How do programs recover from discouraging seasons?

sidelinedoc

Why is having talent and specifically having more talent (or even with)

than the people you play on schedule so overlooked? I get it to an extent- all the other stuff if what makes us all feel good inside.

The Kentucky Derby isn’t being won or even competed with by mules coming out of the gates.

I have more respect for kids in these type programs than the big winning programs. These kids get pounded every Friday night but still go to practice and work hard. A lot easier to go to practice when your winning and have a lot of support.
:thumb: Best post on this thread. I agree and although I had blasted schools, coaches (only 1or2) … I haven't talked about any h.s. kid. To me anyway, that's out of bounds. I'm not trying to self promote with that just really liked and agree w / your post.

Been through two really tough seasons. 1-9 in 2004 and 2-8 in 2011. The 2011 season bled into a 7 game losing streak into 2012. Very tough.

1- Identify weaknesses or areas of improvement. Work on those.

2- Take a one day at a time approach to improvement. Inseason and offseason.

3- Ignore the noise and negativity. If you let it, all the negatives and bad can suck the energy out of you and you will also lose your focus. EVERYBODY can improve one day at at time and you must be there mentally.

4- Build on your positives. Find them and let those become your rallying point.

In 2005 we bounced back with a 7-4 record. We missed a FG at Rockcastle as the clock ran out in playoff game #1 or would have beat a very good team to advance.

In 2012 we bounced back to win our district and advance to the state quarterfinals. In 2013 we repeated as undefeated district champs and advanced to the state quarterfinals again.

Unfortunately, I've got my brains beat in on many Friday nights. But, we have bounced back from those tough times, 100% of the time. When things are rock bottom, I remember that in the past, the best times of all were right around the corner when things were the toughest. So, when things are really hard, and we certainly have had those stretches the last four years at Mercer, we just work and fight like crazy to get to the good times again. We know they are out there.

Your approach must start with your mindset. You have to make your brain dwell on the right things and then act on them.

Hope this helps someone.

As always from you ….All Class. Great Post / Comments