Cubs at Reds (6/21 - 6/24)

Why are Cincinnati fans so negative? We have one of the best hitters in the game and I see more people complaining about him instead of embracing him. Does anyone else think that the negativity of Marty and Thom Brennamen effect the fans of Cincinnati?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are Cincinnati fans so negative? We have one of the best hitters in the game and I see more people complaining about him instead of embracing him. Does anyone else think that the negativity of Marty and Thom Brennamen effect the fans of Cincinnati?

Absolutely. I think there are a lot of "casual" fans who will have an opinion on something, that's ultimately based upon something they heard on a broadcast. I have only listened to a radio broadcast in very few instances over the last couple of years, so I honestly don't know exactly what Marty is saying. But Thom...good grief...I often wonder what Welsh or Brantley are thinking sitting next to him.

I dont think Marty and Thom call out the Reds players enough IMO.

It is the repetitiveness of Votto's mistakes/lack of doing that are the issue for me. The base running mistakes, like this weekend, when he knows there is a runner in front of him, no excuse for that at the MLB level. If that was his only time doing it this season, you could deal with it, but how many does he have this year already? Add into that, that with 2 strikes he takes way to many pitches for called strike three. If he is such a good hitter, he should be able to hit the ball with 2 strikes. (and dont give me the "it was a borderline pitch" argument, hes taken called third strikes right down the middle of the plate, bat still on his shoulder.)

For such a claimed elite player, his actions dont show that. Sure he puts up good numbers on what has been overall a very bad Red's team for most of his career.

I dont think Marty and Thom call out the Reds players enough IMO.

It is the repetitiveness of Votto's mistakes/lack of doing that are the issue for me. The base running mistakes, like this weekend, when he knows there is a runner in front of him, no excuse for that at the MLB level. If that was his only time doing it this season, you could deal with it, but how many does he have this year already? Add into that, that with 2 strikes he takes way to many pitches for called strike three. If he is such a good hitter, he should be able to hit the ball with 2 strikes. (and dont give me the "it was a borderline pitch" argument, hes taken called third strikes right down the middle of the plate, bat still on his shoulder.)

For such a claimed elite player, his actions dont show that. Sure he puts up good numbers on what has been overall a very bad Red's team for most of his career.

I don’t know about this year, but last year, according to pro media, he is the only player in mlb that didn’t take a called third strike that had a 70% chance of being called a strike.

The third strike he took today was over 2 inches out of the strike zone and had less than a 20% chance of being called a strike. He definitely knows the strikezone.

It's a Cincinnati tradition.

Bash the manager...virtually every manager since Sparky has been an idiot according to Reds fans. Every game, every manager has made idiotic moves. Fans want every game managed like it is game 7 of the World Series.

Bash the star...Eric Davis, Barry Larkin, Griffey Jr., Brandon Phillips, Votto - the best of the Reds take the brunt of the bashing.