Covington Catholic - 2021/22 Schedule

St. Anthony’s of the Midwest! 

Cov Cath will continue to get high level kids with the coaching staff they have, the experience and connections they can offer, and a yearly chance to get to Rupp. 

I think schools boycotting Cov Cath will help them play tougher competition throughout the state, regionally and nationally.

4 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

I don't blame CovCath one iota for accepting kids from wherever, as long as they are playing within the specified rules.  Worth noting, CovCath has a ton of Ohio kids in the hallways that aren't playing basketball, or anything else.  It is a great, private, option for a lot of Ohio communities at about 66% of St. Xavier (and in most cases, much closer than Reading and Paddock).

I also don't blame other schools for not liking it.

Those schools that are refusing to play CCH are only hurting their own players.  Just think of the memories those St. Henry kids gained last year when they took down the Colonels on their home floor.  They have those memories and will talk about that game and the region game the rest of their lives.  That game may have been the reason they won the region game, who knows?    

The decision to not play CCH is petty, but knowing some of the coaches who are making this decision, doesn't surprise me one bit.  In the end, it is the kids that lose out.  If you want to be the best, play the best and beat em.  If not, take the lumps and learn what you need to work on.  Stop crying and suck it up, but that is the culture we live in these days.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PP1 said:

Are they not in the Northern KY Athletic Conference? I thought they had to play all the Boone County Schools? 

These are the NKAC schools:

Beechwood
Bellevue
Bishop Brossart
Boone County
Calvary Christian
Campbell Co.
Conner
Cooper
Covington Catholic
Dayton
Dixie Heights
Heritage Academy
Highlands
Holmes
Holy Cross
Lloyd Memorial
Ludlow
Newport
Newport Central Catholic
Notre Dame Academy
Ryle
St. Henry
Scott
Simon Kenton
Villa Madonna Academy

7 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

These are the NKAC schools:

Beechwood
Bellevue
Bishop Brossart
Boone County
Calvary Christian
Campbell Co.
Conner
Cooper
Covington Catholic
Dayton
Dixie Heights
Heritage Academy
Highlands
Holmes
Holy Cross
Lloyd Memorial
Ludlow
Newport
Newport Central Catholic
Notre Dame Academy
Ryle
St. Henry
Scott
Simon Kenton
Villa Madonna Academy

But these are further broken down by Division.  Used to be that you had to play everyone in your division to qualify for conference awards but as we all know, the importance of that has dwindled a lot over the years.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Who are the schools choosing not to play CCH?

14 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

I don’t have the inside information on that, but two noticeable omissions from the schedule are the defending state champions and Cooper.  

Ron Dawn decreed that New Cath was done playing Cov Cath after the basketball team lost in 2019/20. Cooper, Highlands, Newport, Scott, Campbell County, and Boone County are usually in the mix, although (working from memory) in year-to-year there's generally one or two of those teams that may drop or be added from the schedule.

I'm definitely surprised not seeing Highlands and Cooper on there. Scott, Newport and Campbell have been the ones I seem to recall switching back and forth the most from being on Cov Cath's schedule. With the exception of last year, which was obviously a mess because of COVID, I can't remember the last time Cov Cath hasn't played Boone County. Same with Ryle...who we actually did manage to play last year amid COVID, but the Ryle game has turned into kind of a boat race in recent years.

1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Ron Dawn decreed that New Cath was done playing Cov Cath after the basketball team lost in 2019/20. Cooper, Highlands, Newport, Scott, Campbell County, and Boone County are usually in the mix, although (working from memory) in year-to-year there's generally one or two of those teams that may drop or be added from the schedule.

I'm definitely surprised not seeing Highlands and Cooper on there. Scott, Newport and Campbell have been the ones I seem to recall switching back and forth the most from being on Cov Cath's schedule. With the exception of last year, which was obviously a mess because of COVID, I can't remember the last time Cov Cath hasn't played Boone County. Same with Ryle...who we actually did manage to play last year amid COVID, but the Ryle game has turned into kind of a boat race in recent years.

If non-district games don't help both programs, what's the point of scheduling them? I have no issue with schools not wanting to schedule games if it doesn't help the program. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Thank you for the background. I was not aware of all of this; I am still trying to get a grasp on the other sports besides football and girls soccer. 

It seems to me that HHS and Cooper would want to play CCH to prepare themselves for the tournaments. Like baseball, the regular season means absolutely nothing. Play the best to prepare yourself for when it matters. Or am I missing something? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Thank you for the background. I was not aware of all of this; I am still trying to get a grasp on the other sports besides football and girls soccer. 

It seems to me that HHS and Cooper would want to play CCH to prepare themselves for the tournaments. Like baseball, the regular season means absolutely nothing. Play the best to prepare yourself for when it matters. Or am I missing something? 

In addition, I would think Cov Cath would be one of the best gates of the year and when it comes down to things, money usually talks. 

If it is the coaches at HHS and Cooper who are making these decisions , that is very surprising, I thought they were competitors.  Watching them when they were in high school and college, they were both competitors and not scared of anyone, what changed?

1 hour ago, bjknku02 said:

In addition, I would think Cov Cath would be one of the best gates of the year and when it comes down to things, money usually talks. 

If it is the coaches at HHS and Cooper who are making these decisions , that is very surprising, I thought they were competitors.  Watching them when they were in high school and college, they were both competitors and not scared of anyone, what changed?

Who said anyone is scared of anything?  Think it is a statement that is being made.

Questioning the competitive nature of Coach Listerman and Sullivan is comical.

These two are leaders at their schools, highly successful as coaches, and have a fire and passion for winning.

• Like 3

From what I have observed and am learning, albeit an admittedly small sample, I highly doubt it has anything to do with being scared or lacking competitiveness. I do not know Coopers HC but I do know Kevin at HHS and he’s not one to backdown from anything or anyone. 

Based on what I have heard/read, it seems to me that schools are opting not to play CCH to make a statement that questions how things are being done at CCH in terms of players coming into the program. 

However, As someone who was a football player at HHS when a lot of schools were ducking us because players were moving into Ft. Thomas to be a part of something great (just like CCH), I think there are better ways to go about proving your point to CCH than simply opting not to play them; I honestly think it does more harm to your own program to not play them than it does to CCH. Just my opinion. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Who said anyone is scared of anything?  Think it is a statement that is being made.

Quite the statement to their players, isn't it?  Think those St. Henry players wished they wouldn't have played CCH last year?