LCA -- End of Season -- Left No Doubt or Unrealized Expectations?

gbballfan21

This year's LCA team was loaded with talent. Multiple players with BCS Offers ... Exceptionally talented to the point where many felt that they were unbeatable. 

With that said--do LCA Fans/Supporters see this as an exceptional year ... or something different? 

Admittingly, as a Red and White Tiger fan -- It was a lot of fun going through the season with most people outwardly broadcasting that no one had a chance to knock off the Eagles. 

A few statements: 

This season -- "Leave No Doubt" and lines was a constant message from the program. LCA rightfully had the highest RPI of all classes and easily made it through their schedule. 

From wlqv in the preseason: "“Us seniors kinda have a mindset, we’re leaving no doubt,” said Moore. “And that’s the mindset that we’re going to carry for the rest of the season.”

From the Courier Journal back in January: "“(I’m) happy to get back out there,” he said. “But sad it’s my last year with the program. Our motto this season is leave no doubt. We got to the state championship game, (and) it didn’t go how we wanted. But our goal is to get back and leave no doubt that we’re the best team in 2A.”

Again--nothing wrong with having a rally cry to fight for and believe in, but did that help their cause? Or did this set up a ticking time bomb in Fort Mitchell? (I will give you my thoughts later on). 

It seems like most people thought that the 2020 State Championship for Beechwood was a fluke--(obviously I disagree--and I would say that after 2021 -- there is proof that 2020 wasn't a fluke). 

The helmets and shoulder pads have been put away until next season -- how do LCA people ultimately evaluate and rate this season? Success? (It certainly wasn't a bad season--and there is a ton that LCA should be happy about). Or something completely different? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pretty darn good season but after last year and what they returned I don't see how they are not really disappointed.  I don't think their season slogan made any difference at all.  Two really good teams played for a title two years in a row and one of those teams made more plays in both of those games and deservedly won.  Please don't say that if not for LCA slogan they probably would have won. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BEChargers said:

Pretty darn good season but after last year and what they returned I don't see how they are not really disappointed.  I don't think their season slogan made any difference at all.  Two really good teams played for a title two years in a row and one of those teams made more plays in both of those games and deservedly won.  Please don't say that if not for LCA slogan they probably would have won. 

No .. not so much. Whether it was that ... or some of the other ones ... for instance -- there is a quote in the Herald Leader after the Semi Finals (I would copy/cut/paste but I have used up my free looks this month), there was a comment along the lines of Winning the state championship is the only thing that matters and there is no acceptable outcome other than that (again--it is definitely there). With what LCA accomplished this past season ... with that group of players -- I am just not real sure how you put that type of pressure on high school kids. 

At the same time--I guess I don't understand how or why there were so many people (not just LCA fans) that were so insistent on the thought that they could not be beat and anything less than a state championship would not be acceptable--- to now -- well the tide has shifted back to a general undertone of "LCA players are the best in the state and by having 4 BCS signees .. we are better than everyone else" (I admit that I have a chip on my shoulder--but there are quite a few people who share that opinion). 

With that said--I do think that "Leave No Doubt" is a bit ... "your eyes are bigger than your stomach" as my Mom would say. Walking into Commonwealth on 12/03/2021 ... there are LCA fans right in front of me making the statement "This should be a running clock by halftime". Now I am sure that was all in good fun--but I have to wonder -- how could any team walk into a game against someone like Beechwood (especially after last season) and think that a running clock was even a 1 in a million chance? 

I have found myself thinking numerous times, what in the world did anyone from LCA see on film that made them think they were just going to roll right on through Beechwood without as much as a hiccup? I am 100% sure Beechwood realized what they were up against -- which also speaks to the fact that the Beechwood staff was a little more in tune with how things needed to be handled. My opinion--but I don't think anyone could prove me wrong there either. 

So at the end of the day -- I really think that the way things were handled made it extremely easy for a team like Beechwood would to scratch their head and say "Really"?? And honestly -- a solid dose of reality would have served LCA better. 

Disappointed but from an LCA fan that a few years ago saw a team that couldn’t get out of it’s own district this program has made huge leaps and is moving in the right direction. 

Interesting thought--even in the worst of times--LCA, for me anyway, has always been a team that had the ability to make things extremely difficult for any team that they played. That may have to do with the fact that Beechwood was still in Class A up until 2019 -- where I admittingly didn't pay as much attention to them as I do now. 

If I was from LCA I would see the season right now as another season coming up short feeling like I should’ve won. I’m sure they will look back in years to come and see it was in fact a solid season that came up short. Took down the 1A and 4A state champs but barely came up short. 

As for the slogan, most high school teams have slogans. They wanted to “leave no doubt” AKA win the championship. Like every team wants to do. I think to make it more than that is just making something personal that’s not. 

Top tier teams should have the expectation and standard that they’re willing to accept nothing short of a state championship. That’s a winners attitude. 

Sorry -- I ran off at the mouth for way too long in two posts without ever really making my point--

LCA had the highest RPI, the most BCS recruits in AA, played the toughest schedule, had the best coaching staff, etc. And they also went out there in the public and made it clear that the only acceptable option was winning the state championship. 

Beechwood, not so much. No one expected them to win (outside of a very small, select group), no coaches or parents in the media saying state championship all or nothing. At the end of the day -- as a coaching buddy said to me after week 10: 

"Beechwood is playing with house money--all the pressure will be on the team who has publicly stated the the only thing acceptable is a state championship". 

