SEC: Overrated

Jim Schue

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks good from a Big East view... :p

No argument here that the Big East was very impressive this year. And very fun to watch every week all year. They are only going to get better too. My second-favorite conference behind the conference I have followed my whole life...

I think Florida and LSU were as good as anyone by the end of the season. I also think the Bowl scores demonstrate that the SEC is not that far ahead of the rest. You have two loses to Big 11 teams, Alabama falling to a Big 12 team. And the four other bowl wins were highly contested games. All were decided by 8 points or less. So if it makes you guys feel better, the SEC was the best this year. Congrats Gators on a title they earned...

:thumb:

I think you are pretty accurate with that statement.

I'm not buying that Tennessee was one play from beating Penn State. There is no guarantee that UT would have won that game even if they hadn't fumbled and given up a TD. There was still plenty of time left when that happened. I was never sold on Arkansas or Wisconsin, so that game wouldn't have surprised me either way. I'm just not buying the "matchup" argument...

Bowl games are unpredictable, and often too much emphasis is put on them when determining which conference is better. I know it's the only real chance we get to see the teams play each other on a wide scale, but again, it's after a long layoff, so you get erratic performances. I think the SEC was the best conference (as usual). It turned out to be better than I thought, but I agree that it wasn't head and shoulders above. Just better, that's all. If it was as dominant as some say, then every SEC game would have been like the LSU and Florida BCS performances.

I'm not buying that Tennessee was one play from beating Penn State.

Are you serious? Did you watch the game? The score was 10-10 with 10:14 left in the game. UT had it 1st and 10 on the Penn State 14. Foster fumbled on the 13 and it was run back.

If he doesn't fumble, they at LEAST get a field goal, making it 13-10 UT.

The next drive, PSU ran the ball 9 straight times and got stopped on 3rd and goal from the 1.

Even if that drive occurs the same with Penn State trailing (I doubt you see 9 consecutive runs), you end up 13-13 and it OT.

Foster also fumbled at UT's 33, which set up a PSU field goal. It was definately a case of Tennessee playing poorly.

Also keep in mind that PSU was the Big11's #4 team and UT was #5 in the SEC.

Are you serious? Did you watch the game? The score was 10-10 with 10:14 left in the game. UT had it 1st and 10 on the Penn State 14. Foster fumbled on the 13 and it was run back.

If he doesn't fumble, they at LEAST get a field goal, making it 13-10 UT.

The next drive, PSU ran the ball 9 straight times and got stopped on 3rd and goal from the 1.

Even if that drive occurs the same with Penn State trailing (I doubt you see 9 consecutive runs), you end up 13-13 and it OT.

Foster also fumbled at UT's 33, which set up a PSU field goal. It was definately a case of Tennessee playing poorly.

Also keep in mind that PSU was the Big11's #4 team and UT was #5 in the SEC.

Which means the outcome is still in question...unless I'm missing something. It's not accurate to say that UT was one play from winning a game that they lost by 10.

The play in question occurred with 10 minutes to go, as you said...if UT was that good, that should have been plenty enough time to tie the game.

But, supposing they hadn't fumbled and went on to score a TD or FG...there was still 10 minutes left...who knows what Penn State would have done?

So, yes, I am serious. It's pretty obvious that the two teams were evenly matched and Penn State made the plays to win the game. There is no way to definitively say that UT would have won that game even without the Foster fumble.

There is no way to definitively say that UT would have won that game even without the Foster fumble.

I'll agree with that. Thats what the whole "if" game is about.

I will say however, that if you take away BOTH fumbles, UT wins no question.

I'll agree with that. Thats what the whole "if" game is about.

I will say however, that if you take away BOTH fumbles, UT wins no question.

But again, you have to give credit to Penn State for making those plays, instead of just saying UT gave it away.

But again, you have to give credit to Penn State for making those plays, instead of just saying UT gave it away.

No.. PSU didn't do anything special to cause those fumbles. It was really just poor play by Foster.

I do credit PSU for the win. A win is a win no matter what.

No.. PSU didn't do anything special to cause those fumbles. It was really just poor play by Foster.

I do credit PSU for the win. A win is a win no matter what.

Fumbles happen for various reasons...poor ballcarrying, nice hits, etc...what doesn't always happen is scooping it up and returning it 80 yards for a TD. In a game between two evenly matched teams, PSU made the plays to win the game. That's all I'm saying. From what I saw, if those two teams played 10 times, it could very well be a 5/5 split.