Another "Stand Your Ground" Case In Florida

ColonelPops

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, unlikely.

Do you believe you should be able to kill somebody because they push you?

You aren’t alone here, Deuce. This is ridiculous.

I guess had the woman had had a gun, she could have shot the first guy to begin with, if she felt threatened, right, as some men can easily kill with their hands.

I’m with Deuce on this one. That’s manslaughter. The guy is many feet from the one on the ground. It appears the gunman doesn’t look to back off the pusher with a warning. He just takes aim and shoots him.

Deuce made the point that the shooter killed a guy for pushing him. I am making the point that the simple push, could in fact, kill someone.

So in this case, under Florida law, I can absolutely see this as a self defense shooting. The guy who pushed, showed himself to be a threat..........................................

If you walk up on me, I’m putting two in your chest and saying you were approaching me in a threatening manner....

Based on what I have read in the opening post, I don't agree with this application of Stand Your Ground but in general, I am a STAUNCH advocate for Stand Your Ground. People who believe Stand Your Ground means you can legally shoot someone if you say you are scared are ignorant of Stand Your Ground and only know what the media has told them about Stand Your Ground who has proven themselves as clueless of Stand Your Ground. Let me offer this as a source, Massad Ayoob is a brilliant Expert Witness in gun related cases going back to the 70's. He is the person all other Expert Witnesses look up to.

Based on what I have read in the opening post, I don't agree with this application of Stand Your Ground but in general, I am a STAUNCH advocate for Stand Your Ground. People who believe Stand Your Ground means you can legally shoot someone if you say you are scared are ignorant of Stand Your Ground and only know what the media has told them about Stand Your Ground who has proven themselves as clueless of Stand Your Ground. Let me offer this as a source, Massad Ayoob is a brilliant Expert Witness in gun related cases going back to the 70's. He is the person all other Expert Witnesses look up to.

You can say folks are ignorant if you’d like, but a man shot and killed another man because he was pushed to the ground and no charges are being filed. Maybe this particular case is a bad example, but it’s easy to understand how people could form that opinion based on this situation.

You can say folks are ignorant if you’d like, but a man shot and killed another man because he was pushed to the ground and no charges are being filed. Maybe this particular case is a bad example, but it’s easy to understand how people could form that opinion based on this situation.

The problem is, the thousands of instances where Stand Your Ground protected innocent people from spending months in jail, every penny they have on legal defense, and lose their home like happened to Jay Lewis does not make the news. Only the extremely rare cases where the application of the law fails like this and I say that assuming this media report of the case is correct, that can be a shaky assumption with our media who cares more about the speed of releasing a story than verifying the accuracy of the facts reported upon.

And let's not assume Stand Your Ground is the only law that is sometimes is incorrectly applied. For example, the rich kid who was released on rape charges of the drunk girl at (I think) Standford. Terrible application of law. But, I say just because a law is misapplied on the rare occasion does not make it a bad law, Stand Your Ground is a good law.

The problem is, the thousands of instances where Stand Your Ground protected innocent people from spending months in jail, every penny they have on legal defense, and lose their home like happened to Jay Lewis does not make the news. Only the extremely rare cases where the application of the law fails like this and I say that assuming this media report of the case is correct, that can be a shaky assumption with our media who cares more about the speed of releasing a story than verifying the accuracy of the facts reported upon.

And let's not assume Stand Your Ground is the only law that is sometimes is incorrectly applied. For example, the rich kid who was released on rape charges of the drunk girl at (I think) Standford. Terrible application of law. But, I say just because a law is misapplied on the rare occasion does not make it a bad law, Stand Your Ground is a good law.

I think we are on the same page. Generally speaking, I’d say the law is a good one. This particular instance is in no way one where SYG should apply, IMO. Like I was saying, people who are unfamiliar with the law will form the wrong opinion, and rightfully so, based on this case.

I think most people agree with Bert in allowing people to defend themselves.

I think this particular case points out the problem with the way the law is written and the leeway it gives to this guy. It seems too open-ended unilke the "Castle Doctrine" which almost every person agrees with.

I think most people agree with Bert in allowing people to defend themselves.

I think this particular case points out the problem with the way the law is written and the leeway it gives to this guy. It seems too open-ended unilke the "Castle Doctrine" which almost every person agrees with.

I disagree. I have read the law and it it is pretty clear how lethal force can only be used when the reasonableness aspect that is used in all self defense statutes is met. We just have a very few instances where it appears the law was misapplied. I say appears because I am hoping people from the self defense legal world will review this and give their expert opinion instead of journalist who are often woefully ignorant of self defense legal aspects and their reporting on them often portray such ignorance.