NKY Top 10, Aug 30th edition

Another crazy fun week which is going to result in some shakeups in my Top 10.  

Here you go:

1. NOTRE DAME:  7-0 (Last week #1)

- I mean they just keep winning and not just winning but destroying people!  3 games, 3 wins, 15 goals scored and NOT 1 goal scored on them.  

• 3 games this week (Highlands, Carmel and Zionsville)

2. HIGHLANDS:  3-0 (Last week #2)

- Once again only 1 game this past week down in Lexington, beating Lafayette 2-1.  

• Finally a full slate of games for the Birds this week 3 of them! (Notre Dame, NCC and Campbell County). This will be a great NKY test.  Have I been naive putting them up here at #2 or is this the correct spot???

3. COOPER:  8-2 (Last week #4)

- Dixie’s demise Cooper’s gain.  Cooper just keeps winning!  Had a very successful week going 4-1, with their only lose to a tough team in their Tennessee tourney.

• 2 games this week (Pendleton County and Eastern)

4. NCC:  5-1-1 (Last week #5)

- They had a nice week with wins over Scott and GRC.  Only loss came from #3 Cooper at the end of the hard fought battle 1-0.

• 2 games this week (Dixie and Highlands), could be a tough week for NCC if they don’t have their A game.

5. RYLE:  4-2-1 (Last week #7)

- Only had 1 game last week but it was against a good Oldham Co team and they won 1-0.  This week Ryle might benefit in the rankings with some team cannibilizing each out, with them only having 1 game

• 1 game this week (St Henry)

6. DIXIE:  3-4-1 (Last week #3)

- After a tough week which actually started off well knocking off Campbell County convincingly 4-1, then the wheels fell off against Simon Kenton and then the absolute dismantling they dealt with in Park Hills losing 6-0.  Just like I stated about Simon Kenton a few weeks ago, this Dixie team is a very well coached team which will fix what needs to be fixed when it matters most…..at the end of the season!

• 2 games this week (NCC and Villa Madonna)

7. CAMPBELL COUNTY:  5-2-1 (Last week #8)

- This past week was their Jekyl & Hyde week.  You get beat up by Dixie 4-1 but then turn around and beat Conner 5-2.  I am over here scratching my head!  Still moved up a spot though at the end of the day.

• 3 games this week (Scott, Harrison Co and Highlands)

8. CONNER: 4-3-4 (Last week #6)

- Other than Dixie, Conner was the other team that needed to lick their wounds.  3 straight loses to start the week against Sacred Heart, Campbell County and then the 1st game in Tennessee.  Luckily their last 2 games in Tennessee were against weaker competition that they beat up badly 8-0 and 10-1.

• 2 games this week (Boone Co & CCD)

9. SIMON KENTON:  2-3-1 (Last week #9)

- Only 1 game last week but it was a big win against Dixie.  Too much going on in front of them to move them up though with this win.  They have a big game tonight against Oldham Co which will peak my interest if they can come away with a win against them.

• 4 games this week (Oldham Co, Walton Verona, Evansville & Male)

10. BEECHWOOD:  3-3-1 (Last week #10)

- Had 3 games won 2 lost 1.  Quality win against Villa Madonna.  Also impressed that they ONLY lost to NDA 3-0, moral victory???

• 2 games this week (Bishop Brossart & Holy Cross)

Well like I said a lot of moving pieces.  Let’s see how it shakes out this week.  Am I right or wrong?

The day is here!  What everybody has been anticipating since the beginning of the year!  This is #1 vs #2….there is as much of excitement in Fort Thomas and Park Hills as there will be on Fri, Oct 15th when Highlands vs Cov Cath happens on the gridiron!  All eyes will be glued to this game.  Is NKY as stated earlier in the season from someone a NDA Region and then everyone else?  Or is Highlands worthy of being a contender to make this a 2 team party to the end?

First lets run thru the “other” games, since there are a couple and with the other big one with #4 NCC vs #6 Dixie.  

