BluegrassPreps Class 2A Pre-Season Rankings (Discussion)

Ram

Not sure why Mayfield is ranked at 1 other than being Mayfield and this is a different team returning this year. Lots of talent and size this year but new O line. I do think its a champion caliber team though but will need to be tested to get there. Thoughts?

The Cardinals return two QB's, RB's and Receivers. A lot of their defense returns as well I think. They probably return more than any other top 2A team out there.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cardinals return two QB's, RB's and Receivers. A lot of their defense returns as well I think. They probably return more than any other top 2A team out there.

True. Im thinking however the production of the QBs ( how much will they even use both) and WR will hinge on the O line to allow those veterans to perform.

True. Im thinking however the production of the QBs ( how much will they even use both) and WR will hinge on the O line to allow those veterans to perform.

But they have good RB returning as well. Who would you put in their place? To me Danville is just behind them in preseason but might go past them by the end.

Understand. But it really wasn't a two score win.

Mayfield scored on the last play of the game when the Danville defense was both gassed and could care less. If Walker runs the reverse I think he very well could have scored. The Punt return was all Van Cleave.

And counterpoint. If Thornton doesn't hurt his shoulder early and the Ads get pinned back and give up a safety and TD from bad field position I don't think the Cardinals get their first points.

It's all perspective I'm sure. Will The Ads miss Van Cleave. You bet ya. But the Danville team speed last year was as great or greater than those early 90's juggernauts from Danville. To me, Mayfield's offense did not look good until the game was out of hand and the pressure was off.

Lots of "ifs" in this post. I think Danville was better with or without Van Cleave. I also agree on Danville team speed being a difference maker. But having watched Mayfield in the playoffs, specifically the CAL game, I thought that was an emotionally draining game. It showed in Lexington. Mayfield seemed to lack the energy they had the week before.

Thornton looked good in title game. Especially mobility because MF defense had a hard time even getting a hand on him. Made some good throws as well. But I didn't see a Mr. Football candidate.

As far as Danville getting hosed in these rankings, its preseason. Does it really matter? The top 4 or 5 teams are all talented and have a shot.

Lots of "ifs" in this post. I think Danville was better with or without Van Cleave. I also agree on Danville team speed being a difference maker. But having watched Mayfield in the playoffs, specifically the CAL game, I thought that was an emotionally draining game. It showed in Lexington. Mayfield seemed to lack the energy they had the week before.

Thornton looked good in title game. Especially mobility because MF defense had a hard time even getting a hand on him. Made some good throws as well. But I didn't see a Mr. Football candidate.

As far as Danville getting hosed in these rankings, its preseason. Does it really matter? The top 4 or 5 teams are all talented and have a shot.

If Thornton throws for 2500, runs for 500 and Danville is 9-1 at the end of the regular season then he will be a Mr. Football candidate. Same time last year no one was mentioning D’Mauraie VanCleave as a Mr. Football candidate.

AJ Mayer and it isn’t even close. That’s a great question though.

Losing Barry Sanders isn't close to losing AJ??? I don't know man. Danville isn't close to winning it last year if not for one of the greatest individual performances we'll ever see in all aspects of offense.

If Thornton throws for 2500, runs for 500 and Danville is 9-1 at the end of the regular season then he will be a Mr. Football candidate. Same time last year no one was mentioning D’Mauraie VanCleave as a Mr. Football candidate.

Thornton is a great player and this is a very good point about VanCleave coming off the radar to win the award.

With that said, will be interesting to see if he can repeat his numbers with his new cast of characters this season. Having the guys he had last season made it easy for a bubble screen to turn into a 65 yard TD pass.

If I had to guess, I would say Thornton's completion percentage and TD passes slip, and his rushing yards and rushing TD's slightly increase this year.

I am going to say he throws for around 2000 yards and rushes for maybe 650-700

He had 46 total TD's last season, I think he is probably around the 40-42 mark this year with probably double figure rushing TD's

Losing Barry Sanders isn't close to losing AJ??? I don't know man. Danville isn't close to winning it last year if not for one of the greatest individual performances we'll ever see in all aspects of offense.

You’re severely underestimating Danville’s overall talent and coaching. Not to mention, in HS the most important position on the field is QB. Danville didn’t dominate Mayfield because of VanCleave. He played a part but he wasn’t the only part. Jaleel Warren had the play of the game and their defense stifled Mayfield the whole game.

Wandale Robinson is the same kind of played as VanCleave is. How come Western Hills doesn’t have the same success Danville has? Danville beat Boyle County 10-7 last year and VanCleave didn’t score that game. Boyle County put a running clock on Western Hills twice last season and averaged 66.5 points against them.

If VanCleave doesn’t score against Boyle County and Danville still wins their toughest game of the season then why can’t they win this year when they still have guys on this year’s team capable of taking a bubble screen 65 yards to the house?

Thornton is a great player and this is a very good point about VanCleave coming off the radar to win the award.

With that said, will be interesting to see if he can repeat his numbers with his new cast of characters this season. Having the guys he had last season made it easy for a bubble screen to turn into a 65 yard TD pass.

If I had to guess, I would say Thornton's completion percentage and TD passes slip, and his rushing yards and rushing TD's slightly increase this year.

I am going to say he throws for around 2000 yards and rushes for maybe 650-700

He had 46 total TD's last season, I think he is probably around the 40-42 mark this year with probably double figure rushing TD's

I expect that same kind of production and if Danville is 9-1 or 8-2 at the end of the regular season then he should be a Mr. Football candidate.

in HS the most important position on the field is QB.

I've argued it before, but I totally disagree. The Center always has been, and still is the most important position on the field in high school. And, on many teams, depending on the type of offense they play, the leading rusher is the second most important. If a high school team throws a lot, I would even argue that the leading receiver is more import then the quarterback because if you watch, a lot of times the receiver makes the quarterback's stats look much better then they actually are. But, I digress, continue with your argument.

I've argued it before, but I totally disagree. The Center always has been, and still is the most important position on the field in high school. And, on many teams, depending on the type of offense they play, the leading rusher is the second most important. If a high school team throws a lot, I would even argue that the leading receiver is more import then the quarterback because if you watch, a lot of times the receiver makes the quarterback's stats look much better then they actually are. But, I digress, continue with your argument.

I don’t care who the center is if you have an inexperienced and unseasoned quarterback taking snaps.

I don’t care who your leading rusher is if the QB can’t make a routine handoff 99.9% of the time.

I don’t care who your leading WR is if the QB can’t complete a variety of different and difficult passes from different angles in unpredictable circumstances on every play.

I thought I read somewhere that Mayfields O line is going to be young and somewhat inexperienced? That being said they are always well coached and prepared, 2A should be fun to watch this year

The center?

The center?

I'd like to see the rationale as well. Maybe if they are responsible for line calls? But even then, many high school coaches won't give their center that responsibility. The QB, I'd bet, calls the protection changes just as much as centers do across the state.