How do programs recover from discouraging seasons?

sidelinedoc

Fairview went 0-10 and scored a total of 34 points and were shut out 7 times. They gave up 499 points this year. My question is; has any team in state history had such an inept 10 game schedule ever? I am not picking on Fairview by posting this but I am really just wondering where this stacks up against the rest of the state in regards to futility?

I have been very critical (to say the least) of Fairview, that's been well documented in the past on here. All of that had to do with some individuals (a coach then principal then superintendent and others) that were responsible for all the problems in the past that practically cost the people their school system all together. As I said, that's in the past.

As for now, I had heard last summer that Fairview may be cancelling their football program all together. For the residents of Westwood and the kids / students, I am glad that they kept football going. There was a vey low number of players problem. I believe that I read somewhere that Fairview had more younger kids that were interested, talented and want to play. I hope that's the case and they can keep football going.

I give a lot of credit to the Cooksey's at that school. Rex Cooksey and his son are coaching football along with practically every other sport at the school. Any community, school system needs that kind of dedicated individuals in their home towns, school system.

Yes, the 2001 Betsy Layne Bobcats went 0-10 and were outscored 12-574 on the season. The team had no administration support what so ever. The staff consisted of the head coach, 1 paid assistant and two volunteer assistants on Friday nights. The principal was non supportive in everyday possible. It was pathetic.

There are a lot of bad teams out there. I don’t think this is a good topic comparing all the bad teams in the state to find the worst.

I'm with you. Most of the kids that play in these programs don't have any option to do anything but play football for the team that they have set before them. They play because they love the game of football, and they deserve all the credit in the world for putting in their time to do so. You can say all you want for the hard work put out by the teams that make it to the state finals and win a championship, but the kids in programs like these are putting in all of that time and putting forth an awful lot of effort for the sake of the game they love to have their season called "futile".

Just my two nickles.

I am not diminishing anyone who plays/played for bad teams. I played at Greenup County and our best year was 5-6 and I never played in a playoff game. I was trying to bring up a discussion of what and why these things happen. I am not wanting to discuss wins and losses but the mere competitive aspect of the game. I cannot wrap my head around a team not being able to score and be a little more competitive. Teams that are struggling usually have the opportunity to play "lesser" opponents or of a more equal caliber and should be able to score and have at least 1-3 competitive games. I'll use East Carter as a perfect example. A few years ago, the team was struggling, not only to be competitive but in getting guys out for the team. The school decided to drop out of district play and scheduled a lighter schedule and was able to get morale up and kids interested in playing and now, the team is playing better. They almost won their playoff game last week as a 4 seed. These are some of the things I was hoping to get going, not to bash on the futility of bad seasons.

1) Schedule better (play people worse than you).

2) Hopefully get better talent coming up.

Anybody that doesn’t think these two things don’t hold true, or should I say these two factors don’t play more than the majority of their roles in determining success are just kidding themselves.

Been through two really tough seasons. 1-9 in 2004 and 2-8 in 2011. The 2011 season bled into a 7 game losing streak into 2012. Very tough.

1- Identify weaknesses or areas of improvement. Work on those.

2- Take a one day at a time approach to improvement. Inseason and offseason.

3- Ignore the noise and negativity. If you let it, all the negatives and bad can suck the energy out of you and you will also lose your focus. EVERYBODY can improve one day at at time and you must be there mentally.

4- Build on your positives. Find them and let those become your rallying point.

In 2005 we bounced back with a 7-4 record. We missed a FG at Rockcastle as the clock ran out in playoff game #1 or would have beat a very good team to advance.

In 2012 we bounced back to win our district and advance to the state quarterfinals. In 2013 we repeated as undefeated district champs and advanced to the state quarterfinals again.

Unfortunately, I've got my brains beat in on many Friday nights. But, we have bounced back from those tough times, 100% of the time. When things are rock bottom, I remember that in the past, the best times of all were right around the corner when things were the toughest. So, when things are really hard, and we certainly have had those stretches the last four years at Mercer, we just work and fight like crazy to get to the good times again. We know they are out there.

Your approach must start with your mindset. You have to make your brain dwell on the right things and then act on them.

Hope this helps someone.

In 2014 Bracken County had a team with a bunch of freshmen and sophomores. I don't think they won a game. I remember rumors going around that they might not show up for their first round playoff game at Beechwood. All those freshmen from that team were seniors last year for Bracken County and they won 9 or 10 games.

IMHO, the start to getting over a disappointing season begins with how the coach manages the future during the season.

Getting underclassmen valuable experience and game reps will help ensure improvement and help prevent future discouraging seasons.

Nothing instills optimism more than a large number of returning starters the next season.