Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The New Dog

Featured Replies

My male lab never lifted his leg.

 

I had an English bulldog that never lifted his leg. My daughter has a beagle mix that has never lifted his leg. My current dog is a female pug/beagle mix that raises her leg half the time when she goes.

Just going by the back of the bag. He is 7 months and 50 lbs. He is supposed to have between 4 1/2 and 5 1/3 a day.

 

Your vet will tell you if he's on track weight wise. Sounds like he's healthy and happy. I wouldn't be worried.

I feed him 2 1/2 cups twice a day. Sometimes he eats the whole bowl in one sitting and sometimes he just snacks on it for a few hours.

 

Also, the people that gave him to me, lost his paperwork. They say he is due for one more shot. If I take him to PuppyWow or another vet will they be able to determine exactly what is needed?

 

Sounds like you’ve got a good dog!

I have a female shepherd who lifts her leg...in a dainty way of course. Enjoy your pup! They each have their own personalities just like people. Difference is, they love you no matter what, and they never judge!

  • Author

How bout 278 stinkin dollars for our first vet visit!!

How bout 278 stinkin dollars for our first vet visit!!

 

Mine was about $190, and we have our second vet visit on Sunday afternoon. Haha, I'll let you know how much it goes for.

 

I'm guessing they might have had to do some "Well, I have to give him all of these vaccinations in case he hasn't gotten them already" work since the person you bought him from had lost his vaccination records, maybe? I know the cost of the visits are primarily the medications and not the actual visit itself...

  • Author

Let’s not forget the ear swab to test for an infection. My kids’ tubes cost about 400 bucks out of pocket.

Let’s not forget the ear swab to test for an infection. My kids’ tubes cost about 400 bucks out of pocket.

 

Lol, it sounds like we have somewhat similar lab puppy experiences here. I think like $40 worth of my first vet appointment was for a 10-day course of ear medication I had to give my pup to treat her ear infection.

Is there something wrong with the dog? He sleeps around 13 hours a day but will wake up at the slightest noise. Also, when he pees outside he doesn't lift his leg, all four paws are on the ground and he leans forward. He is a boy.

 

Dogs sleep unless you have them engaged in some activity. That is normal. You'll probably have to demonstrate the whole leg lifting thing. Do it after dark or you'll get yourself in trouble with the neighbors and maybe the police. (I'm joking here). :bag: Young males don't lift their leg until they get older, as has been mentioned. Again, this is normal.

 

I feed him 2 1/2 cups twice a day. Sometimes he eats the whole bowl in one sitting and sometimes he just snacks on it for a few hours.

 

Also, the people that gave him to me, lost his paperwork. They say he is due for one more shot. If I take him to PuppyWow or another vet will they be able to determine exactly what is needed?

 

Just going by the back of the bag. He is 7 months and 50 lbs. He is supposed to have between 4 1/2 and 5 1/3 a day.

 

The dog food company is trying to sell you more dog food. Don't go by their recommendation. The vet can tell you what to try. It really depends on your dog's size, metabolism, and how much exercise he gets. The vet will look at the dog's body and judge whether you are feeding too much or not enough and then make a suggestion. My vet has a good chart showing the outline of a dog that is overweight, underweight, and just right. I would suggest you only let him eat for 10-20 minutes at a time. If he hasn't finished the food by then, take it away from him, he doesn't need it. This will also train him to eat when it is provided, and it won't allow him to overeat.

 

Btw, give your dog plenty of exercise, either running around a fenced in yard or walking twice a day on a leash for at least an hour total. If his exercise consists mainly of walking on a leash he needs other activity to raise his heart-rate. Human's walk too slow for leash walking to be ideal. Dogs are trotters. Chasing a ball or other object is good for them (cars not so much). Exercise will also cut down on the amount of mischief they cause indoors.

 

It may be good for you and your pup to get to obedience training. You will learn a lot and it will have a very positive impact on your relationship with your dog. There used to be a guy that would come to the Boone County Animal shelter and do the training. The cost for that was less than what you will probably pay at one of the pet stores or an independent trainer. He was quite good when I took my dog there.

 

Owning a dog requires more than a person usually knows when they first consider getting a pet. But as others have noted, having a canine companion is very rewarding, and the benefits for your son will more than outweigh any of the inconveniences.

 

Enjoy getting to know your dog, PP1.

  • Author

Stupid dog is shedding his hair all over the place. I’m finding dog hair in places Where the dog doesn’t even go.

 

And now I have to put ear drops in his ears. I thought when my boys got their ear tubes, I didn’t have to do eardrops anymore.

Stupid dog is shedding his hair all over the place. I’m finding dog hair in places Where the dog doesn’t even go.

 

And now I have to put ear drops in his ears. I thought when my boys got their ear tubes, I didn’t have to do eardrops anymore.

 

The hair thing is just part of it. The drops won't be forever buddy. Just breath, you got this. I'm sure your dog has unconditional love for you. That's what they do.

The leg hiking is a competitive thing when they get a bit older...it's often to leave their mark higher than the next guy.

 

Your dog sounds very normal. Two of my four are labs, and they are awesome dogs. The yellow I have sheds tons as most do, but my chocolate lab doesn't shed that much surprisingly. The yellow sheds enough for all four though. I feel your pain there.

I grew up with dogs all my life. My two childhood dogs each lived to a ripe old age getting only a rabies vaccine and eating dinner left overs.

 

Had a couple of vet bills well over $200 for a healthy dog. Got vaccines for diseases I never heard of. Finally put my foot down and said yes only to Rabies vaccine. Vet made me feel bad, but my last dog lived to be 14. Current dog is 7 and going strong.

 

It’s a business like any others, and they rely on owners guilt to pad their bills.

 

And the hair thing...get used to it! Very normal.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.