NCAA denies James Hudson’s plea for immediately eligibility.

John Anthony

There are some ruled eligible for reasons a lot less than this.

Thats not the point. I believe people should be able to play wherever they want year to year, but that isn’t the case. If the kid had an ACL, they wouldn’t let him transfer and play immediately either.

Tate Martell told the NCAA he was gonna be the starter under Urban, which was far from the truth and they let him go to Miami right away.

Did he have to burn a redshirt year to eligible this year? Otherwise there is no way he should be able to play under the current rules.

Did he have to burn a redshirt year to eligible this year? Otherwise there is no way he should be able to play under the current rules.

No, he was immediately eligible because OSU helped push for it on top of Miami pushing. For whatever reason, NCAA approved it.

As we compare the various players and their situations above, the thought that comes to mind for me is there should either be no exceptions or no restrictions. When you start granting exceptions, then you get the controversy we have now.

Agreed.

As we compare the various players and their situations above, the thought that comes to mind for me is there should either be no exceptions or no restrictions. When you start granting exceptions, then you get the controversy we have now.

Agreed, after Fields and Martell they stopped instantly granting everyone for whatever reason as well.

Agreed, after Fields and Martell they stopped instantly granting everyone for whatever reason as well.

They probably realized how out of hand it was getting and decided to rein it back in.

Nearly all players transfer due to playing time, even the ones with legit family reasons to transfer are rarely ever actually starters or stars. If a player was the starter and getting what he thought was enough playing time, then all of the reasons they use to transfer are suddenly not an issue. They learn to deal with it because they are happy about their playing situation.

Either let them all transfer and play immediately (horrible idea from a competitive status, the rich would just get richer) or rein it in and allow it under a very narrow set of guidelines (Coach leaves, family issues, abuse issues). Everyone else has to sit out a year.

Fields and Martel were the last two clients for waiver expert lawyer Tom Mars. Guess who Mars works for now?

When a player transfers from one D1 school to another, we expect them to sit out a year, no? I’m not sure why a player who declared they are battling depression would be ruled eligible simply for that reason? I could see maybe asking for a medical redshirt, but just to play immediately? I don’t see why that would happen.

In general, I'd agree. The issue is we are having guys transfer for playing time and getting waivers while a kid dealing with very real mental health issues is denied because the school he left decided to get in their feelings over him leaving. In this very specific case, the message sent to players dealing with things like depression and anxiety is cloudy at best.

At the end of the day, Hudson didn't want to leave Michigan. He and his mother had a meeting with the coach where they expressed his struggle and were pushed to explore a transfer. If the waiver isn't designed for that, why does it exist at all?