Crawford:Biggest Gunner in UK History

Cubster

I think he doesn't have the quickness required in footspeed to play great defense. His problem on offense isn't his percentages - its the fact that he tries too hard to take the game over and forces the issue all the time. If he settled down and took good fundamentally sound shots, his offensive numbers would be great. I can see that look when he gets the ball in certain situations - the look that says "I will get this shot off if its the last thing I do!" Then he drops that head and pulls out his And1 moves and usually fires up some idiotic shot at a crucial time in the game. If he would just settle down, he could be great.

I dont buy the foot speed argument too much. I know he isnt the fastest guy, but he isnt that slow and hes strong. I believe he just needs to really dedicate himself on the defensive end more. Defensively, the other day we had Sheray on Douglas-Roberts for a play. Now there just really isnt much Sheray can do. But Crawford is more athletic, he just has to stay in front of his man plain and simple.

Offensively, a couple bad shots he took against Memphis was late in the game, and down and you cant blame him for forcing up a couple 3s to try to get us back in the game quickly.

Shot selection needs to improve, but all and all hes not all that bad.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont buy the foot speed argument too much. I know he isnt the fastest guy, but he isnt that slow and hes strong. I believe he just needs to really dedicate himself on the defensive end more. Defensively, the other day we had Sheray on Douglas-Roberts for a play. Now there just really isnt much Sheray can do. But Crawford is more athletic, he just has to stay in front of his man plain and simple.

Offensively, a couple bad shots he took against Memphis was late in the game, and down and you cant blame him for forcing up a couple 3s to try to get us back in the game quickly.

Shot selection needs to improve, but all and all hes not all that bad.

Crawford is one of the slowest two guards I've seen in a long time. Now, don't get me wrong, I still think he is imperative to UK's success this year and I definately think he has the talent to be a star. He just needs to be smarter with the ball and dribble with his head up.

Crawford is one of the slowest two guards I've seen in a long time. Now, don't get me wrong, I still think he is imperative to UK's success this year and I definately think he has the talent to be a star. He just needs to be smarter with the ball and dribble with his head up.

He is athletic enough to still be a good defensive player though. And thats what I think he has to improve on. Tubby's teams never really have pretty offenses, but his good teams can flat out guard you and thats where Crawford has to improve the most.

I saw a Confrence breakdown on ESPN that was saying that the SEC was built for Atlanta and the Final 4, and they said Florida and LSU were ready to move in again, and maybe, even Kentucky. NOW we're maybe even Kentucky. Used to be we were the first ones mentioned in SEC Basketball.

Heres the thing I continuously reiterate. If we will do a better job containing people off the dribble and improve our transition defense I believe we can be a very good team. Im not going to be satisfied with a 10 loss season again. The thing is everyone is being all gloomy, but during that tournament we were down 2 points to the #1 team in the nation with the ball with 30 seconds left. We didnt execute down the stretch, but I think this team shows some promise. I think the fan base needs to give this year's team a little time.

Have all of you forgot about the "blond bomber" Jay Shidler? That IMO would be the biggest gunner in the history of UK!! Does anyone know what his FG% was during his "illustrious" career?

I believe Crawford is fine, but he does play better when he lets the flow of the game come to him.

Crawford does NOT work hard without the ball nor does he work hard to free his teamates up in the half court.

He comes off screens like he has NO faith the play will work, and the defense takes advantage. The result is a winding play clock and Joe or Ramel going one on one.

Its not just Joe (but he is the worst IMO) who simply goes through the motions in the half court sets.

Crawford does NOT work hard without the ball nor does he work hard to free his teamates up in the half court.

He comes off screens like he has NO faith the play will work, and the defense takes advantage. The result is a winding play clock and Joe or Ramel going one on one.

Its not just Joe (but he is the worst IMO) who simply goes through the motions in the half court sets.

Do you watch the games? Crawford comes off screens and gets himself ready to shoot better than maybe anyone on the team. How many jumpers does he take coming off a screen? Plenty is the answer since you apparently arent watching that closely.

Let's try not to plan a wedding while we are watching a UK game. :laugh:

Have all of you forgot about the "blond bomber" Jay Shidler? That IMO would be the biggest gunner in the history of UK!! Does anyone know what his FG% was during his "illustrious" career?

I believe Crawford is fine, but he does play better when he lets the flow of the game come to him.

How about Rodrick Rhodes?