Newport 66 Highlands 64

I was there. The game and atmosphere was top notch. Fans and players from both teams really getting into the game. So much so a Newport fan tried to go over behind Highlands bench and listen to their play calls. Harding and Sisson were jawing at each other hard in the 4th quarter and Harding even had some words with the Highlands student section. Couldn't ask for a better atmosphere prior to Christmas. Newport held a 5-6 pt advantage for most of the 2nd half. The halfcourt end of the half shot didn't hurt Newport. Highlands pressure in the final 2 minutes seemed to bother Newport and Highlands cut it to one with Sisson on the line. He made the first one and it looked to be heading into overtime. Harding drove the floor and got the foul call with 0.4 seconds left. He hit them both. Ballgame. I fully expect these two teams to see each other at district's and maybe even at a region final. I really liked Sisson's game. He hustles and goes after it. I liked a few kids on Newport too. I think the 9th is very competitive with Highlands, Newport, Beechwood, Cooper, and Cov Cath all in the mix. Not a dominate team but anyone could knock off anyone in a given night. I really enjoyed my first 9th region game of the season.

Nice Monday night crowd, and a doozy of a game.

Sorry so late checking in with game thoughts, but been gabbing on the phone since returning home.

Newport came out on fire and jumped out to an 8 point lead, but then Sisson went to work being a manly force, and began chipping away at that lead to have them back in it by the end of the 1st quarter.

Newport adjusted their pressure on him limiting him with double and triple coverage much in the second, but then the Bird's 3 ball came to life, when initially it looked like for them the game would be all Sisson. Ryan Leigh was connecting, and Sam Vinson was doing a great job handling the point. A couple other Bluebirds were hitting their shots too, but pardon me for not knowing their names.

Newport all the while were playing quite impressively poised with Donnie Miller having a dynamite game at point, and Harding being a man and imposing his will not afraid to muscle it to the hole, and creating even when at times it looked like nothing was there. Newport is a tough talented team, and along with this talent came smart basketball.

Both teams battled hard and very impressively at that and ended the 1st half Newport up by 1, 31-30. While the fast start by the Wildcats gave the impression that they might run away with it, Highlands very impressively changed the narrative to "Not in our house".

3rd quarter again saw them mostly at neck n' neck where it was now apparent that this game would likely go down to the wire, but Newport streaked a bit at the end of the quarter taking a 5 point lead.

When the 4th began, they quickly extended that lead to 9 and it began looking like it might get away from the Birds, but they didn't throw in the towel and turned up the pressure like they were playing for their lives and kept making impressive defensive stops, and steals, and cashing in on them to get the lead back within reach.

Before I get to the ending, I just want to say that if anyone hasn't seen Sisson in action they really need to do themselves a favor and get out to see him in all his might because it is a thing to behold. He is truly a dominant force and perhaps the strongest player this season in the 9th.

But with that said, the Birds are not just a one trick pony and they give him some impressive support.

And it wouldn't be fare if I also didn't say what an incredible team Newport has because in my mind they have it together way more this year than last, and they are chuck full of impressive talent with Maguire, Harding, and Miller leading the way, and also an impressive cast to fill them out with Davis, and Briscoe.

So fighting hard to make it a one possession game, and in the process while pulling it close Sission takes it straight to the hole with a monster dunk. On the possession to tie he tries again to send it home and is fouled and goes to the line with 5 seconds remaining and hits both to knot it up at 64.

Newport dribbles down with Harding heading to the hole where he gets fouled and goes to the line to put them ahead 66-64 with :0.04 seconds remaining on the clock.

Highland's only chance now was a full court Hail Mary pass intended for Sisson, but the Wildcats defused that aplenty with 1000 hands, and it was game over.

The packed house was treated to such an incredible Monday night game in the 9th as they saw two very good teams play their guts out while showing that this region is much deeper than many would like to believe.

Don't dare sleep on either one of these two teams, not even a wink.

Nice Monday night crowd, and a doozy of a game.

Sorry so late checking in with game thoughts, but been gabbing on the phone since returning home.

Newport came out on fire and jumped out to an 8 point lead, but then Sisson went to work being a manly force, and began chipping away at that lead to have them back in it by the end of the 1st quarter.

Newport adjusted their pressure on him limiting him with double and triple coverage much in the second, but then the Bird's 3 ball came to life, when initially it looked like for them the game would be all Sisson. Ryan Leigh was connecting, and Sam Vinson was doing a great job handling the point. A couple other Bluebirds were hitting their shots too, but pardon me for not knowing their names.

