Another Hideous Exhibition of MLB Baseball

Monday night's game and I got off on the wrong foot when I tuned in at 7:10pm and discovered that the game had started at 6:40pm, was in the third inning and tied 2-2.  Where is everyone in such a hurry to get that we have to start at 6:40pm???   7:10pm, to me pushes the envelope.  For decades the standard, traditional start time was 8:05pm and allowed for a nice pre-game meal, or social gathering at the local pub.  While I'm not advocating a return to 8:05pm, maybe a compromise at 7:30pm would be more realistic.

The Phillies approached this game like a "Kid's Glove" game, starting a pitcher just called up from AAA for the occasion, while the Reds played it like Game 7 of the World Series.  Despite their best efforts against the rookie, we trailed 4-2 through six innings, at which time the Phillies upearthed some 33 year old named Feliz who hadn't pitched in the majors since 2017, was abysmally dismal and almost predictably gave up the grand slam home run to Castellano after loading the bases.  He was lifted for someone equally dismal, named Delosantos, who, combined with Feliz allowed the Reds 9 runs.  I'm sure Feliz and Delosantos are sitting side by side on the plane back to the Dominican Republic this morning.  At that point, refunds should have been issued and the game called off.  Another exhibition of the lack of quality in today's MLB product.  And of course, someone forgot to tell Sadek and Lark that the game was a sham as they bellowed as if the Reds were actually accomplishing something.  A few more "Oh, my goodnesses" and I will have to replace my TV - these two are abhorrently annoying. 

On the bright side, Suarez made the second of two Brooks Robinsonesque plays at third base in the past week that was worth the price of admission - Major League stuff, and Castellanos continues to hit the baseball at a torrid clip.  

Hopefully, the Padres will bring some sanity and competitive big league play with them to GABP for the remainder of the week.     

• 2 weeks later...

The whole love-fest event reminded me of a summer picnic softball game.

If this were the Fosse-Rose game, Pete would have stopped and thrown his arms up and given Fosse a bear hug while being called out.

The home run derby felt staged with all of the attempted levity.  I lasted about ten minutes. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 10:54 AM, OlDog75 said:

Speaking of Hideous Exhibition of MLB Baseball, how 'bout those beer league softball unis worn at the All Star game? Yikes!!

Those were bad.   The reeked of a straight out cash grab by Nike.   How are you supposed to know who plays for your favorite team, if their uniform looks like everyone elses from a distance?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Raven said:

Those were bad.   The reeked of a straight out cash grab by Nike.   How are you supposed to know who plays for your favorite team, if their uniform looks like everyone elses from a distance?

I am beginning to believe that MLB is being run by a bunch of morons.  Manfred is a joke, and the people around him have to be nothing but a bunch of stooges.  Nobody thinks about the repercussions of anything.  Idjits. 

• Like 2

On 7/16/2021 at 8:07 AM, CincySportsFan said:

I am beginning to believe that MLB is being run by a bunch of morons.  Manfred is a joke, and the people around him have to be nothing but a bunch of stooges.  Nobody thinks about the repercussions of anything.  Idjits. 

I did like the Derby touch of having all participants and players in attendance that night wearing #44 in honor of the late great Mr. Aaron.   They need more moments like that.   But I don't think Manfred is into that.   He just wants to worry about expanding and finding Oakland a new home.

• 5 weeks later...

Things have completely gone off of the deep end in the parity department.  The Cubs have plunged to Pittsburgh Pirate depths, have lost 12 in a row, are 20 games out of their division lead, were out-manned/out-talented by the Reds tonight, and we've got two more games with them, before we play the 17 games under .500 Florida Marlins for four more games of futility.

The only saving grace to this debacle is that we are on the good side of these mis-matches.  

Bad baseball on a nightly basis sucks.  For me, it is hard to watch, and to listen to John Whateverhisnameis  continue to glorify these bingo free-space wins, turns my stomach.

And the shame of it is, that even with this Mickey Mouse schedule, we are battling for a "wild card" spot in the playoffs.  

On 8/17/2021 at 12:26 AM, Mustang said:

Things have completely gone off of the deep end in the parity department. 

Bad baseball on a nightly basis sucks.  For me, it is hard to watch, and to listen to John Whateverhisnameis  continue to glorify these bingo free-space wins, turns my stomach.

