NKY Top 10, Aug 30th edition

6 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I guess with Norris being new (even though he isn’t) that he didn’t get this memo.  I know during the Dean era he did it both ways.  I think his first 2 years he allowed JRs on JV but then his final year he DID NOT.  I am pretty sure Wiefering was an anti JR on JV as well (there might have been an exception year, so don’t beat me up on that fact).  I see both sides of this argument.  On one side you think that this is High School soccer, which means if you need to put a JR on JV due to the amount of talent you have on Varsity then you shouldn’t have to be penalized b/c the other team doesn’t have #s for a team that they need to pull from the Middle School ranks.  You see this in football ALL THE TIME, when you have stud SR QB on Varsity and the backup is a JR, where do you think that JR gets his reps? In the JV game!

Now I get the other side of the coin where if you have a bunch of Fresh/Soph but not enough for a JV team and you need to fill the roster with 8th graders then you are penalizing those girls from playing if they don’t have a spot on Varsity.

I think the easiest solution is at least for Girls High School soccer KHSAA needs to exclude this sport having the “can’t have 8th graders and JRs on the field at the same time” rule.  Until then and if coaches aren’t agreeing to the “gentlemen’s” agreement of not putting JRs on JV then you will have to deal with it.

My 2 cents…..

We have had it come up in the past.  We rely on middle schoolers to be able to have a JV team.  I remember being told by a parent on the opposite team that her daughter (a junior playing JV)  had to sit out because the options were sit the juniors or have a forfeit win and no one get to play.  The rule is just to protect the younger kids but one thing we actually discussed last night was that it should be age vs grade.  Why is is safer for a 12 year old at cov latin to play than a 14 year old 8th grader?

Here is the run down of the games this weekend:

Tonight:

#1 NDA vs Carmel @ the Zionsville Invitational

#9 Simon Kenton vs Evansville Memorial @ Zionsville Invitational

Saturday:

#1 NDA vs Zionsville @ the Zionsville Invitational

#2 Highlands @ #7 Campbell County, 4pm

#3 Cooper @ Eastern (Louisville), 11am

#8 Conner @ Cincy Country Day, 11:45am

Male @ #9 Simon Kenton, 5pm

Not a lot of NKY matchups except the Highlands vs Campbell County game.  Enjoy the holiday weekend!

The new Top 10 for next week because of the holiday might be delayed until Tuesday morning.

Good luck to all!

• Like 1

#1 NDA beat Carmel (I believe I read previously unbeaten) on Friday 1-0.  Very good game with NDA definitely controlling the pace of play.  Carmel had a pair of goalies that made several great stops.

Today NDA beat Zionsville 2-0 in the rain.  Physical game played in tough conditions on wet grass.

Worth noting that NDA played these last 3 games without their 3 starting center midfielders (Clark, Henson, and McKnight).  Several younger players stepped up in their absence. 

• Like 2

Weekend update:

First off, hopefully everyone enjoyed a nice long weekend of either Futbol or Football.  It was fun to watch a lot of action this weekend!

NDA update:  See post above from @Big Red, thanks!

Highlands v Campbell County update:  Highlands controlled and rolled past the Camels of Campbell County pretty easily on Saturday, winning 5-2.  Was another game where Norris emptied the bench, playing a LOT of players throughout the game.  There were 2 Stars for the Game in this match.  Super Sophomore Laney Smith had 4, yes 4 ASSISTS!!!  Then the other goal for Highlands came off of Laney Smith’s head from a Jade Rehberger corner kick!!!  What a performance Laney had!  The other Star of the Game goes to Campbell County’s Ruby Dunleavy who early in the match smacked a direct kick over Highlands wall and over the fingertips of Haley Parks for a goal which made her the most prolific goal scorer in Campbell County history!  Ruby added another direct kick goal in the 2nd half to extend her Career lead!  Ruby is ONLY A JUNIOR, so her Campbell County record will sky rocket by the end of her career.   **side-note since it was brought up earlier in the week, Highlands decided to not dress any Juniors for the JV game, instead the Juniors all dressed for Varsity to eliminate the conflict that would have occurred with Campbell County have several 7th and 8th graders on their JV team.

Cooper trounced Eastern High School out of Lville 5-0.

Conner decided to take a trip across the river and probably wished the bridge was closed. They got crushed 6-0 against Cincy Country Day.

Simon Kenton was supposed to have 2 games over the weekend but only had 1 play.  They got beat by Evansville on Friday 3-1.  Their game on Saturday against Male was a COVID cancellation.

New Top 10 in the morning…..Good night!

On 9/2/2021 at 4:40 PM, rjal said:

We have had it come up in the past.  We rely on middle schoolers to be able to have a JV team.  I remember being told by a parent on the opposite team that her daughter (a junior playing JV)  had to sit out because the options were sit the juniors or have a forfeit win and no one get to play.  The rule is just to protect the younger kids but one thing we actually discussed last night was that it should be age vs grade.  Why is is safer for a 12 year old at cov latin to play than a 14 year old 8th grader?

That is a spot-on, and seldom brought up, observation.  Age is a much bigger deal than grade level, especially considering Latin as the example you gave.

The other factor, and it is impossible to regulate, is talent.  I've seen 7th and 8th graders that were so talented that they could more than hold their own with older girls (in soccer as well as basketball), and I've seen plenty of middle schoolers playing up because of the numbers and they had no business being out there from a skill standpoint -- that is when you really risk injury, to both them, as well as skilled players who aren't expecting them to be in the wrong spot, or to do an awkward or out-of-place thing.  

• Like 1