Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New Apple products announced today

Featured Replies

Apple announced the first new Mac Mini in 4 years and it was a considerable bump, moving to desktop processor and some good options for RAM and SSD’s.

 

The new MacBook Air was a good bump as well, finally getting a retina screen and good options for Ram and SSD, disappointed still just have dual core processor, even Mac Mini gets 4X or 6X.

 

Both of these upgrades are a few years overdue.

 

The new iPad Pro’s are a real upgrade, the smaller bezels, faceid, new pencil , new squared side design with round corners. I don’t mind removing the home button but wish they had left in the headphone jack.

 

I am still with my iPhone 7 Plus and so far have resisted an upgrade to the new models and my MacBook Pro is a mid 2012 model probably still good for another year or two.

But although my 9.7 iPad Pro is fine, I see me buying a iPad Pro 11” in the next few weeks.

I'd love to have a MacBook but I can't justify the cost.

I'd love to have a MacBook but I can't justify the cost.

It’s definitely an investment. I’ve had my pro for 5 years and it runs the same as the day I bought it and have never touched a thing other than upgrading the OS whenever a new one is released. My sister and brother in law have had theirs for going on 8 years and they still run good as new as well. This is pretty rare to see from PC owners. The price is tough though. I bought mine with money I received as gifts over the years like birthdays, Christmas, etc.

Apple announced the first new Mac Mini in 4 years and it was a considerable bump, moving to desktop processor and some good options for RAM and SSD’s.

 

What more can you tell me about the Mac Mini and best ways to utilize it?

I'd love to have a MacBook but I can't justify the cost.

 

Cost keeps me away from Apple sometimes too.

  • Author

The older versions of Mac Min were a fairly cheap ($499 + up), intro to Mac computing. They were used for regular everyday use, as home theater computers and had early versions of Kodi, and other streaming services before streaming became so easy but requiring all the subscriptions.

 

Mac Mini’s come with the computer and a power cord, no mouse, keyboard, or monitor is included. If your old dell has just bit the dust you could use all the stuff from it and buy a Mac Mini to switch to MacOS. At $500 not too bad a deal. The older versions had notebook level processors and it was easy to upgrade and add RAM or another hard drive or even an SSD.

 

The new ones still come with just a computer and power cord, but the processors are now full desktop versions. I doubt the ram and hard drives are as easily upgraded (Apple has shied from this) but come with plenty of options as long as you can pay the “Apple tax”.

 

I used to recommend it as a beginner Mac and almost bought one for my stepfather before settling on a entry level iMac for him ($1099). I chose him the IMac at the time even though it was double the price, I could have got a $599 Mac mini with 4 GB RAM AND 500gb hard drive, but got him the 21.5 iMac with same processor, ram and hard drive. He loves the all in one design and Bluetooth keyboard and mouse giving him a very clean and tidy desk

 

I stopped recommending it just because it sat without an upgrade for 4 years and the last gen before this one made it hard to upgrade the ram and hard drive.

 

Mac Mini does have a cult following and this new model has better specs. It now is more comparable to a MacBook Pro than an entry level Mac and has the chops to do most anything you throw at it. Can edit HD video and with higher configurations even 4K, it still has a lot of ports .

 

I probably would again skip the Mac mini opting again for an IMac, if these had started at $599 instead of $799 I might have considered it.

I'm close to taking the Apple plunge into a laptop.

 

I want something that will last 4-6 years if I pay that much, and to be able to edit 4k video.

 

Best option?

I almost pulled the trigger on a Macbook Air a couple months ago. Ultimately, I ended up getting a good deal on a Surface Pro, and I ended up getting that instead. I absolutely love it, and have no regrets.

We've had our Macbook Pro for about 6 years now. Still runs very well (albeit a bit slower than when it was top of the line), however we're starting to run into issues with certain programs, like TurboTax, not being compatible going forward.

 

Don't want to have to spend the money on a new one, but may be forced to here soon.

  • Author

Are you updating the MacOS each year (Free )?

I haven’t had any issues yet and I am using a Mid 2012 MacBook Pro.

Are you updating the MacOS each year (Free )?

I haven’t had any issues yet and I am using a Mid 2012 MacBook Pro.

 

As far as I know we are. I'll have to check with the Mrs. She's the tech person at the house. :lol2:

I almost pulled the trigger on a Macbook Air a couple months ago. Ultimately, I ended up getting a good deal on a Surface Pro, and I ended up getting that instead. I absolutely love it, and have no regrets.

 

One of my clients ditched their iPad Pro 12.9s for Surface Pro 4s. Much better system and can run all the apps they need. Made my life a heck of a lot easier.

One of my clients ditched their iPad Pro 12.9s for Surface Pro 4s. Much better system and can run all the apps they need. Made my life a heck of a lot easier.

If you are getting a tablet to replace a laptop then the surface is probably a better option than the ipad. I’m an apple guy through and through but the surface is a great product.

When you pay the same amount for a Windows device as you do a comparable Apple device, you get the same quality and reliability. I have Windows laptops in the field greater than 10 years old that still function fine, but I paid for what I got.

 

There are also some things an Apple can do that a PC can't, as easily, and visa versa.

 

For example, I am typing this post on a Mac Mini (circa 2014, 3 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM, 1TB HD) currently running Mojave. It's a fine machine, but I primarily use it for writing phone apps in Xamarin (aka Visual Studio for Mac). On a Mac, I can emulate both Android and iOS devices, where I still need a Mac to emulate iOS devices when using Xamarin on a PC. I'm on it, right now, because I am working on an app.

If you are getting a tablet to replace a laptop then the surface is probably a better option than the ipad. I’m an apple guy through and through but the surface is a great product.

 

I haven't encountered anything my Surface can't do that a laptop could. It is a little awkward to try to sit the Surface on your lap, but it's very portable, works just like a PC (aside from the smaller screen), and the Pen is way better than Apple's pen. The only thing I really don't like is the weird, proprietary charging cable, and lack of USB C port. I still use my Ipad pro 9.7, but with bigger Iphones, and now my Surface, I probably won't ever upgrade or replace my Ipad when it dies (which it's showing no signs of doing).

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.