Are things heating up at Cooper?

theguru

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things can heat up at Cooper all they want, the fact is Randy Borchers isn't going anywhere unless he chooses to go. Cooper isn't Ryle, where parents and assistant coaches storm the castle to get the coach fired. Cooper isn't Highlands, where arrogance and ignorance of the masses are used to try and get their coach fired. So they practiced long and hard on a warm day, good. They need to practice. And if was intense, good. Cooper has had a top notch coaching staff there for quite some time and I know they wouldn't put kids in harm's way. They're trainer, who's been there for a long time, would never allow any staff to put kids in harm's way.

If this "heat" is anything, it's from parents who don't understand the ways of the coaching world. Randy Borchers is a perfectionist, like so many of our head coaches. Cooper's players, who are talented, are still learning how to win games and not let mistakes beat them. Do you think it was any different for the kids who played at Cov Cath for Eddie those first couple seasons he was there? Does anyone think Noel Rash or Jeff Marksberry give their kids light practices after losses and games where mistakes have cost them? Wake up, because I know better.

Time has made our parents and kids soft, which has made them better at life, but not at athletics. I named four of the best head coaches in NKY in this post and my son could play for any one of them because he would be a better player and man for having done so.

Best of luck to everyone this weekend. Rant over.

Shouldn't they always practice in full equipment?

Typically you do 1 full padded practice, 2 practices in shells, and a walkthrough in helmets (this could also be shells).

Is this the highschool rules or Cooper rules?

I realize it's been 15 years now, but typically we did a walk through Monday, scouting the team we were facing that week. Followed by Offense/Defense(full pads) Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday just another walk-thru day, usually on the game field going through everything in the playbook that week.

I realize it's been 15 years now, but typically we did a walk through Monday, scouting the team we were facing that week. Followed by Offense/Defense(full pads) Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday just another walk-thru day, usually on the game field going through everything in the playbook that week.

I’ve been out of coaching a few years now but we were very similar. Typically Monday would be a 3/4 speed day in shells. Tuesday was full go. Wednesday back to shells for offense and Thursday was either just helmets for walkthrough or shells.

I’ve been out of coaching a few years now but we were very similar. Typically Monday would be a 3/4 speed day in shells. Tuesday was full go. Wednesday back to shells for offense and Thursday was either just helmets for walkthrough or shells.

Different coaches believe in different work cycles depending on the research they follow. A popular one currently is go hard Monday, light Tuesday, hard Wednesday, light Thursday then game. Another model is light Monday and increase intensity throughout the week till game day.

Many teams never wear pants during the week. They just wear the girdle under shorts and never take anyone to the ground. In years past a lot of teams started backing off by about week five to prevent injury and help with recovery.

The heat restrictions also have a big impact on this. There are days in general where you just can’t wear certain pieces of equipment. You can still learn to be physical without padding up everyday.

We did the same. Monday was film and conditioning, Tuesday was defense, Wednesday offense, Thursday walk through in shells.

It is a coaches decision to base the level of practice intensity and equipment worn on the needs of his team, as long as it is within the rules. Theoretically, a team could practice every day in pads according to the rules. Although not wise, they could.

Things can heat up at Cooper all they want, the fact is Randy Borchers isn't going anywhere unless he chooses to go. Cooper isn't Ryle, where parents and assistant coaches storm the castle to get the coach fired. Cooper isn't Highlands, where arrogance and ignorance of the masses are used to try and get their coach fired. So they practiced long and hard on a warm day, good. They need to practice. And if was intense, good. Cooper has had a top notch coaching staff there for quite some time and I know they wouldn't put kids in harm's way. They're trainer, who's been there for a long time, would never allow any staff to put kids in harm's way.

If this "heat" is anything, it's from parents who don't understand the ways of the coaching world. Randy Borchers is a perfectionist, like so many of our head coaches. Cooper's players, who are talented, are still learning how to win games and not let mistakes beat them. Do you think it was any different for the kids who played at Cov Cath for Eddie those first couple seasons he was there? Does anyone think Noel Rash or Jeff Marksberry give their kids light practices after losses and games where mistakes have cost them? Wake up, because I know better.

Time has made our parents and kids soft, which has made them better at life, but not at athletics. I named four of the best head coaches in NKY in this post and my son could play for any one of them because he would be a better player and man for having done so.

Best of luck to everyone this weekend. Rant over.

I wonder how many other places would love to have that Cancerous horrible football environment that you call Ryle and HHS?

Also, This isn't 1980, it doesn't make the kids soft if they aren't in full equip in 100 degree heat. These kids train year round now with the education of meal plans and training facilities that we never had. I'd bet money they are in better shape than 99.9% of us were as kids. These kids definitely AREN'T us and there kids definitely won't be them. Yes everyone needs a reality check now and again and hard practices are needed but great coaches adapt over time and find multiple ways to reach kids and don't need to just promise full equipment all week that ends up making a kids sick and sending someone to the ER to prove a point. Seems like a lose-lose situation to me.

I'm reading lots of posts about gear, but none about the heat index.

It was a high of 93° in northern Kentucky on Tuesday, and it's been crazy humid. At 93°, it only takes 56% humidity to put the heat index at 105°, at which point the KHSAA's heat illness program mandates that teams "stop all outside activity in practice and/or play".

Were other teams around the area practicing outside on Tuesday?