Highlands 87 Covington Holy Cross 72

Balanced scoring meaning exactly what was said, get more involved and keep them involved. In my opinion, the team last year could’ve done some special things with the level of scorers they had. To beat the better teams takes more than just one or two to carry the load. 

• Like 2

Every team wants to be more "balanced". The problem is that most schools don't have the luxury of just replacing seniors (especially ones that could score like Hicks, McClendon & Robinson from last year) and just plug 2 or 3 new guys in the next year and automatically get or stay "balanced".  It doesn't always work like that at least not at most/small schools.

Some people who don't watch the games and just see the box scores want to criticize this team because Jacob Meyer averages 41 and Javier Ward 17 but no one else is above 4. The star players will almost "always" take the most shots. Meyer has gotten his teammates much more involved this year. Most nights he is seeing a double-team at half court. It's up to the other guys to step up and makes shots. This team still has a chance to be really good in my opinion. They have already played the tougher part of their schedule.

• Like 2

I think maybe this is has strayed from my intention of balance scoring.  I am not putting down anyone. I hope Meyer scores 50 a game if it helps the team.  I am merely stating that if we have more people shooting and more people scoring it will force the defense to spread a little. That will clear up the middle and Meyer will have an easier drive to the basket as opposed to trying to weave through four  people who are all sagging because they know their man is not going to shoot. Having the four spot being a viable three point option helps everyone. Three shooters on the perimeter, Jacob driving and a 6-10 Gibson underneath is going to make the defense have to think long and hard who they are going to leave open to double down on Meyer.  It will also spread the zone.

• Like 2

I could be giving Jacob way to much credit but how I saw him play at Highlands it makes me feel like he is really really trying to get his teammates plenty of opportunities to build that confidence in their game which down the road will help the team as a whole.

Yes, Jacob probably could be more selfish and score more and maybe even win a few more of these close games but its still just Regular Season.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Jacob Meyer is shooting 56.6% from the floor. Maybe he should be taking more shots?

VOR - I've heard this argument from more than one person (outside of Latonia). If he was shooting 30% from the field and taking all the shots I would have a problem with it but shooting 57% is what I am trying to say is very impressive. 

2 hours ago, rjal said:

I think maybe this is has strayed from my intention of balance scoring.  I am not putting down anyone. I hope Meyer scores 50 a game if it helps the team.  I am merely stating that if we have more people shooting and more people scoring it will force the defense to spread a little. That will clear up the middle and Meyer will have an easier drive to the basket as opposed to trying to weave through four  people who are all sagging because they know their man is not going to shoot. Having the four spot being a viable three point option helps everyone. Three shooters on the perimeter, Jacob driving and a 6-10 Gibson underneath is going to make the defense have to think long and hard who they are going to leave open to double down on Meyer.  It will also spread the zone.

RJAL - I know you weren't putting anyone down. I was making the point that it doesn't matter how many shots get taken and made from the wings etc....NO ONE is sagging off Meyer to run to the wings and leaving the lane wide open for him. I can make the argument that as the season goes along he will be double-teamed in the half court even more.

1 hour ago, Baseball Nut 24 said:

RJAL - I know you weren't putting anyone down. I was making the point that it doesn't matter how many shots get taken and made from the wings etc....NO ONE is sagging off Meyer to run to the wings and leaving the lane wide open for him. I can make the argument that as the season goes along he will be double-teamed in the half court even more.

no one is sagging on Meyer obviously.  Example last year the scouting report on a team was player xyz (not the 5 position) will not shoot from the outside.  Do no guard them, sag in the paint to help when player abc drives or help side.  It was starter on a solid team not some random player on a weak team.  I didn't believe it until I saw it at the game starter xyz would not take the wide open shot or even drive.  The defender sat in the paint and picked up the drives and help side.  If defender's are forced to pick then maybe you aren't tripled on every drive.   They won't be leaving the lane wide open but it will sure be less congested or if they do all sag we have someone to kick it out to who can shoot from the outside.  The ball won't have to be forced into the middle every time.

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

Meyer is not overrated. Should be, and seems to be, taking 10x the shots of anyone. This honestly isn’t much different than HHS with Sam last year. If you got a dude, get the dude the dang ball! 

I never remember Sam taking 36 shots last year, but I get your point.