Reds 2007 closer -- Weathers signs

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061204/SPT04/312040023/1078/COL02

Reliever David Weathers and the Reds have agreed to a two-year, $5 million contract, pending a physical.

Weathers said the contract included some incentives if he's used a closer.

"Right now, they're talking about the old committee thing," Weathers said. "I think by the end of year they'll want to have one guy. But it may work out."

"The last two years of my career I want to be someplace with a chance to (be a closer)," he said. "That the convenience of being close to home outweighed the money. I left some money on the table."

From CBSSportsline rumors: GM Wayne Krivsky won’t confirm it but the Dayton Daily News says that reliever David Weathers will be returning to the Reds for two years. It was originally believed that the club wasn’t willing to dig up the cash to keep him. Talk has heated up at the winter meetings about bringing back Aaron Boone to fill the need for a right-handed power hitter.

When did Boone become a power hitter?:D

Weathers is a middle reliever and too inconsistent, as set-up man and certainly, not a consistent MLB closer in my opinion.

Will someone tell Krivskey, the Reds need "starting pitching" and package deal, some of these stockpiled relievers or position players.

Talk has heated up at the winter meetings about bringing back Aaron Boone to fill the need for a right-handed power hitter.

When did Boone become a power hitter?:D

No idea, that is the first time I've ever seen the word Aaron Boone and power-hitter, used in the same sentence.

Weathers is a middle reliever and too inconsistent, as set-up man and certainly, not a consistent MLB closer in my opinion.

Will someone tell Krivskey, the Reds need "starting pitching" and package deal, some of these stockpiled relievers or position players.

No idea, that is the first time I've ever seen the word Aaron Boone and power-hitter, used in the same sentence.

Not sure which is the bigger need, starting pitching or closer at the end of the games.

You can track the Reds not making the playoffs to as many blown games from the bullpen as it did from the starters.

One closer would be able to effect games 4 out of 5 games where you would need 4 starters to do as much. It seems that a closer might be easier to obtain.

Not sure which is the bigger need, starting pitching or closer at the end of the games.

You can track the Reds not making the playoffs to as many blown games from the bullpen as it did from the starters.

One closer would be able to effect games 4 out of 5 games where you would need 4 starters to do as much. It seems that a closer might be easier to obtain.

My philosophy is simple....Middle relief and closers, are essential but far too often, the Reds were behind too early in games, as a result of inconsistent starting pitching.

Solid MLB starters, combined with an middle relievers will help provide a chance to use a closer. There won't be many years, when winning 80 games will get you in the playoffs and if the starters don't change, the Reds will be out early in '07.

On Boone, I think the key is power hitter off the bench. He is not a power hitter to be in the lineup everyday but has Marty might say, he could provide some pop coming off the bench.
I don't see Boone, as providing any power off the bench....His brother could but not him.

My philosophy is simple....Middle relief and closers, are essential but far too often, the Reds were behind too early in games, as a result of inconsistent starting pitching.

Solid MLB starters, combined with an middle relievers will help provide a chance to use a closer. There won't be many years, when winning 80 games will get you in the playoffs and if the starters don't change, the Reds will be out early in '07.

I don't see Boone, as providing any power off the bench....His brother could but not him.

Two years ago, I would agree with you in a heart beat. Last year, for the most part, they got decent starting pitching. Pitching that kept them in the game until the final 2-3 innings.

I remember Arroyo losing 2-3 wins because of the bullpen and my memory seems to think he wasn't the only pitcher to have that happen to him. Also, it seems we hear over and over the stat come postseason that a team is 60-1 after leading in the 8th inning or something like that.

I would love to see them add 2-3 starters but not sure that is a reasonable request without decimating the starting lineup or giving up one of the key minor leaguers. I think it might be more reasonable for them to add a closer than 2-3 starters.

I would be estatic if they added 2-3 starters but coming to a realization that I might need to be satisfied as a fan that they add 1 starter and 1 closer.

Two years ago, I would agree with you in a heart beat. Last year, for the most part, they got decent starting pitching. Pitching that kept them in the game until the final 2-3 innings.

I remember Arroyo losing 2-3 wins because of the bullpen and my memory seems to think he wasn't the only pitcher to have that happen to him. Also, it seems we hear over and over the stat come postseason that a team is 60-1 after leading in the 8th inning or something like that.

I would love to see them add 2-3 starters but not sure that is a reasonable request without decimating the starting lineup or giving up one of the key minor leaguers. I think it might be more reasonable for them to add a closer than 2-3 starters.

I would be ecstatic if they added 2-3 starters but coming to a realization that I might need to be satisfied as a fan that they add 1 starter and 1 closer.

Relievers will lose games, part of the trade but when the Reds starters, for the most part are consistently allowing 5± runs per game, hard for the relievers to get that blame. Often times, changes are made with RISP and the Reds did a poor job, in that sense.

If they want to contend, must get a quality starter....If they want to pretend, that status quo.