Here is the list:

#1 NDA @ #2 Highlands, 8pm

#6 Dixie @ #4 NCC, 6:30pm

#7 Campbell County @ Scott, 7pm (this is a continuation to Sat game where Campbell County is leading 2-0)

#9 Simon Kenton @ Oldham County, 7:45pm

#10 Beechwood @ Bishop Brossart, 7:30pm

Now let’s get back to the Main Event:

Here is my take, this is going to be a BATTLE!  First off let’s look at some “like” Opponents:

Beechwood:

Highlands beat Beechwood in a shortened game due to lightning 4-1

NDA beat Beechwood in a full game 3-0

Ryle:

NDA beat Ryle 2-0 in a close game that took NDA late to score those 2 goals to win

Highlands beat Assumption 4-2, who beat Ryle 1-0 the week prior

Here are the questions on my mind which is probably on a lot of people’s minds:

1. Can Highlands somehow break thru NDA’s Iron Curtain defense and score?

2. Can Highlands very young defense handle the pressure of NDA’s offensive attacks?

3. How many set pieces in the attacking third can Highlands limit NDA from having?  In soccerama it seemed like every set piece NDA had they scored at will!

4. Will Gessner for Highlands play the whole game or just a half in goal?

Now since it was asked in last weeks thread I saw on twitter that @859sports is covering this game as their first ever soccer game broadcast!  Get the link off their twitter feed or if they want to drop their tweet in this thread that would be helpful. What a great game to pick as your 1st one @859sports.  Can’t wait to listen!

I’m ready to go are you?

Good luck!

I don't have near the familiarity with teams, coaches, and players on the girls' side as I do the boys, but this feels like a 2-0 Panda win to me.  I know Highlands will be amped up, and I'm sure Coach Kayed is going to have his Pandas frothing at the mouth for this contest, so I think the energy will be even on both sides.  That said, Notre Dame has so many high level girls, so many D1 girls, I just think that proves to be too much for the Birds...at least for this round.  Much can change between now and the 9th Region tourney.

I was interested to see how NDA would handle the challenge of being down several key players in the midfield tonight vs. The Lady Birds.  Definitely started slow, not having their typical possession game, but the defense held up to for them to get settled in.  Another physical game and impressive win for The Pandas.

Recap of last night:

Let’s do the “other” games first.  Dixie finally woke up from their last weeks stumbles and beat up on NCC pretty convincingly.  I might have been a little to aggressive with moving NCC up to the #4 position and to harsh sliding Dixie back to #6.  I did say Dixie will be OK, just a matter of time before they right their ship.

Campbell County resumed their suspended game over the weekend and repeated what they had already done by scoring 2 more goals against Scott to win 4-0.

Beechwood came back from a 0-1 deficit to come away with a win against Bishop Brossart, winning 2-1.

Simon Kenton’s game against Oldham County unfortunately was cancelled due to poor field conditions with all the rain earlier in the day.

Now regarding the “MAIN EVENT”:

For the first 60 minutes of game play it didn’t disappoint.  These 2 schools showed you exactly why they are the Premier programs of NKY High School soccer.  It was a constant battle.  Unfortunately, like I said in my pregame write up Highlands needed to avoid giving NDA set piece opportunities and what did they do they gave NDA a direct kick (granted it was at least 40 yards out) unfortunately it seemed like a miscommunication between defender and Gessner the keeper that occurred and just like that the ball ends up in the back of the net…..very frustrating but fixable.

NDA’s back line defense is 110% legit!  I don’t think Highlands once got a clean look/shot at goal ALL NIGHT LONG!  

At Halftime with the score 1-0, Highlands had to feel good about themselves except for the fact that their fire power of an offense just wasn’t getting any good looks.  Defensively for Highlands they were bending but not breaking.

