Are things heating up at Cooper?

theguru

I wonder how many other places would love to have that Cancerous horrible football environment that you call Ryle and HHS?

Also, This isn't 1980, it doesn't make the kids soft if they aren't in full equip in 100 degree heat. These kids train year round now with the education of meal plans and training facilities that we never had. I'd bet money they are in better shape than 99.9% of us were as kids. These kids definitely AREN'T us and there kids definitely won't be them. Yes everyone needs a reality check now and again and hard practices are needed but great coaches adapt over time and find multiple ways to reach kids and don't need to just promise full equipment all week that ends up making a kids sick and sending someone to the ER to prove a point. Seems like a lose-lose situation to me.

Did someone from Cooper go to the ER??

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the ED trip because of heat exhaustion, dehydration, a broken finger? I’m not a doc but not knowing all the details of the player and possible underlying issues they may have, seems a little harsh to question coaches who are under the watchful eye of a trainer. As long as the rules were followed.

I'm reading lots of posts about gear, but none about the heat index.

It was a high of 93° in northern Kentucky on Tuesday, and it's been crazy humid. At 93°, it only takes 56% humidity to put the heat index at 105°, at which point the KHSAA's heat illness program mandates that teams "stop all outside activity in practice and/or play".

Were other teams around the area practicing outside on Tuesday?

From what I know practice was moved back a few hours from normal start time. Meaning it was no longer at hottest part of the day. Also as mentioned they have a trainer who would regularly check the on field temperature measuring the heat index. So practice was well within the legal rules.

Seems most agree on here. That there was nothing wrong with practicing if it was within the rules, which it was. It seems more like people just trying to find something to complain about.

I would be willing to bet that if this was a game played that day. People wouldn't say a word about the heat. If they saw Cooper players tired in the heat in the game, they wouldn't use the heat as the reason. People would then complain well they aren't in shape. It seems like its a no win situation anymore for coaches. No matter what a coach does, people will find something to complain about.

Edited by futurecoach

Are these crockodile tears? It seams if they were winning nothing would be said. When you’re losing the haters come out of the woodwork.

Bingo.

The trainer at Cooper doesn't hide heat index issues either. He literally walks out to the middle of the practice field and takes the heat index. If it's in the range where things need to be changed, he let's the coaches know. From my experience with Borchers and the staff, they do not ignore the heat index rules.

I'd be willing to bet also that the post mentioned earlier about kids being in better shape now than they ever have isn't exactly accurate. There are some kids that are absolutely in fantastic shape. There are other kids still doing the bare minimum training wise to prepare themselves for the heat.

Bingo.

The trainer at Cooper doesn't hide heat index issues either. He literally walks out to the middle of the practice field and takes the heat index. If it's in the range where things need to be changed, he let's the coaches know. From my experience with Borchers and the staff, they do not ignore the heat index rules.

I'd be willing to bet also that the post mentioned earlier about kids being in better shape now than they ever have isn't exactly accurate. There are some kids that are absolutely in fantastic shape. There are other kids still doing the bare minimum training wise to prepare themselves for the heat.

What? Come on... You don't think 30 years ago some were doing the bare min training and some were out there killing it? That doesn't change the fact that overall the kids today are training year round and are in better shape given the advantages of education, technology, training, 7-on-7's, Lineman challenges, etc than 30 years ago.

What? Come on... You don't think 30 years ago some were doing the bare min training and some were out there killing it? That doesn't change the fact that overall the kids today are training year round and are in better shape given the advantages of education, technology, training, 7-on-7's, Lineman challenges, etc than 30 years ago.

I'm saying that I was a high school coach as recently as 2 years ago and that the amount of kids actually doing more than what is required isn't nearly as high as you're thinking it is. Sure, there are a lot of kids doing it but there is equally a large amount of kids not preparing themselves for the heat.

It’s not just about being in shape. Now it’s been a while since I played but when I was a kid kids played and worked outside a lot more than they do now. We were acclimated to heat because we were in it so much. We didn’t have nearly the distractions and opportunities kids have today. I can’t handle heat like I use to due to years of working in the AC among other things. It does make a difference.

Edited by theguru
Rule 13

I'm saying that I was a high school coach as recently as 2 years ago and that the amount of kids actually doing more than what is required isn't nearly as high as you're thinking it is. Sure, there are a lot of kids doing it but there is equally a large amount of kids not preparing themselves for the heat.

Oh, gotcha. I agree with that and that's not all on the coaches. That's probably more of a parent issue honestly.

I would think the players should be in shape by now, its going into the 4th game of the season. Having extremely hard and brutal practices at this stage would do more harm than good IMO. Especially if players are going to the ER, how well will they practice after, what will it take out of them for the upcoming game. This is a short week due to the holiday, which may affect their ability to play at their best tomorrow night.

I would think the players should be in shape by now, its going into the 4th game of the season. Having extremely hard and brutal practices at this stage would do more harm than good IMO. Especially if players are going to the ER, how well will they practice after, what will it take out of them for the upcoming game. This is a short week due to the holiday, which may affect their ability to play at their best tomorrow night.

Short week??

What are you talking about. I am sure they practiced Monday. And coach will not make that an excuse if they lose this week. Parents need to trust the process out there the coaching staff does a great job with what they have to work with.

Edited by bugatti