2019 Louisville Invitational Tournament

The field for the 72nd Louisville Invitational Tournament, to be played at Valley High School the week of January 14, was announced today. The field and the first-round match-ups, with each team's seed, are:

Butler (1) v. Bullitt East (16)

DeSales (8) v. Seneca (9)

St. Xavier (5) v. Pleasure Ridge Park (12)

Ballard (4) v. Doss (13)

Trinity (2) v. Bullitt Central (15)

Male (7) v. Fern Creek (10)

Central (6) v. Jeffersontown (11)

Waggener (3) v. Valley (14)

First round games will be played on Monday and Tuesday (1/14 and 1/15), with the quarterfinals on Wednesday (1/16), semi-finals on Friday (1/18), and finals on Saturday night (1/19).

It's great to see this tournament continue. I wish NKY still had the Fried Chicken Classic. Everyone has their own tournaments now but it would be nice to have one big one at NKU with the top 8 NKY teams and maybe going to 16 with 8 other teams from Cincinnati or the rest of KY. Everyone having their own tournaments kind of dilutes the fields of each.

For most of its history, the field included some teams from other parts of the state, which I always enjoyed because the teams that were invited usually were some of the top teams in the state that I otherwise would not get to see play. However, I think I like the current format, with 16 schools from Louisville (and Bullitt County), better, as it truly produces a champion of the City of Louisville. That otherwise would not happen, since Louisville schools are split between the 6th and 7th Regions.

For most of its history, the field included some teams from other parts of the state, which I always enjoyed because the teams that were invited usually were some of the top teams in the state that I otherwise would not get to see play. However, I think I like the current format, with 16 schools from Louisville (and Bullitt County), better, as it truly produces a champion of the City of Louisville. That otherwise would not happen, since Louisville schools are split between the 6th and 7th Regions.

I agree. I love the "city championship" format. Thought it was a really good change.

I don't mean to be a contrarian but I liked it better when the good teams from out in the state participated. To me it showed (when everything fell into place) how the best of Louisville stacked up against the best of the rest of the state.

I don't mean to be a contrarian but I liked it better when the good teams from out in the state participated. To me it showed (when everything fell into place) how the best of Louisville stacked up against the best of the rest of the state.

I agree, you already know who the best teams are in the 6/7th. I'm guessing with all the other holiday tourneys it makes it hard to get a balanced field.

We already have the King of the Bluegrass for that. I want the best of the 6th vs the best of the 7th.

I agree. I love the "city championship" format. Thought it was a really good change.

I mean no disrespect when I say this, and I understand completely why it happens, but even though they're in the 6th Region I wish the Bullitt County teams didn't participate in the LIT. I wish it truly was only for Louisville/Jefferson County teams.