Old Photos I Find Interesting

ChickenWyngz

I find photos from different eras in time about as interesting as anything else on earth. I decided to start a thread to share this joy with any of you all that may find it interesting as well. 

First up is a hotdog vendor from the 1953 World Series. The lack of gloves being used is the first thing I notice, and then the attire. I wish I could see a price on there somewhere! 

• Like 1

This is another one that has recently absolutely blown my mind. It is from a pretty well known Cincinnati historian, @cammillerfilms on Twitter, who I follow for a lot of content like this. This is in Newport, KY in 1984 when the train still rolled right down the city street. 

Now a days we have people who can hardly handle a round-about in Newport, but back then we managed without (much) issue, even while a train rolled down the street. 

• Like 2

The Cooper Rubber Co. was located at 8th and Main in the 1920's. There's so much to love in this photo, starting with the old signage advertisements. It added so much life to our downtown! 

The clothes that people wore is mindboggling for a young guy like myself. Can you imagine getting up, everyday, to go downtown, dressed to the nines like that? 

The gasoline tank just chilling right there in front of the building. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

This photo is of Government Square in downtown Cincy in 1955. I want to know what happened to the Old Forester sign in the left hand part of the photo! 

This is what it looks like today. Definitely a lot more boring! 

The Old Forrester sign became the IRS federal building at 5th and Main

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

@ChickenWyngz You should head down to Dixie Chili on Monmouth and check out the pictures of Newport they have hanging on the walls; I think you would really appreciate them based on what you have posted here. Don't forget to get an alligator too.  

I've been! Loved it! There are a few local restaurants around with cool things like this on the walls. Bards Burgers in Latonia, Moonrise donuts in the same city, etc. just to name a few. 

Also, you just gained a lifelong friend because if you ever go to Dixie and don't get the alligator then you did it wrong. 

• Like 1

The crowd was so large for the 1915 World Series that they had to move games 3 and 4 from the Red Sox home field to the more room confines of the Braves, who were then in Boston. Although no one has true records, the attendance was estimated at 30-40k per game. 

Look at all the hats! 

This photo is of a woman working in Perfect Control Co. in Cincinnati, OH. The picture is dated in Feb. of 1946, but I predict it to be a little earlier in the decade. WWII ended in early September 1945 and men were returning home to a job shortage and many women were forced to work back around the house so "men could be men." 

Image: di123082 - Woman working at Perfect Control Co.

In the early 20th century a street car ran from Cincinnati into NKY. Here is a pic of the #9 coming into Newport via the Central Bridge. I truly have believed from the start that Cincinnati missed the boat when they wanted the streetcar to themselves and did not connect to Covington/Newport. 

I think that the number of riders would be up by a lot and that it would be absolutely packed on Bengals Sunday, big UC events, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 10:40 AM, ChickenWyngz said:

In the early 20th century a street car ran from Cincinnati into NKY. Here is a pic of the #9 coming into Newport via the Central Bridge. I truly have believed from the start that Cincinnati missed the boat when they wanted the streetcar to themselves and did not connect to Covington/Newport. 

I think that the number of riders would be up by a lot and that it would be absolutely packed on Bengals Sunday, big UC events, etc. 

My in-laws grew up in Ft. Mitchell.  They often talked about that street car.  They and their friends used it to travel around NKY and loved it.  I remember seeing some of the old tracks as a kid before they were paved over.  I used to wish it was still around, but I guess bus transportation made it obsolete.

• Like 1