Ryan Day poaches Michigan coach

John Anthony

We obviously disagree.

A company's job is to hire the best people that fit within the organization's mission statement. If I'm the person in charge of doing the hiring, anyone that there is even a remote possibility was involved in something counter to that, I'm avoiding at all costs. it isn't worth it, and there's plenty of qualified candidates that don't have that potential baggage.

Just because someone was formerly employed by a company where OTHER people were doing something shady doesn't mean that individual can't or doesn't meet your company's mission statement. Seems like you wouldn't even fairly interview the candidate if you saw Enron (example) on their resume.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like you wouldn't even fairly interview the candidate if you saw Enron (example) on their resume.

That's probably a fair assumption. Some employers discard candidates based off where their degree is from, some do so based off not certain experience (in accounting Big 4 public firms). My automatic disqualifier would be companies involved in massive scandals.

That's probably a fair assumption. Some employers discard candidates based off where their degree is from, some do so based off not certain experience (in accounting Big 4 public firms). My automatic disqualifier would be companies involved in massive scandals.

Tough crowd.

Tough crowd.

I guess the good news is there's plenty of folks (such as yourself and Grant) that would be more than willing to consider them.

That's the beauty of it, as long as you aren't discriminating against a protected class, people can make hiring and firing decisions based off whatever criteria they think is best.

I guess the good news is there's plenty of folks (such as yourself and Grant) that would be more than willing to consider them.

That's the beauty of it, as long as you aren't discriminating against a protected class, people can make hiring and firing decisions based off whatever criteria they think is best.

I'm pretty open minded in general, I suppose. I'd like to think I don't hold people accountable for things that are out of their control, but I'm sure I've done it at some point.

I'm pretty open minded in general, I suppose. I'd like to think I don't hold people accountable for things that are out of their control, but I'm sure I've done it at some point.

That's a great quality to have man.

I don't view it as me holding them accountable, more so as I tend to approach most decisions from a cost/benefit perspective (it's the accountant in me I suppose). Is the risk worth the reward? If there's even a slight chance that it isn't, IMO, I'm avoiding it.

That's a great quality to have man.

I don't view it as me holding them accountable, more so as I tend to approach most decisions from a cost/benefit perspective (it's the accountant in me I suppose). Is the risk worth the reward? If there's even a slight chance that it isn't, IMO, I'm avoiding it.

I get the risk/reward mentality, I have that too. I think it's super important that everyone uses that in their everyday lives. Even in decisions we don't feel are that important. I'm not saying I wouldn't be more cautious about someone with something suspicious in their background, of course I would. I just wouldn't let it automatically deter me from them.

I get the risk/reward mentality, I have that too. I think it's super important that everyone uses that in their everyday lives. Even in decisions we don't feel are that important. I'm not saying I wouldn't be more cautious about someone with something suspicious in their background, of course I would. I just wouldn't let it automatically deter me from them.

This. Times a thousand.

I disagree. I'm an accountant. If I were working at Enron during the whole fiasco there, even if I were just a staff level accountant, is it unfair if future employers are wary of hiring me because of my time there?

100% it would be unfair. Unless you did something wrong there is no reason for any employer not to hire you. Just because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time doesn’t mean it hinders your ability to do your job in a ethical and morally responsible fashion.

Hoping for one more coaching change but I don't think it's going to happen. I think it's time for Studrawa to be replaced. The OL has been avg. at best and the development is leaving a lot to be desired. The OL will determine how good or how bad OSU will be next year. It will not be the QB position like many think, it will be the OL in my opinion. The defense returns 10 starters so they should be pretty solid with the new coaches on that side of the ball.

Hoping for one more coaching change but I don't think it's going to happen. I think it's time for Studrawa to be replaced. The OL has been avg. at best and the development is leaving a lot to be desired. The OL will determine how good or how bad OSU will be next year. It will not be the QB position like many think, it will be the OL in my opinion. The defense returns 10 starters so they should be pretty solid with the new coaches on that side of the ball.

He’s been linked to Maryland.