When you look at how the beginning of the game began -- with Beechwood jumping out 20 to 0 -- to me it feels like my buddy may have been right. 

At the time -- I didn't process the thought. But as it got closer -- and now that it is done -- I don't think I could argue that point even if I wanted to. 

As much as the Boyle game helped Boyle I think in the long run wasn't good for LCA.  The offense they used in that game was only used again against CAL.  QB play was the reason they could not beat Beechwood. 

In LCA's 3 losses the last two seasons the passing numbers were:

6/14 for 138 0 int's 1 TD.  2021 State game vs Beechwood

12/26 for 138 3 int's 0 TD. 2020 State game vs Beechwood

17/40 for 177 4 int's 1 TD. Freddy D.

35/80 483 7 interceptions 2 TD's

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cobraxx said:

Disappointed but from an LCA fan that a few years ago saw a team that couldn’t get out of it’s own district this program has made huge leaps and is moving in the right direction. 

If they didn't get those two transfer this year, I would say LCA would be down next year. Those two kids will have huge roles next year. Emerson and Riffle. 

LCA has been a Top 15 team in the State the past three to four years IMHO. The fact they don't have a Championship Trophy despite that is a bit of a letdown. With that said, their program has elevated to a level that they are competing for State Titles so they have to be pleased.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BEChargers said:

As much as the Boyle game helped Boyle I think in the long run wasn't good for LCA.  The offense they used in that game was only used again against CAL.  QB play was the reason they could not beat Beechwood. 

In LCA's 3 losses the last two seasons the passing numbers were:

6/14 for 138 0 int's 1 TD.  2021 State game vs Beechwood

12/26 for 138 3 int's 0 TD. 2020 State game vs Beechwood

17/40 for 177 4 int's 1 TD. Freddy D.

35/80 483 7 interceptions 2 TD's

Against Beechwood, Xavier Brown and Mason Moore touched the ball 16 of 49 offensive plays (looking at stats from KHSAA). 

Against Boyle, Xavier Brown and Mason Moore touched the ball 47 of 60 offensive plays (again look at stats from KHSAA). 

Normally, when you get the ball in your best players hands, good things tend to happen. 

• Like 4

I’d say the facts are that LCA has achieved a record of 35-5 the last 3 years with 4 of those losses being to eventual state champions in that particular year (Somerset by 2 in 2019; Belfry by 16 in 2019; Beechwood by 1 in 2020 & Beechwood by 2 in 2021). The other loss was a blowout to FD in 2020. With only 180 boys in grades 9-12 who are shared with several other sports (including lacrosse that many schools don’t have) and playing a “Big Boy” schedule every year, LCA has established itself as a legit program that is built to last. Over 170 kids are playing tackle football in grades 3 thru 12 for LCA and the varsity HC is highly involved from the top to bottom. They have really good & consistent coaching at all levels and aren’t afraid to compete against the best…thus the top RPI the last 3 years. 100% of their coaches at all levels are para professionals & most are volunteers. But somehow they figure out how to work full time jobs, find time for family & put that consistent product on the field. As for the theme of “Leave No Doubt” and whether they underachieved, I’d say not at all. The spirit of that theme was to provide a compass for the players to “leave no doubt” in everything they do on and off the field. LCA, like many other teams across the country establish themes and mottos each year that end up on T shirts, etc. Nothing new here. With the schedule they played this year, most thought 6-4 or 5-5 would be the outcome and I know the staff didn’t expect going 10-0 including beating 3 of this year’s state champions (Boyle county, Pikeville & Belfry (via Covid). The coaches would probably say they under achieved as I’ve heard the HC and others on his staff say many times that the goal every year is to win the state championship. They haven’t changed that for the last 3 years and from what I’ve seen, they aren’t changing that goal moving forward. I’m sure if you asked the HC right now (after losing all those talented seniors) that he will tell you that they fully expect to be in the mix for the state title next year as well. What I do know is that their culture is to develop kids to be the very best versions of themselves, work extremely hard (including a great offseason plan) and compete on the biggest stages and not fear losing. Also, I’m hearing that they are very close to their fundraising goal and will be getting new artificial turf which should be ready to play on this coming season. Also saw where 4 of their kids just signed D1 commitments yesterday with some pretty impressive schools & all these kids have been at LCA since middle school. Not sure how many other schools across the state had that many D1 signees? The LCA program & school is definitely doing big things and they are too mature to allow a 2 point loss in a big game to define them. You can be assured that they aren’t feeling sorry for themselves. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DearToday said:

Against Beechwood, Xavier Brown and Mason Moore touched the ball 16 of 49 offensive plays (looking at stats from KHSAA). 

Against Boyle, Xavier Brown and Mason Moore touched the ball 47 of 60 offensive plays (again look at stats from KHSAA). 

Normally, when you get the ball in your best players hands, good things tend to happen. 

Who to blame for not having touches in the championship game? Me, I could be wrong but I"ll say OC.

• Like 1

Well, from some very reliable inside knowledge, Xavier Brown suffered a fractured shoulder and labrum tear early in the 2nd quarter. Only touched it 2 times after that injury BUT showed a lot of heart and came back in to return that last kickoff and dang near house called it! Then their starting center went down with an ACL in mid 3rd quarter which forced moving their soph starting tackle to center and bringing in a true freshman at right tackle which further limited the playbook. Adversity is just part of it but they still had several legit opportunities to win the game. 

• Like 4