Newport all the while were playing quite impressively poised with Donnie Miller having a dynamite game at point, and Harding being a man and imposing his will not afraid to muscle it to the hole, and creating even when at times it looked like nothing was there. Newport is a tough talented team, and along with this talent came smart basketball.

Both teams battled hard and very impressively at that and ended the 1st half Newport up by 1, 31-30. While the fast start by the Wildcats gave the impression that they might run away with it, Highlands very impressively changed the narrative to "Not in our house".

3rd quarter again saw them mostly at neck n' neck where it was now apparent that this game would likely go down to the wire, but Newport streaked a bit at the end of the quarter taking a 5 point lead.

When the 4th began, they quickly extended that lead to 9 and it began looking like it might get away from the Birds, but they didn't throw in the towel and turned up the pressure like they were playing for their lives and kept making impressive defensive stops, and steals, and cashing in on them to get the lead back within reach.

Before I get to the ending, I just want to say that if anyone hasn't seen Sisson in action they really need to do themselves a favor and get out to see him in all his might because it is a thing to behold. He is truly a dominant force and perhaps the strongest player this season in the 9th.

But with that said, the Birds are not just a one trick pony and they give him some impressive support.

And it wouldn't be fare if I also didn't say what an incredible team Newport has because in my mind they have it together way more this year than last, and they are chuck full of impressive talent with Maguire, Harding, and Miller leading the way, and also an impressive cast to fill them out with Davis, and Briscoe.

So fighting hard to make it a one possession game, and in the process while pulling it close Sission takes it straight to the hole with a monster dunk. On the possession to tie he tries again to send it home and is fouled and goes to the line with 5 seconds remaining and hits both to knot it up at 64.

Newport dribbles down with Harding heading to the hole where he gets fouled and goes to the line to put them ahead 66-64 with :0.04 seconds remaining on the clock.

Highland's only chance now was a full court Hail Mary pass intended for Sisson, but the Wildcats defused that aplenty with 1000 hands, and it was game over.

The packed house was treated to such an incredible Monday night game in the 9th as they saw two very good teams play their guts out while showing that this region is much deeper than many would like to believe.

Don't dare sleep on either one of these two teams, not even a wink.

Woww. Excellent recap and sounds like an excellent game between two tough teams.

Thank you @Indiana Patrick for mentioning the half court shot by Newport... (in the last second chaos of the 3rd quarter, I didn't catch who nailed it).

Highlands had just hit a 3 to cut the Wildcat lead to 2, but they came right back in a hurry and said, Ok then,...TAKE THIS!!! ...and BAMM!!!... they extended the end of quarter lead right back up to 5.

If anyone out there caught who nailed the half court 3 let us know. The kid who accomplishes a feat like that needs to be acknowledged.

...And as if the night wasn't exciting enough, you had an amazing shot like that just for good measure, and I feel like a goof for failing to mention it. :banghead:

As an added bonus to the evening, there was also a celebrity sighting with legendary Coach Kenny Shields in the house.

Thank you @Indiana Patrick for mentioning the half court shot by Newport... (in the last second chaos of the 3rd quarter, I didn't catch who nailed it).

Highlands had just hit a 3 to cut the Wildcat lead to 2, but they came right back in a hurry and said, Ok then,...TAKE THIS!!! ...and BAMM!!!... they extended the end of quarter lead right back up to 5.

If anyone out there caught who nailed the half court 3 let us know. The kid who accomplishes a feat like that needs to be acknowledged.

...And as if the night wasn't exciting enough, you had an amazing shot like that just for good measure, and I feel like a goof for failing to mention it. :banghead:

As an added bonus to the evening, there was also a celebrity sighting with legendary Coach Kenny Shields in the house.

I think Donnie Miller was the one who hit it. I think I remember seeing somebody post it on Facebook.

I wish Ryan Leigh from Highlands would of gotten off to a better start last night. I think he was 0-5 from behind the Arc in the 1st quarter alone. He normally knocks down at least 2-3 of those on any given night. They were all open looks as well! But like they say, keep shooting it will start to fall. And they did!

I thought both teams played extremely hard for all 4 quarters. I did see that both Conner & Cooper players were in the House to see the Freak himself in person.

Ben Sisson may only be 6'-5" but plays much taller than that. Does anybody have the number on how many Block Shots he had? At Least a half dozen that I can remember.

Donnie Miller is a smooth Cat...No pun intended!

At what point does Coach Snapp form Newport need some CPR? My goodness! I know he's over the top but he almost Stroked out last night. He got very lucky when he approached the scores table late in the game and punched it. It was Technical worthy...IMO! He did it within 2:00 left in a 1-2 possession game as well. Very lucky!

This isn't the Highlands teams of old from the last half decade! Not even close....