Anyone have a partial meniscus removal?

OlDog75

Second week of December last year I had partial meniscus removal surgery after a fall, in of all places, my shower.  I still have pain, some stiffness at times, and cannot walk without the aid of a cane.  The ortho surgeon also did some grinding on bone joints to remove some arthritis.  I'm rather disappointed with my recovery especially not being able to walk any distance even with the cane.  This has also aggravated my hip on same side as knee.  Anyone have experience dealing with this type of surgery?  Will this ever get any better?  And yes, I did go to the amount of rehab visits permitted by my insurance.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, OlDog75 said:

Was hoping I'd get a little feedback.  Oh well.

I hadn't seen your post.

Yes, been there, done that, got the t-shirt.  Mine took longer than expected to feel as close to 100% as it would ever get, probably a few months.  I also had a lot of arthritis and bone spurs removed.  Ultimately after a year or two I asked what else the orthopedic doctor might suggest.  I got a Synvisc 1 injection in my right knee, I believe that was in the spring of 2018.  About a year later I had it in both knees.  It definitely helped, but is expensive and not all insurance companies cover it.  I'm going to continue with those injections for as long as my insurance will cover them.  

Having bad knee's is the worst.  Ohio State University was starting research on meniscus like implants but I'm not sure how far it's come a long.  Ideally something of that nature is the goal and something I'm hoping one day is an option.  I turn 36 next week and am hoping to put a lot more miles on my knees.

8 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

I hadn't seen your post.

Yes, been there, done that, got the t-shirt.  Mine took longer than expected to feel as close to 100% as it would ever get, probably a few months.  I also had a lot of arthritis and bone spurs removed.  Ultimately after a year or two I asked what else the orthopedic doctor might suggest.  I got a Synvisc 1 injection in my right knee, I believe that was in the spring of 2018.  About a year later I had it in both knees.  It definitely helped, but is expensive and not all insurance companies cover it.  I'm going to continue with those injections for as long as my insurance will cover them.  

Having bad knee's is the worst.  Ohio State University was starting research on meniscus like implants but I'm not sure how far it's come a long.  Ideally something of that nature is the goal and something I'm hoping one day is an option.  I turn 36 next week and am hoping to put a lot more miles on my knees.

Unfortunately, I was informed by my Doc my insurance, through state of KY, does not cover the gel knee injections.  Doc told me $440+ per shot.  So I'm basically stuck this way for now.  I'm rather disappointed in the outcome.  Thanks for the info.

12 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

Sorry, but just haven't been there and done that yet.

Hope you never do 4 Quarters.  Just pay attention getting in and out of your shower if it's not a "walk-in".  Thanks for responding though.

7 hours ago, OlDog75 said:

Unfortunately, I was informed by my Doc my insurance, through state of KY, does not cover the gel knee injections.  Doc told me $440+ per shot.  So I'm basically stuck this way for now.  I'm rather disappointed in the outcome.  Thanks for the info.

Did they mention PRP treatments?  I had a co-worker that was also on the state health insurance plan.  The insurance would not cover all of the Synvisc injections, but do cover the PRP treatments, or at least enough of it that they were affordable.  I haven't done them but co-worker said they helped a lot.

11 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

Did they mention PRP treatments?  I had a co-worker that was also on the state health insurance plan.  The insurance would not cover all of the Synvisc injections, but do cover the PRP treatments, or at least enough of it that they were affordable.  I haven't done them but co-worker said they helped a lot.

I think the reason it was not an option is because I had a good portion of the meniscus removed.  It was torn beyond any repair and It does not regenerate.  But I'll ask about it when I go back.  Thanks for all the info.

1 hour ago, OlDog75 said:

I think the reason it was not an option is because I had a good portion of the meniscus removed.  It was torn beyond any repair and It does not regenerate.  But I'll ask about it when I go back.  Thanks for all the info.

Oh I'm familiar.😢  My first knee surgery on my right knee was 20 years ago.  I've had 4 total on that knee and each time the meniscus, both lateral and medial were involved.  I'm 99% bone on bone as of a couple of a few years ago.  Really wish there were more options to us at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

I had medial and lateral meniscus my first time doing my left ACL 20 years ago. Just had my ACL done again in December. I’m bone on bone in one spot where it’s wore a hole completely through the cartilage. I need to look into that gel injection.

9 hours ago, 00Rocket28 said:

I had medial and lateral meniscus my first time doing my left ACL 20 years ago. Just had my ACL done again in December. I’m bone on bone in one spot where it’s wore a hole completely through the cartilage. I need to look into that gel injection.

Hope your insurance covers it.  Unfortunately mine will not.

9 hours ago, 00Rocket28 said:

Also, how's your walking ability?  I have a lot of pain and still use a cane.  Some days are good, some days are bad

3 hours ago, OlDog75 said:

Also, how's your walking ability?  I have a lot of pain and still use a cane.  Some days are good, some days are bad

I stay sore, running is hit or miss on pain. The 15-20 lbs post surgery probably isn’t helping either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 00Rocket28 said:

I stay sore, running is hit or miss on pain. The 15-20 lbs post surgery probably isn’t helping either.

The injections do help and they last for a good while.  The weight is definitely a big factor too though.  I quit training as frequently with work in summer of 2018 because I was about to have my shoulder scoped as well.  I jumped up about 20 lbs over the next year and really started to feel it in my knees.  Trying to drop that weight now, but man it's a lot easier gaining it than it is losing it.

• Like 1