SEC: Overrated

Jim Schue

The SEC is the best conference most years, but not this year.

Here's why:

The best teams struggle to win at home against the worst teams in the conference.

Florida needed a FG block at home to escape SC

LSU needed OT to beat Ole Miss

UGA crushed Auburn

Just to name a few

Arkansas comes out of nowhere to establish itself as the best team in the conference. On the strength of basically one player.

Kentucky is having a great year in the conference, yet struggles at home against an absolutely awful team.

Bottom line: The SEC lives off that "top to bottom" hogwash, yet refuses to schedule tough non-conference games. What are they afraid of? That the unfortunate ugly truth will be exposed?

At best, the SEC is equal to the other major conferences.

And don't use the whole "the SEC has five ranked teams" garbage. So does the ACC, and they're in a very down year.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a die hard UK fan and Ill have to agree with you. I think alot of what happened is the bottoms have improved a little bit and the top are in a down year. I mean honestly Florida is good but over rated IMO. Georgia lost to UK and Vandy. UT is down and was down last year. LSU has some talent but hasnt got it all together. Alabama they lost to Mississippi St. Auburn has just fallen apart. Arkansas has rised to the top of SEC and they are good but in a normal year they would never be at the top. I believe Florida will beat them in the SEC Championship though

Also totaly agree the SEC needs to play some people. Florida usualy ahs a tuff game but FSU is in the dumps. Georgia plays GT which is a decent game. The Vols game was against Cal. UK probably had the best non confrence game with Louisville. Then Mississippi State played WVU.

I love how you point out one game for most teams... you act like other top teams don't have "off" weeks and struggle.

OSU... 17-10 over Illinois(2-10)

Michigan... 34-26 over Ball St.(4-7)

USC... close calls all over the board.

Notre Dame... Ditto

I don't care how good you are, you won't play your best every game. The "They barely beat this team argument" is garbo. You think that OSU Championship team a couple years back cares that they won a lot of close games?

Bottom line: The SEC lives off that "top to bottom" hogwash, yet refuses to schedule tough non-conference games. What are they afraid of? That the unfortunate ugly truth will be exposed?

This is funny because you act like all the others go out of their way to do so while the SEC hides in a corner. Why don't you look up OOC schedules for top teams across the board Jim. I'm sure you'll find the SEC isn't different than any other conference.

Ill say this though in defense to SEC most confrences are down from top to bottom this year. Big Ten is best at top but besides for the major 2 they are really down from the norm this year. Pac 10 isnt bad at all though. ACC is really overrated IMO. A confrence that deserves some respect is Big East. I feel WVU, Louisvile, and Rutgers is as good as or better than any team in the SEC.

Ill agree with you also OR. But I would like to see a Florida tangle with a Louisville or WVU that would be a fun game.

I also dont know if I would use overrated but defintley down. But the middle and bottom teams is defintley improving.

Also Florida is overrated some but they are a dangerous team. They are a team I would defintley watch out for.

Also I said UK played tuffest OOC game but I forgot Arkansas did play USC.

WVU and UL are legit... never was a believer in Rutgers.

WVU will put it on them in Morgantown.

I agree with you there Rutgers is a beast at home though. I believe in the East of the SEC theyd finish behind Florida and maybe the Vols.

In the West they would finish behind Arkansas. And I believe alot of were they played at would determain them against Auburn and LSU. I believe LSU has the talent of any team out there but they just cant get it together.

The SEC is the best conference most years, but not this year.

Here's why:

The best teams struggle to win at home against the worst teams in the conference.

Florida needed a FG block at home to escape SC

LSU needed OT to beat Ole Miss

UGA crushed Auburn

Just to name a few

Arkansas comes out of nowhere to establish itself as the best team in the conference. On the strength of basically one player.

Kentucky is having a great year in the conference, yet struggles at home against an absolutely awful team.

At best, the SEC is equal to the other major conferences.

And don't use the whole "the SEC has five ranked teams" garbage. So does the ACC, and they're in a very down year.

^^ I agree, who would u say is the best conference?

I agree with you there Rutgers is a beast at home though. I believe in the East of the SEC theyd finish behind Florida and maybe the Vols.

In the West they would finish behind Arkansas. And I believe alot of were they played at would determain them against Auburn and LSU. I believe LSU has the talent of any team out there but they just cant get it together.

Rutgers is very effective at home, but UC shut them down tonight @ UC.

WVU will dominate them.

This is funny because you act like all the others go out of their way to do so while the SEC hides in a corner. Why don't you look up OOC schedules for top teams across the board Jim. I'm sure you'll find the SEC isn't different than any other conference.

I can't do it from this computer at home, but I will when I get back to work. But I bet you won't like what I find …

I can't do it from this computer at home, but I will when I get back to work. But I bet you won't like what I find …

Someone brought up the same argument last year and I did the research. I'm sure it's similar this year. Two of the HUGE OOC/not your typical games this year were USC at Arkansas (a game that I would love to see played over) and Cal at Tennessee.