9TH Region Memory Lane

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sandy Johnson was a great player. I seem to remember her being slowed down by a knee injury. The image of a big knee brace always sliding down her leg while she played comes to mind.

For my money, I'd stick with Walz as #1. Would have loved to have seen Donna Murphy play. Since I didn't, she'd be my #2 pick.

It's tough to argue the number one....but I thought the thread was simply "9th region memory lane"....anyway, relative to stats only...she did have an extra season or two and a three point line.... :) and, ladies like the two I mentioned didn't even get to use the gym until the boys felt like giving it to them...these girls could play. It would be interesting to see their talent in the same circumstance as some of the younger great ones...just a happy memory...that's all!

:thumb: Have to agree with your assessment of Edgington and Murphy. I will also throw in Jackie Bearden, Sue Lyons, and Brenda Ryan from that era.

:thumb: Have to agree with your assessment of Edgington and Murphy. I will also throw in Jackie Bearden, Sue Lyons, and Brenda Ryan from that era.

Good calls! Also, the Dickman girls (Holy Cross) and the Bishop girls (Boone Co) come to mind...though I'm not sure they were at the same level as some mentioned thus far?..

It's tough to argue the number one....but I thought the thread was simply "9th region memory lane"....anyway, relative to stats only...she did have an extra season or two and a three point line.... :) and, ladies like the two I mentioned didn't even get to use the gym until the boys felt like giving it to them...these girls could play. It would be interesting to see their talent in the same circumstance as some of the younger great ones...just a happy memory...that's all!

Also don't forget that Walz was going against other players who had access

to the gym as well. The level of players she competed against I would say

were better than the ones Murphy and Edgington faced.

Who was the better 9th region female player Sandy Johnson or Jamie Walz

I don't think Johnson was the best on her team. Because I think Celeste

Hill was a member of that team. Granted one played outside and one mostly inside.. ...

but my memory might not be totally right.

There have been a lot of great players in the 9th, but c'mon! 4948 points and over 1000 rebounds and 1000 assists.:eek:

Not only the best ever in the 9th. The Cincinnati Enquirer ranked her #1 all-time in the tri-state area. I think some would say she is the best to ever play in the state of Ky.....period.

Wasnt Celeste a couple of years later maybe 89-92? not sure good point

I don't think Johnson was the best on her team. Because I think Celeste

Hill was a member of that team. Granted one played outside and one mostly inside.. ...

but my memory might not be totally right.

Walz was without a doubt the best 9th region player ever.

Of course as the Girls game becomes more advanced today's players are superior to those of "memory lane" and 20 years from now those players will be better than current ones.

The difference now is the year-round play in AAU programs, summer camps, etc. compared to years gone by.

For trivia buffs, Walz started as a 7th grader for Highlands Varsity and that was the first time she ever played a game against Girls.

If I'm starting a team, I take Hallman first.

Disclaimer: I did not see enough of Donna Murphy to make a judgment.

You would take Hallman over Jamie Walz? I can't even believe a thread that asked if a player was better than Jamie got this many posts. Jamie was unreal. I'm only 28 so I won't comment on people I haven't seen, but she was the Gatorade player of the year her Senior year and she almost scored 5,000 points. Hallman was good, but come on. That's like someone saying Austin Hill is better than D. Beal. It's just not correct.

Walz was a great High School player. Did she play Division 1 college and if so were they ranked nationally? http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/ubb/confused.gif

:confused:

Before Title IX players were not promoted as they are now. The coaching is better today (because now they are paid competively to the mens coaches and more qualified people compete for the job). There were not organized girls basketball leagues until they tried out for H.S. and playing on a boys team was unheard of. Around Title IX players practiced once a week after the 6th grade boys B team was finished.

The added three point line is a great equalizer as well as having the opportunity to play as a 7th grader.

Hummm. Can you compare apples to oranges? I think your overlooking some of the great players: Murphy, Lyons, Ryan, Edgington.