Los Angeles Lakers 2020 NBA Champions

Congrats to the Lakers (my favorite team since 1979) on their 17th World Title. With this win the Lakers now have tied the Boston Celtics as the the winningest franchises in NBA history. Also congrats to LeBron James as the first player in history to win 3 finals MVP's with 3 different teams and his 4 overall is 2nd only to Michael Jordan's 6. James averaged 29.8 points, 11.8 rebounds, and 8.5 assists that's pretty good for a 35 year old in his 17th season. I'm sure @PurplePride92is happy as well.

• Like 1

I had to throw up a tad when Dwight Howard - who was unplayable in this series - gets inserted with 90 seconds to play and jacks up an uncontested 30 footer instead of letting the clock run down. He of course makes it and celebrates like he was the missing link of this Lakers team.

• Like 3

Props to Miami for fighting like they did. Dragic was their most important player and he goes down in game 1, as does Bam and he never looked the same after returning game 4. Yet they battled and found a way to steal a couple games when they had no business being in these games.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Congrats to the Lakers (my favorite team since 1979) on their 17th World Title. With this win the Lakers now have tied the Boston Celtics as the the winningest franchises in NBA history. Also congrats to LeBron James as the first player in history to win 3 finals MVP's with 3 different teams and his 4 overall is 2nd only to Michael Jordan's 6. James averaged 29.8 points, 11.8 rebounds, and 8.5 assists that's pretty good for a 35 year old in his 17th season. I'm sure @PurplePride92is happy as well.

I actually thought this was James' best NBA Finals. Last night I didn't think much about as it was way out of hand when he got his garbage points, but game 5 he was amazing. Still by far the best PG in basketball and he looks great for as long as he has been playing. His "career" is on track to surpass any other's career, and could argue he owns that crown. The GOAT conversation is all that is left, but I think both sides are dug in on that debate. If you think he is the GOAT, you were chanting that five years ago. The other side will never forgive his petrified act in 2011 and you find Jordan's resume infallible.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PurplePride92 said:

As long as there are asterisks for NASCAR, NHL, MLB, MLS, Kentucky Derby, The Masters, the Super Bowl, etc then you won’t get any debate from me.

I don't get the asterisk argument at all. Every team had the same situation, the game schedule was roughly the same, there was no travel. The mental aspect was there for all involved (and I'd imagine it got tougher the longer you stayed in the playoffs). The better team won almost every series which is just like every year in the postseason. I don't see any reason to downgrade or asterisk the championship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I don't get the asterisk argument at all. Every team had the same situation, the game schedule was roughly the same, there was no travel. The mental aspect was there for all involved (and I'd imagine it got tougher the longer you stayed in the playoffs). The better team won almost every series which is just like every year in the postseason. I don't see any reason to downgrade or asterisk the championship.

No asterisks are warranted, but I do think a footnote is necessary. All teams were subjected to the same rules, but I would push-back a little on every team being in the same situation. In a vacuum (bubble), yes, they were in the same environment. But the push to play was nowhere near unanimous. Many opted out, some went under protest, and a host of players were questioning their place in the social justice movement.

The Lakers did their thing, have two of the top players in the league, and a suffocating defense. It all played out like it should and they are more than deserving of the crown. But it is hard to fully dismiss the surrounding circumstances.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bugatti said:

No asterisks are warranted, but I do think a footnote is necessary. All teams were subjected to the same rules, but I would push-back a little on every team being in the same situation. In a vacuum (bubble), yes, they were in the same environment. But the push to play was nowhere near unanimous. Many opted out, some went under protest, and a host of players were questioning their place in the social justice movement.

The Lakers did their thing, have two of the top players in the league, and a suffocating defense. It all played out like it should and they are more than deserving of the crown. But it is hard to fully dismiss the surrounding circumstances.

They played games and a champion was crowned.  Footnote, asterisk, blah blah blah.  Folks can make all the footnotes and asterisks all you want.  The best team won.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bugatti said:

Let's not forget the two LA teams were the only ones to vote(or whatever the process was) against restarting after the boycott in the first round. They didn't think it was the right thing either. 

Also, the Champs* had a key player opt out, which begs the question, would KCP have had a shot at Game 4 magic if Avery Bradley hadn't opted out?