Spectrum Cable internet vs ATT fiber optic internet

nWo

Which is faster?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which is faster?

• ATT Fiber optic internet
    • Spectrum cable internet

Which one in everyone's opinion is faster or better. A gentleman was marking my yard for underground line and I went out and asked him what construction is going to happen. He said ATT will be running fiber optic cables through my subdivision sometime in the very near future. I was just wondering which would be better. I think the cost of the fiber optic will be a little higher but I don't mind that if it is better and faster than Spectrum internet.

Thanks for everyone's opinion.

Here is this.

Compare Time Warner Spectrum vs. AT&T | HighSpeedInternet.com

The fiber has lots of upside speed-wise - if you have a use for it.

I am stuck on bonded copper DSL from windstream for now with a whopping 12 Mbps download maximum. So all these speeds look great to me.

I see your 12Mbps and raise you (uh...lower you) a 2Mbps speed from Cincinnati Bell. Not only do I have an old phone line...but, apparently there was a guy up my street 20+ years ago who liked to shoot at the pigeons who'd sit on the line. There's been many times when it rains that I've run a speed test and gotten less than .25Mbps. And yes, the decimal point is in the right location.

I see your 12Mbps and raise you (uh...lower you) a 2Mbps speed from Cincinnati Bell. Not only do I have an old phone line...but, apparently there was a guy up my street 20+ years ago who liked to shoot at the pigeons who'd sit on the line. There's been many times when it rains that I've run a speed test and gotten less than .25Mbps. And yes, the decimal point is in the right location.

We have the same issue with the rain. Definitely cuts the capacity for these DSL copper-based systems.

Not that I have heard of moisture issues with cable but that is another plus to fiber. Lightwaves in plastic do not care if they are wet or damp.

2 or less Mbps - now that is rough.

I don’t personally know anything about ATT fiber, as I have yet to encounter it with a client. My general rule of thumb is that in terms of speed, cable is likely to feature higher speeds - at least downloading. Fiber offerings tend to be synchronous, with same speed up and down. So you may get higher upload speeds.

One area fiber typically dominates is reliability. Maybe you don’t lose internet often, but chances are with cable, you have lost it at some point(s) in the last year. Fiber in general is like a tank. It doesn’t go down unless someone physically cuts an underground fiber. Thats not often.

I don’t personally know anything about ATT fiber, as I have yet to encounter it with a client. My general rule of thumb is that in terms of speed, cable is likely to feature higher speeds - at least downloading. Fiber offerings tend to be synchronous, with same speed up and down. So you may get higher upload speeds.

One area fiber typically dominates is reliability. Maybe you don’t lose internet often, but chances are with cable, you have lost it at some point(s) in the last year. Fiber in general is like a tank. It doesn’t go down unless someone physically cuts an underground fiber. Thats not often.

Fiber's kryptonite? Ants.

I have fiber and cable coming into work. The cable is Spectrum, 25mb up and down. The fiber is WOW (formerly Knowlogy), 25mb up, 300mb down. I have fiber at home, 150mb/150mb.

In my experience, fiber is much faster and more reliable than copper. Frontier FIOS, down here, offers 1Gb/1Gb service. The fastest I've seen Spectrum is 300mb/300mb.

I have fiber and cable coming into work. The cable is Spectrum, 25mb up and down. The fiber is WOW (formerly Knowlogy), 25mb up, 300mb down. I have fiber at home, 150mb/150mb.

In my experience, fiber is much faster and more reliable than copper. Frontier FIOS, down here, offers 1Gb/1Gb service. The fastest I've seen Spectrum is 300mb/300mb.

Whoa, I'd kill for those speeds. So maybe I should say that's the way it is around here, the synchronous.

I had Spectrum internet for the past few years. For the most part is was pretty good but there were some times were their were outages. These seemed to be occurring more frequently. When it worked I had no issues with the speeds of Spectrum cable internet. We have four phones, Amazon firestick, Sonos system, etc. and were able to stream multiple programs with no real issues.

I switched to AT&T fiber about six weeks ago, due to the fact that they were expanding into my neighborhood and I was able to get their service for $50.00 / month (at least for the first year) which was about $25.00 less than I had been paying Spectrum.

I'm not real tech savvy so I can't tell you what type of speeds I'm getting other than to say I've not had any complaints / don't feel like I'm waiting on my internet to respond.

So far I can't really say that I've noticed any real difference between the two services other than the price. Haven't noticed any outages yet with AT&T.