Covington Catholic - 2021/22 Schedule

14 minutes ago, throwback32 said:

Questioning the competitive nature of Coach Listerman and Sullivan is comical.

These two are leaders at their schools, highly successful as coaches, and have a fire and passion for winning.

Then why not step up to the plate and take down the almighty Colonels?  It worked quite well for St. Henry last year.  I would have never questioned their competitive nature, but with this decision I question that competitive nature.  I am sorry, I expected much better out of them.  What does this teach their kids in the game of life, which in the long run, this is all about?  

10 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

From what I have observed and am learning, albeit an admittedly small sample, I highly doubt it has anything to do with being scared or lacking competitiveness. I do not know Coopers HC but I do know Kevin at HHS and he’s not one to backdown from anything or anyone. 

Based on what I have heard/read, it seems to me that schools are opting not to play CCH to make a statement that questions how things are being done at CCH in terms of players coming into the program. 

However, As someone who was a football player at HHS when a lot of schools were ducking us because players were moving into Ft. Thomas to be a part of something great (just like CCH), I think there are better ways to go about proving your point to CCH than simply opting not to play them; I honestly think it does more harm to your own program to not play them than it does to CCH. Just my opinion. 

I agree with your last statement.  I am not in the know who exactly made the decision, but as an outsider it looks very weak for both of them, as well as the others choosing not to play them.  In the end, the kids are the ones that lose out.  As a former football player, I am sure those rivalry games were some of the best memories of your life.  Unfortunately, the powers that be will be taking those memories away from the kids.  You ask the players what they would want to do and I would imagine not a single one of them wouldn't want to play CCH.  In the end, the kids lose out and that is sad!  

9 minutes ago, bjknku02 said:

Then why not step up to the plate and take down the almighty Colonels?  It worked quite well for St. Henry last year.  I would have never questioned their competitive nature, but with this decision I question that competitive nature.  I am sorry, I expected much better out of them.  What does this teach their kids in the game of life, which in the long run, this is all about?  

We all know what this is about.  It has nothing to do with being competitive and scared to play.  Highlands was destroyed by Cov Cath the first 6 years Listerman was at HHS, didn’t stop him from scheduling them.  

If coaches in NKY feel the need to stand up and “boycott” Cov Cath because of perceived inappropriate behavior, then I say fine.

Its the stakeholders in Park Hills who should ask the question as to why this is happening.

And I’m sure the kids in the Fort will learn all they need to about “life” and being competitive every time they walk under the state championship banner.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, throwback32 said:

We all know what this is about.  It has nothing to do with being competitive and scared to play.  Highlands was destroyed by Cov Cath the first 6 years Listerman was at HHS, didn’t stop him from scheduling them.  

If coaches in NKY feel the need to stand up and “boycott” Cov Cath because of perceived inappropriate behavior, then I say fine.

Its the stakeholders in Park Hills who should ask the question as to why this is happening.

And I’m sure the kids in the Fort will learn all they need to about “life” and being competitive every time they walk under the state championship banner.

It honestly doesn't hurt CCH at all, they seemed to find some very good teams to play, just take a look at the schedule.  

The last statement is laughable.  I guess I am still waiting for my "life" lessons and competitiveness from walking under a banner.  

42 minutes ago, bjknku02 said:

It honestly doesn't hurt CCH at all, they seemed to find some very good teams to play, just take a look at the schedule.  

The last statement is laughable.  I guess I am still waiting for my "life" lessons and competitiveness from walking under a banner.  

Hazard has a couple of banners. So does Seneca. I'm not sure those kids are learning very much about life and competitiveness when they stroll around under those banners these days.

Folks need to call this what it is. This is NKAC coaches having sour grapes. If Listerman and Sully and company are gonna literally take their ball and go home, then so be it. CCH follows the same set of rules they do. Like you said, CCH found very good teams to fill out the sked.

The stakeholders at CCH know exactly what's going on. A decent number of them don't like having kids coming from Ohio and playing for the CCH, who used to thrive off of kids from diocesan schools. A decent number of them like seeing the program's success and a decent number of them don't really care one way or the other. The school enrollment is doing just fine.

If anything, with the number of kids from all around Boone/Kenton/Campbell County that go to CCH these days, I'd think that the public school coaches would border on gratitude for all the transfers from Ohio that are giving kids a reason to think about staying in their district public schools instead of going to CCH and potentially being benched when some next best thing transfers in and Ruthsatz benches him to play the transfer. I guess Sully didn't see much impact from having TJ Deere back at Cooper to lead the team in points a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bjknku02 said:

You ask the players what they would want to do and I would imagine not a single one of them wouldn't want to play CCH.  In the end, the kids lose out and that is sad!  

I think the kids will be okay. 

Looking at this year's schedule, I appreciate more and more the St. Henry program.  Good on them for staying on CCH's schedule.  I expect the Dixie game to be a very tough challenge early.  Congratulations to Coach B for putting together another outstanding schedule.  Quite frankly, the collective competition on the schedule is far better than what CCH would see with a traditional, NKY laden schedule.  CCH may not get out of the 9th this year, but it sure as heck won't be because they weren't tested in the regular season.

As far as any messages or statements being delivered by the other coaches in NKY - so what, its their right to run their program as they see fit.  There are some fine basketball coaches/leaders of young men in NKY.  I'll roll with the dude in Park Hills - he's pretty freaking good.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just throwing this out there to stir the pot.  Are the folks defending the rights of the program to bring in whoever they want "according to the rules" the same folks who have been whining about the quarterback in Ft. Mitchell?  Again, just asking for a friend.    Go Bulldogs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bulldog77 said:

Just throwing this out there to stir the pot.  Are the folks defending the rights of the program to bring in whoever they want "according to the rules" the same folks who have been whining about the quarterback in Ft. Mitchell?  Again, just asking for a friend.    Go Bulldogs.

Bingo. Exactly the same folks. Quite ironic isn't it? 

There’s also the fact that NKY folks, including Beechwood and Holmes fans (I suspect), have been complaining about CCH for at least  the last 3-5 years - long before any complaining surfaced about the 5th year dude in Ft Mitchell (of whom, I couldn’t care less about).  So, I guess the fact is there’s plenty of blame to be shared, when it comes to whining.  As an aside, didn’t Holmes have a couple of Ohio players on their last state title team?  I have no idea, but gathered that from BGP chatter at the time.  If I’m wrong, I apologize.