BluegrassPreps Class 2A Pre-Season Rankings (Discussion)

Ram

I'm not sure Danville goes undefeated without VanCleave, but I do think they still have a great shot at the title.

I think that is a very fair assessment.

Personally, I believe Mayfield wins the title game if there is no VanCleave on Danville. but I do think Danville would have a shot at winning without him. Danville is definitely the underdog but they were still good enough they could have pulled an upset

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s interesting. I think Danville still wins without VanCleave but I do think that CovCath still wins without Mayer last year but that is largely because 5A was so down last year. I think BG and SW will both be better this year than they were last year and SW is still my pick to win 5A this year.

David Walker was a WR for Danville and he had a better junior year than senior year. Take VanCleave off the team last year and I guarantee that David Walker has insane numbers last season. Danville has athletes for days.

The thing about Danville is that Zach Thornton played a large part for their success. VanCleave was a dynamic player but I feel like his production can be replaced. His value may not be replaced but with the raw talent and athletes that Danville has along with the return of Zach Thornton I don’t expect Danville’s offense to suffer much. I’m more concerned with them replacing Don Harris at RB than VanCleave at WR.

I’ll say this also.....Zach Thornton should be a Mr. Football candidate.

This. 100%

I almost replied to the article on Twitter that doesn't have him listed.

I think that is a very fair assessment.

Personally, I believe Mayfield wins the title game if there is no VanCleave on Danville. but I do think Danville would have a shot at winning without him. Danville is definitely the underdog but they were still good enough they could have pulled an upset

See I think Danville throttled Mayfield because of their Defense, not their offense. Van Cleave was important to that but Mayfield had not faced the TEAM speed that Danville had last year.

After 3 Quarters Mayfield only had 179 yards of total offense. More than 1/3 came on a 73 yard pass play.

By the time they moved the ball it was too late and Danville just played back and prevent.

See I think Danville throttled Mayfield because of their Defense, not their offense. Van Cleave was important to that but Mayfield had not faced the TEAM speed that Danville had last year.

After 3 Quarters Mayfield only had 179 yards of total offense. More than 1/3 came on a 73 yard pass play.

By the time they moved the ball it was too late and Danville just played back and prevent.

Counterpoint.

In a two-score win, VanCleave scored four of Danville's five touchdowns and two of them were on long runs that I'm not sure happen with anyone else running the ball.

Counterpoint.

In a two-score win, VanCleave scored four of Danville's five touchdowns and two of them were on long runs that I'm not sure happen with anyone else running the ball.

Understand. But it really wasn't a two score win.

Mayfield scored on the last play of the game when the Danville defense was both gassed and could care less. If Walker runs the reverse I think he very well could have scored. The Punt return was all Van Cleave.

And counterpoint. If Thornton doesn't hurt his shoulder early and the Ads get pinned back and give up a safety and TD from bad field position I don't think the Cardinals get their first points.

It's all perspective I'm sure. Will The Ads miss Van Cleave. You bet ya. But the Danville team speed last year was as great or greater than those early 90's juggernauts from Danville. To me, Mayfield's offense did not look good until the game was out of hand and the pressure was off.

I think the rankings are right. They lost a ton and that's fair based off what they returned. You cant rank them based off potential when the other kids that didnt get the mins last season. I thought the herald rankings having them at #2 was a little much.

If my math is correct, it took 171 minutes. You're slacking.

First ranking thread, 11 posts in, pretty quick. :lol2:

I can't imagine a program the caliber of Danville would use a pre-season message board poll as any bulletin board material.

Not sure why Mayfield is ranked at 1 other than being Mayfield and this is a different team returning this year. Lots of talent and size this year but new O line. I do think its a champion caliber team though but will need to be tested to get there. Thoughts?

Edited by bigdukesix

How good will Glasgow be this year? Can they win state? Do they return a lot of talent from last year’s team?
I don't know much about Glasgow but my guess would be they are a final 4 team with the way cross bracketing is this year. ( Please correct me if I am wrong)

R1: D1 vs D2

R2: D3 vs D5

R3: D4 vs D6

R4: D7 vs D8

Region 1: #1-Mayfield , #7-Owensboro Catholic

Region 2: #5-Glasgow , #10-Monroe Co.

Region 3: #2-CAL , #3-DeSales , #6-Newport Central Cath., #8-Lloyd Memorial

Region 4: #4-Danville , #9-Somerset

West side: Region 1 vs Region 2

East side: Region 3 vs Region 4