Then onto the 2nd Half, it felt like the tide was turning offensively for Highlands they were controlling the ball on their attacking half.  You felt like a scoring opportunity was eminent and then just like that a ball was cleared over the top, and then NDA’s attacker was off to the races and had a 1 on 1 with Haley Parks (Highlands 2nd half keeper) and blew it right over her head into the back of the net.

Once that goal was scored it felt like that took the wind out of the Birds sails, the towel was thrown, the bench players were entered into the game and we rode out the last 20 minutes basically hoping to come away with no injuries and we will fight another day.  

NDA got another goal during this period to make the final score 3-0.

Take aways:

NDA is the TOP Team no question

Can Highlands beat them in October? I think they still can, it will take a “perfect” game but NDA could be  beat.

Hghlands biggest weakness is something that ONLY time can heal.  Starting 2 Freshmen on the back line who just have 3 Varsity games under their belt before last night is a weakness.  With that being said they are talented Freshmen who will ONLY get better, the question is will they get better in a month when the stakes are higher…..

Luckily for Highlands unlike the last few weeks we are back on the Pitch on Weds against NCC and Sat against Campbell County.  You win or you learn!  Hopefully they learned a lot last night and they execute those things needing to be fixed on Wed and Sat.

Congrats to the Pandas, we will hopefully meet again!  It sure was a fun exciting night of soccer.

Great atmosphere at the main event!  Most if not all of NDA's games have been fun, well played games with great high school fan bases cheering their teams on.  A lot to keep looking forward to.  NDA has two tough games this weekend in Zionsville, IN. 

• Like 2

What an absolutely beautiful night for soccer in the NKY.  Upper 70’s not a chance of rain.  We have a lot of action going on tonight with ALL BUT NDA in the Top 10 playing tonight.  NDA is getting some much needed rest before they head up to Zionsville to play in there tournament this weekend versus some tough competition.

We only have 1 matchup that pits 2 Top 10 teams which will be #2 Highlands trying to bounce back from Monday’s lose to NDA playing the host #4 NCC.  I look to see all the Top 10 teams winning tonight minus NCC, I am going to go with the Birds in pretty comfortable fashion against NCC.  The only close game I’ll be looking forward to seeing the result is the #10 Beechwood v. Holy Cross game.  

Here is the lineup:

#2 Highlands @ #4 NCC, 6:30pm

#3 Cooper @ Pendleton Co, 7:30pm

St Henry @ #5 Ryle, 7:30pm

Villa @ #6 Dixie, 7:30pm

Harrision Co @ #7 Campbell County, 7:30pm

Boone Co @ #8 Conner, 7:30pm

#9 Simon Kenton @ Walton Verona, 7:30pm

#10 Beechwood @ Holy Cross, 5pm

Good luck to all, enjoy the weather and the soccer!!!

From the Sports Desk:

Did I say that it was going to be a beautiful day of soccer?  Wow, what a night!  I hope it stays like this for the next 6 weeks.  Tonight went almost as planned with every team in the Top 10 winning minus NCC since they played Highlands BUT there was ONE exception!  The Ryle Raiders somehow gave life to the St Henry Crusaders, finishing up with a 1-1 TIE!  That is the second game ending in a tie (Conner) that St Henry has mustered against Top 10 opponents, they are still looking for their first win against a Top 10 team to gain maybe some votes to be included in the Top 10.  Their next 2 games will be against Dixie and Beechwood…..maybe they have a chance.

I know people might get excited seeing a close final score with Highlands only winning 4-3 against NCC but this was a 4-1 game until the very end when NCC snuck 2 late late goals.  Norris allowed a LOT of players to play in this game, even some normally JV Juniors that don’t typically dress Varsity.  The BEST part of the game is that we welcome Senior Macy Hedenberg back to the pitch from being absent all summer and the beginning of the season due to injury.  Welcome back Macy!!!  She will be a HUGE addition to the lineup when she gets her game legs fully back.

