Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Gambling fundraisers?

Featured Replies

Bingo brings in LOTS to the CCH athletic boosters.

I know Boyle County's quarterback club used to raised alot of money on BINGO. I think they still do it.

I saw an article in the Lexington Herald a few weeks ago advertising a Casino Night for Lexington Catholic High School, including a full bar.

Just doesn't make sense to me. Bingo/Charitable Gaming, is a legal operation in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. The Commonwealth makes money off all the Charitable Gaming that takes place in Kentucky. Trust me, it is very, very well controlled, by the Commonwealth. Is the School Board going to turn down money from the Commonwealth, because it just might possibly be earned by gaming? As long as the kids aren't involed (and they can't legaly do so anyway) I really don't see the problem with it at all.

  • Author

From everything I have heard, the Jessamine super, and district AD are some of the most hipocritical people in the state, I bet they would turn down the states money from gambling if it went to their paychecks right? They have taken away a huge amount of funds for the basketball team and the football team can't go around and try to sell their discount cards because it is loitering, what a joke.

I think the State now allows one charitable poker tournament a year now too

I think the State now allows one charitable poker tournament a year now too

 

As long as you have a charitable gaming lisence, the state allows you to do 2 special gaming events (casino nights, poker, black jack etc.). If you run a big social event (ie festivals), you can also do special gaming along with these as long as the special gaming does not dominate the event for 2 more.

I saw an article in the Lexington Herald a few weeks ago advertising a Casino Night for Lexington Catholic High School, including a full bar.

 

I think this is one of the things many school districts are wanting to avoid. They don't want gambling and alcohol to be combined with a school fundraiser.

 

Yes, the lottery helps education (sort of), but I think some districts want to avoid to obvious connection so close to home.

I think this is one of the things many school districts are wanting to avoid. They don't want gambling and alcohol to be combined with a school fundraiser.

 

Yes, the lottery helps education (sort of), but I think some districts want to avoid to obvious connection so close to home.

So you're saying they want to sugar coat everything?

So you're saying they want to sugar coat everything?

 

Yes. I didn't say that I necessarily agreed or disagreed with that statement, but I would imagine there might be some parents that wouldn't want any part of it.

 

This is actually kind of surprising, coming from Jessamine County. That district is notoriously tight on money for athletics, usually forcing teams to raise nearly all money themselves. They are quickly beginning to place their sports programs behind the 8-ball.

Mercer allowed last year texas holdem tourney.

There is awhole set of rules that the state mandates that includes licenses that are paid for $25.00 by the boosters. There are many many more rules. The chariable gaming web site tells all the requirements.

I think this is one of the things many school districts are wanting to avoid. They don't want gambling and alcohol to be combined with a school fundraiser.

QUOTE]

 

 

Every festival that I have been to has gambling and alcohol. Just because pull tabs and raffle wheels are not considered casino type gambling, they IMO are still gambling.

 

If people are willing to spend money on the entertainment value of gambling and alcohol, why not provide the avenue to do so and collect the proceeds for your charitable organization?

Also Jessamine Co will not let the kids go door to door selling anything..per that same meeting. How the heck are these teams suppose to raise any money? For the most part the county is a farming community.

Every festival that I have been to has gambling and alcohol. Just because pull tabs and raffle wheels are not considered casino type gambling, they IMO are still gambling.

 

If people are willing to spend money on the entertainment value of gambling and alcohol, why not provide the avenue to do so and collect the proceeds for your charitable organization?

 

I think part of the reason that there is a dispute is based on geography. Most counties in northern Kentucky, "nkyfootball," are wet. Most counties south of Lexington do not allow alcohol to be sold, although Jessamine does. Having fundraisers with alcohol technically would be considered illegal in many counties and something some administrators want to avoid.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.