Quality Competition??

BGGreen

It would appear that at least three of the state champions, and several other very successful teams this year had one thing in common--Quality Competition!! Despite sacrificing their season records, these teams played competition from out-of-state, upper classes, etc. to better prepare themselves for the post season and it seemed to work!! Did the teams with gaudy records, but questionable competition; ultimately lose because they didn't follow this formula??

Maybe coincidence, but while the finals' losers were a combined 51-5, two of the winners were 9-5 and 11-3?? Does competition equal post season success, or does playing a light schedule and staying fresh for the playoffs work better. I'd argue the former, as the other two winners with gaudy records (Trintiy and Mercer) appeared to have little competition in their respective classes; while NCC and CCH played challenging schedules, which seemed to prepare them for the postseason?? Thoughts??

Maybe coincidence, but while the finals' losers were a combined 51-5, two of the winners were 9-5 and 11-3?? Does competition equal post season success, or does playing a light schedule and staying fresh for the playoffs work better. I'd argue the former, as the other two winners with gaudy records (Trintiy and Mercer) appeared to have little competition in their respective classes; while NCC and CCH played challenging schedules, which seemed to prepare them for the postseason?? Thoughts??

Male, Henry Clay, Manual and St.X were not competition? Ballard could be thrown in the mix there as well as a pretty good squad. Trinity's schedule was MUCH tougher than Ryle's as was Trinity's road to the finals.

Male, Henry Clay, Manual and St.X were not competition? Ballard could be thrown in the mix there as well as a pretty good squad. Trinity's schedule was MUCH tougher than Ryle's as was Trinity's road to the finals.

Trinity was clearly the best team in 4-A this year, but I'm not arguing that they played a good schedule; they just happened to win most of theirs. I'd say Mercer was the only winner who wasn't very challenged throughout the season??

Trinity was clearly the best team in 4-A this year, but I'm not arguing that they played a good schedule; they just happened to win most of theirs. I'd say Mercer was the only winner who wasn't very challenged throughout the season??

Don't know enough about Mercer's schedule to comment.

Competition is directly related to performance in the big games .... It developes your real identity when the chips are down. It almost cost Mercer because they thought somehow , even though we beat them easy last year , we were going to be another 2a cupcake ....

But by the same token a soft schedule hurt us also this year .... several games weren't even good scrimmages ...

Looking forward to 3a and getting to play outside our district to improve our schedule and therefore our real identity as we get in close playoff games.

Bowling Green has tried to upgrade...this year they played St. X, Christian County, Warren Central. They also had Greenwood and six district games.

The district--Franklin-Simpson, Warren East, Logan County, Allen County, Adair County, and Breckenridge County has not offered much resistance.

Franklin-Simpson normally competes pretty well with BG but the last couple of years the talent pool has been at low tide. That is changing.

BG honestly has a tough time getting teams to schedule them. They have played in the bowl game at FS the last several years and getting an opponent to come play them has been difficult.

One reason I like the new alignment is smaller districts and more scheduling freedom. There should be some great non-district interclass play in the future.

I think it's interesting to look at the KHSAA web page that lists teams with openings next year. Hopkinsville, Highlands, Trigg County, Mercer County, Henry Clay, and Lexington Catholic are all having trouble filling their schedule next year. They were able to fill their past schedules because of larger districts. For some reason, they are now having a hard time filling the schedule.

I think it's interesting to look at the KHSAA web page that lists teams with openings next year. Hopkinsville, Highlands, Trigg County, Mercer County, Henry Clay, and Lexington Catholic are all having trouble filling their schedule next year. They were able to fill their past schedules because of larger districts. For some reason, they are now having a hard time filling the schedule.

If BG is trying to upgrade their schedule, you just listed several good possiblities!!

Some of it for Highlands has to do with the Ohio teams not being able to play the KY teams ....Has something to do with the Harbin Point System that they use in Ohio...

To be the best, you have to play the best. A team might as well prepare themselves (win or lose) to play the best teams by play the best competition possible. Too many schools are too worried about winning games that they only schedule teams they can beat. That is why a team with a lot of wins gets beat come playoff time.

It is my understanding that Russell tried to schedule Highlands. There was a scheduling conflict. I believe Russell needed a late season home game and from what I understand had trouble getting one. They finally scheduled Simon Kenton to fill the void. Would have loved to see the Highlands game on the schedule.