Thailand Cave Rescue: Boys found alive after 9 days

Pura Vida

How long until the movie about this is released?

I'm saying 24 to 30 months at the most.

Lifetime low budget version in six weeks. Real film, yeah a couple of years. I can't wait for it! I have been captivated by this.

Kudos to everyone involved. And as JA mentioned, RIP to the Navy Seal that lost his life.

I wonder if the capsule was used that Musk sent? So many details to come.

I saw several sources stating that the individual in charge of the rescue mission said that they rescue submarine was appreciated, but was not practical for use in the rescue mission. Nothing outright said "we didn't use it", but it doesn't sound like they used it.

I saw several sources stating that the individual in charge of the rescue mission said that they rescue submarine was appreciated, but was not practical for use in the rescue mission. Nothing outright said "we didn't use it", but it doesn't sound like they used it.

But good to have it, for next time. Like most things on social media, many will learn from the cave experience, and many more will outright try it!

Anxiety increases rate of breathing, which would increase the rate you're burning through oxygen.

Video I saw this morning looked like they had the kids strapped to a stretcher. Hands looked to be free but the rest of the body was wrapped up tight.

Video I saw this morning looked like they had the kids strapped to a stretcher. Hands looked to be free but the rest of the body was wrapped up tight.

I saw that too. Yeesh...I'd just want to be knocked out cold if that was how you're dragging me out.

My understanding is that once they had a rescue team in place to stay in the cave with the boys as they were waiting to be brought out, they made the decision to leave the weaker boys until later in order to give the team time to get more familiar with the underwater cave trek and the rescue process as they brought out the first two groups of boys - who were swimming on their own and did not require the stretchers. The stretchers were only used on the weaker boys later in the rescue.

I read that the coach, who has been extremely apologetic throughout the whole process, is a 25 year old who was raised in an orphanage. He was the weakest individual in the group being rescued because he had given all of the snacks he brought in to the boys on the team, so he had not eaten for 10 days when they were initially discovered in the cave. The whole group was able to keep hydrated via mineral water that was seeping down through the cracks in the mountain rock.

Interestingly enough, the coach also spent time training to be a Buddhist monk, so in order to calm the boys while they were trapped in the cave, he taught them all to meditate. The (assumed) unintentional side-effect of that was that the meditation slowed all of their breathing down and helped to reserve oxygen in the cave chamber once the passageways became flooded.

The rescue team was headed by 4 Thai Royal Navy SEALs, and then had 8 more rescue divers from Australia, Japan, the UK, and the US assisting. They had additional support from about 100 volunteer divers with placing the static line, staging oxygen tanks and supplies along the rescue route, and carting supplies to and from the kids. The additional divers were from Thailand, Australia, Japan, the UK, the US, China, Laos, Myanmar, Denmark, and Finland.

I got SCUBA certified during my college years, and one thing that's mind-blowingly scary to me is the fact that there is one stretch of the underwater passageway that is actually too small to pass through with your oxygen tank on your back....so in murky water with almost zero visibility, they have to remove their tanks and swim their way through an underwater wormhole that's only about as big around as a beach ball.

This video has a pretty good diagram of the cave starting at about the 36 second mark:

• 3 years later...
  • 10 months later...
On 7/2/2018 at 1:42 PM, nkypete said:

Great news! I see a movie about this sometime in the future!

On 7/10/2018 at 8:52 AM, Jumper_Dad said:

How long until the movie about this is released?

I'm saying 24 to 30 months at the most.

On 7/10/2018 at 9:04 AM, bugatti said:

Lifetime low budget version in six weeks. Real film, yeah a couple of years. I can't wait for it! I have been captivated by this.

On 7/10/2018 at 9:13 AM, John Anthony said:

The film will be insane. I liked the one with Sly Stallone trapped in the tunnel. This one will blow it away.

• Like 2