MLB has never been about parity.  Ever.  And they have done nothing to even try to encourage it.  The draft doesn't play as as important role as it does for the NFL or NBA, so the order of it isn't as big of a deal.  People will harp about the need for a salary cap, but more importantly, I think, there really is no payroll floor (aside from league minimum contracts).  So you have some teams that willingly keep theirs low by trading off any "good" players for lower-priced prospects.  If your team goes that route, hopefully you're lucky you have an owner/management that's a.) good at judging talent, and b.) still willing to open up the wallet to find those elusive missing pieces at the right time.  Most recently, it's what the Astros did.  For three straight years they lost over 100 games and finished no closer than 40 games out.  But, two years after that, they're in the playoffs, and two years after that, they win* the World Series.  Unfortunately, most of these owners simply take the extra money and hide.  Thus the "rebuild" continues for several more years.  And when you have other owners who ARE willing to spend the money, you end up with payrolls that are 4 times, 5 times, maybe even 6 times, greater than others.  And usually with that, comes a huge disparity in talent.  It doesn't guarantee you a WS win, but it often gives you a head start on one.  And in between, it can make for some ugly games between the "haves" and the "have nots".

1 hour ago, CincySportsFan said:

MLB has never been about parity.  Ever.  And they have done nothing to even try to encourage it.  The draft doesn't play as as important role as it does for the NFL or NBA, so the order of it isn't as big of a deal.  People will harp about the need for a salary cap, but more importantly, I think, there really is no payroll floor (aside from league minimum contracts).  So you have some teams that willingly keep theirs low by trading off any "good" players for lower-priced prospects.  If your team goes that route, hopefully you're lucky you have an owner/management that's a.) good at judging talent, and b.) still willing to open up the wallet to find those elusive missing pieces at the right time.  Most recently, it's what the Astros did.  For three straight years they lost over 100 games and finished no closer than 40 games out.  But, two years after that, they're in the playoffs, and two years after that, they win* the World Series.  Unfortunately, most of these owners simply take the extra money and hide.  Thus the "rebuild" continues for several more years.  And when you have other owners who ARE willing to spend the money, you end up with payrolls that are 4 times, 5 times, maybe even 6 times, greater than others.  And usually with that, comes a huge disparity in talent.  It doesn't guarantee you a WS win, but it often gives you a head start on one.  And in between, it can make for some ugly games between the "haves" and the "have nots".

Agree with most of what you say, but baseball needs a salary floor and a cap or else most years will be the same teams in the playoffs.  Although some could say the teams that spend like crazy have no guarantees of success because as you said they don’t have baseball savvy people evaluating talent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Agree with most of what you say, but baseball needs a salary floor and a cap or else most years will be the same teams in the playoffs.  Although some could say the teams that spend like crazy have no guarantees of success because as you said they don’t have baseball savvy people evaluating talent.

Yes, there needs to be a tighter operating window from the highest to the lowest.  And there needs to be a significant penalty for breaking it, whether that be exceeding it, or dropping below it.  The players union will probably throw a fit at the prospect of a cap, but they'd make up for it on the lower end.

On 6/29/2021 at 11:51 AM, Mustang said:

Monday night's game and I got off on the wrong foot when I tuned in at 7:10pm and discovered that the game had started at 6:40pm, was in the third inning and tied 2-2.  Where is everyone in such a hurry to get that we have to start at 6:40pm???   7:10pm, to me pushes the envelope.  For decades the standard, traditional start time was 8:05pm and allowed for a nice pre-game meal, or social gathering at the local pub.  While I'm not advocating a return to 8:05pm, maybe a compromise at 7:30pm would be more realistic.

The Phillies approached this game like a "Kid's Glove" game, starting a pitcher just called up from AAA for the occasion, while the Reds played it like Game 7 of the World Series.  Despite their best efforts against the rookie, we trailed 4-2 through six innings, at which time the Phillies upearthed some 33 year old named Feliz who hadn't pitched in the majors since 2017, was abysmally dismal and almost predictably gave up the grand slam home run to Castellano after loading the bases.  He was lifted for someone equally dismal, named Delosantos, who, combined with Feliz allowed the Reds 9 runs.  I'm sure Feliz and Delosantos are sitting side by side on the plane back to the Dominican Republic this morning.  At that point, refunds should have been issued and the game called off.  Another exhibition of the lack of quality in today's MLB product.  And of course, someone forgot to tell Sadek and Lark that the game was a sham as they bellowed as if the Reds were actually accomplishing something.  A few more "Oh, my goodnesses" and I will have to replace my TV - these two are abhorrently annoying. 

On the bright side, Suarez made the second of two Brooks Robinsonesque plays at third base in the past week that was worth the price of admission - Major League stuff, and Castellanos continues to hit the baseball at a torrid clip.  

Hopefully, the Padres will bring some sanity and competitive big league play with them to GABP for the remainder of the week.     

Just announced all home games will begin at 6:40 in 2022.

MLB needs to figure out the finances to keep the Yankees and Dodgers from ravaging the rest of baseball simply because they have infinite budgets.   A cap is the first step.   And I agree with a minimum salary floor as well.   Teams like the Pirates can't cut budget to spend $40mil and then cry about being non competitive because they can't pay $200mil like the Dodgers.