Here are the score run downs:

#2 Highlands beat #4 NCC, 4-3

#3 Cooper beat Pendleton Co, 8-0

#5 Ryle tied St Henry, 1-1

#6 Dixie beat Villa, 4-0

#7 Campbell Co beat Harrison Co, 8-2

#8 Conner beat Boone Co, 10-0

#9 Simon Kenton beat Walton Verona, 5-0

#10 Beechwood beat Holy Cross, 5-0

No games on Thursday!  Rest Up for the weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My two cents on the current top ten, based on teams that I have seen live, is that I didn't see much difference between #10 Beechwood and #5 Ryle.  Top notch goalies, play good, tough defense, don't threaten to score a lot.

Agree with Cooper at 3, and I don't know what to do with Dixie.  Dixie has been very inconsistent.  In general, they are opposite of Beechwood and Ryle.  Multiple talented kids on offense that can create assists and put the ball in the net, but don't seem too interested on the defensive side.  I probably agree with you that Dixie will figure it out and has more talent than a few of the other teams. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I know people might get excited seeing a close final score with Highlands only winning 4-3 against NCC but this was a 4-1 game until the very end when NCC snuck 2 late late goals.  Norris allowed a LOT of players to play in this game, even some normally JV Juniors that don’t typically dress Varsity.  The BEST part of the game is that we welcome Senior Macy Hedenberg back to the pitch from being absent all summer and the beginning of the season due to injury.  Welcome back Macy!!!  She will be a HUGE addition to the lineup when she gets her game legs fully back.

How does this work out?  It's been an agreement amongst coaches for years that juniors do not play JV as so many schools rely on middle school girls to fill JV rosters.  

If the Conner tie vs St Henry was at St Henry, I can see it. 

As a Ryle Dad I would like to thank Boone County and our AD for making our home game on nice pretty new turf move to St Henry's not exactly (maintained at all?) to make sure football can use the stadium when they need it.

23 minutes ago, DadofTwins said:

If the Conner tie vs St Henry was at St Henry, I can see it. 

As a Ryle Dad I would like to thank Boone County and our AD for making our home game on nice pretty new turf move to St Henry's not exactly (maintained at all?) to make sure football can use the stadium when they need it.

St. Henry could lose small children in their grass at certain times, that is for sure.

40 minutes ago, nees1212 said:

How does this work out?  It's been an agreement amongst coaches for years that juniors do not play JV as so many schools rely on middle school girls to fill JV rosters.  

I guess with Norris being new (even though he isn’t) that he didn’t get this memo.  I know during the Dean era he did it both ways.  I think his first 2 years he allowed JRs on JV but then his final year he DID NOT.  I am pretty sure Wiefering was an anti JR on JV as well (there might have been an exception year, so don’t beat me up on that fact).  I see both sides of this argument.  On one side you think that this is High School soccer, which means if you need to put a JR on JV due to the amount of talent you have on Varsity then you shouldn’t have to be penalized b/c the other team doesn’t have #s for a team that they need to pull from the Middle School ranks.  You see this in football ALL THE TIME, when you have stud SR QB on Varsity and the backup is a JR, where do you think that JR gets his reps? In the JV game!

Now I get the other side of the coin where if you have a bunch of Fresh/Soph but not enough for a JV team and you need to fill the roster with 8th graders then you are penalizing those girls from playing if they don’t have a spot on Varsity.

I think the easiest solution is at least for Girls High School soccer KHSAA needs to exclude this sport having the “can’t have 8th graders and JRs on the field at the same time” rule.  Until then and if coaches aren’t agreeing to the “gentlemen’s” agreement of not putting JRs on JV then you will have to deal with it.

My 2 cents…..

3 minutes ago, The Double Deuce said:

St. Henry could lose small children in their grass at certain times, that is for sure.

I will pile on that Morsher Field for NCC last night was horrendous!  I realize all the rain Tuesday might have prevented the grounds crew from mowing it Tuesday or even yesterday morning but we had 6 inch high grass we were playing in yesterday. 

• Like 1