Newport 66 Highlands 64

That was a great high school game last night. Newport's poise, decision-making, and shot selection impressed. The Wildcats are a well-coached squad, provided Snapp doesn't stroke out on the sidelines. He provides some entertainment for sure.

For HHS, Big Ben Sisson continues to provide the toughness and competitive spark to propel them through the year. Playing him off Tahj Harding to keep him out of foul trouble was a good move. Unfortunately, he still picked up his third foul midway through the 3rd qtr which kept him sidelined for 4+ minutes to finish the quarter.

Look forward to big things from both of these teams this year.

Nice Monday night crowd, and a doozy of a game.

Sorry so late checking in with game thoughts, but been gabbing on the phone since returning home.

Newport came out on fire and jumped out to an 8 point lead, but then Sisson went to work being a manly force, and began chipping away at that lead to have them back in it by the end of the 1st quarter.

Newport adjusted their pressure on him limiting him with double and triple coverage much in the second, but then the Bird's 3 ball came to life, when initially it looked like for them the game would be all Sisson. Ryan Leigh was connecting, and Sam Vinson was doing a great job handling the point. A couple other Bluebirds were hitting their shots too, but pardon me for not knowing their names.

Newport all the while were playing quite impressively poised with Donnie Miller having a dynamite game at point, and Harding being a man and imposing his will not afraid to muscle it to the hole, and creating even when at times it looked like nothing was there. Newport is a tough talented team, and along with this talent came smart basketball.

Both teams battled hard and very impressively at that and ended the 1st half Newport up by 1, 31-30. While the fast start by the Wildcats gave the impression that they might run away with it, Highlands very impressively changed the narrative to "Not in our house".

3rd quarter again saw them mostly at neck n' neck where it was now apparent that this game would likely go down to the wire, but Newport streaked a bit at the end of the quarter taking a 5 point lead.

When the 4th began, they quickly extended that lead to 9 and it began looking like it might get away from the Birds, but they didn't throw in the towel and turned up the pressure like they were playing for their lives and kept making impressive defensive stops, and steals, and cashing in on them to get the lead back within reach.

Before I get to the ending, I just want to say that if anyone hasn't seen Sisson in action they really need to do themselves a favor and get out to see him in all his might because it is a thing to behold. He is truly a dominant force and perhaps the strongest player this season in the 9th.

But with that said, the Birds are not just a one trick pony and they give him some impressive support.

And it wouldn't be fare if I also didn't say what an incredible team Newport has because in my mind they have it together way more this year than last, and they are chuck full of impressive talent with Maguire, Harding, and Miller leading the way, and also an impressive cast to fill them out with Davis, and Briscoe.

So fighting hard to make it a one possession game, and in the process while pulling it close Sission takes it straight to the hole with a monster dunk. On the possession to tie he tries again to send it home and is fouled and goes to the line with 5 seconds remaining and hits both to knot it up at 64.

Newport dribbles down with Harding heading to the hole where he gets fouled and goes to the line to put them ahead 66-64 with :0.04 seconds remaining on the clock.

Highland's only chance now was a full court Hail Mary pass intended for Sisson, but the Wildcats defused that aplenty with 1000 hands, and it was game over.

The packed house was treated to such an incredible Monday night game in the 9th as they saw two very good teams play their guts out while showing that this region is much deeper than many would like to believe.

Don't dare sleep on either one of these two teams, not even a wink.

Sisson missed the 2nd Free throw as it would of made it 65-64 in Highlands favor. IMO, I think it would given Highlands a better shot had he made the 2nd Free throw to set up a Defense rather than let Harding grab the rebound and take off up the Court and draw the cheap foul.

The pressure for Harding from Newport to make One Free throw to tie rather than shooting to win the game is a little different. Again IMO!

Would of could of should of right? Very nice post by you by the way!

Sisson missed the 2nd Free throw as it would of made it 65-64 in Highlands favor. IMO, I think it would given Highlands a better shot had he made the 2nd Free throw to set up a Defense rather than let Harding grab the rebound and take off up the Court and draw the cheap foul.

The pressure for Harding from Newport to make One Free throw to tie rather than shooting to win the game is a little different. Again IMO!

Your post implies that Sisson missed the 2nd free throw on purpose. That makes no sense in a tie ball game - they wold always want the lead to avoid going to OT.

Of course HHS would've had a better shot if he had made the free throw. They would have been winning with under 4 seconds to play. They "should've of, could've, would've" made a couple more free throws or just one more three throughout the game.

This was a great game and I am looking forward to HHS matching up with Campbell & Cooper, and Newport playing Cooper & Cov Cath as the season progresses.

Your post implies that Sisson missed the 2nd free throw on purpose. That makes no sense in a tie ball game - they wold always want the lead to avoid going to OT.

Of course HHS would've had a better shot if he had made the free throw. They would have been winning with under 4 seconds to play. They would've had a "better shot" f they had just made a couple more free throws or just one more three throughout the game.

This was a great game and I am looking forward to HHS matching up with Campbell & Cooper, and Newport playing Cooper & Cov Cath as the season progresses.

No I didn't mean to make it sound like he missed it on purpose. Glad you pointed that out! Thanks.....

Edited by THUNDERBIRDS

Was it not a foul? Looked like he had 2 guys all over him on the video above, but not being there, its hard to tell.

It was a foul, not a smart foul. Harding was driving with his head down against Starkey but headed right towards Sisson, Starkey reached in and fouled him. I am not sure if he just guards him that Harding finishes over Sisson but we will never know. It was, unfortunately, the correct call.

Was it not a foul? Looked like he had 2 guys all over him on the video above, but not being there, its hard to tell.

It was foul! But a foul that wasn't being called all night until it really mattered. Both teams were getting hammered the entire game.....But it was foul!:thumb: