Explosion in Beirut

nkypete

That explosion what something else, how horrible.

And I am going to go ahead and drop this in here in hopes we can leave this thread open:

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.

5 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Early reports on BBC said that fireworks are stored in that area. If you watch closely in the first video above, it looks like fireworks going off near the base of the smoke.

I'm not buying fireworks for a second. 

24 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I'm sure to those in the know, that the red color of the cloud after the explosion may give a tip to what was involved.

Google just taught me that orange-red clouds of smoke are associated with nitrogen dioxide gas....which occurs when nitrates (e.g. - ammonium nitrate) explode or burn.

• Like 2

Very clear that there were fireworks there, but the fireworks going off would simply be a product of the ignition inside. Whatever the giant explosion was from was certainly not fireworks. If there are any chemists on here I’m sure they could shed some light on what is was that made the smoke red after the explosion. That should give a ton of insight of what exactly went off, 

3 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Google just taught me that orange-red clouds of smoke are associated with nitrogen dioxide gas....which occurs when nitrates (e.g. - ammonium nitrate) explode or burn.

Good work CWB! Any idea what those nitrates are used to produce? I’m assuming not fireworks.