

I can't believe you have bought into the Cincy media who have no clue and have nothing to talk about but this stuff to sell newspapers. They're just upset that they aren't smart enough to figure out questions that Marvin will answer, that won't jeopardize the team. That's their way to get back at him becaue he gets perturbed by their continual demonstration of their lack of football knowledge. Mark Curnutte, Chick Ludwig, Kevin Goheen, Richard Skinner, Tom Gamble, Andy Furman HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THE GAME OF FOOTBALL- playing or coaching it!

This is a pretty good post!!!! The only thing I can argue is that Munoz is around the team quite a bit still. I actually saw him on the field against the Raiders and I'm pretty sure he still has lockerroom access.

I agree; Anthony is around a lot more than Collinsworth. My main point about Anthony is that he is all about character, promoting proper behavior to kids, and spreading the "Good News." So, if anything, he is going to overstate how important good character is to a team's success.