Video made by Parkland Shooter prior to the shooting

Jumper_Dad

No. I support the death penalty but I agree with G’s sentiment that America shouldn’t be in the business of killing Americans. Since killing of Americans is allowed I am good with that. If the death penalty was done away with I’d be good with that as well.

Okay. I guess I was confused because the death penalty is an execution and in a case like a mass murder I have zero problem with them being executed.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue I have with the media in these school shootings is something I read and agree with. They seem to do exactly what is needed to influence the next perpetrator to go on a shooting spree.

1. They name the shooter.

2. They describe his characteristics.

3. They detail the crime.

4. They number the victims.

5. They rank them against other "successful" attackers.

The issue I have with the media in these school shootings is something I read and agree with. They seem to do exactly what is needed to influence the next perpetrator to go on a shooting spree.

1. They name the shooter.

2. They describe his characteristics.

3. They detail the crime.

4. They number the victims.

5. They rank them against other "successful" attackers.

These are all important things to know IMO. We all agree mental illness is an issue with these mass shootings. The media refusing to do those 5 things you listed isn’t going to stop someone with mental illness from acting on their impulses if they don’t have the mental capacity to recognize what they are doing is horrific.

These are all important things to know IMO. We all agree mental illness is an issue with these mass shootings. The media refusing to do those 5 things you listed isn’t going to stop someone with mental illness from acting on their impulses if they don’t have the mental capacity to recognize what they are doing is horrific.

Can you imagine the conspiracy theories, rumors and misinformation that would come out of these events if we left basic info like that out of the reporting? The American public is too smart, and too thirsty for information. If the media didn’t put it out there, someone else would, and who knows how accurate it would be. The only way to control the information is to release it all. The assumption here is that the stories inspire others to do more shootings. The problem with holding the info back is it makes these shooters more mysterious and just allows others to glorify them in their own way, and thus provide the ONLY story. At least now we can see the evil, and maybe, just maybe see sand recognize predictors of this behavior in the future.

The capacity to recognize what they are doing is horrific? If they recognized that they wouldn't do it. The barrage of images they see, hearing the constant horror of the act, the focus on body count are all part of what drives the next sick mind deeper into their delusional mindset IMO.

Can you imagine the conspiracy theories, rumors and misinformation that would come out of these events if we left basic info like that out of the reporting? The American public is too smart, and too thirsty for information. If the media didn’t put it out there, someone else would, and who knows how accurate it would be. The only way to control the information is to release it all. The assumption here is that the stories inspire others to do more shootings. The problem with holding the info back is it makes these shooters more mysterious and just allows others to glorify them. At least now we can see the evil, and maybe, just maybe see sand recognize predictors of this behavior in the future.

If this were true, wouldn't we see a decrease in school shootings?

How so? I can't think of many more crimes befitting of the death penalty than mass murder.

Because death penalty or not it is still America killing American citizens. Like I said I support the death penalty but I agree with the sentiment that America shouldn’t kill its citizens.

If this were true, wouldn't we see a decrease in school shootings?

Well, the only way to test it is to restrict the press for say the next 10 years to test the theory. Are you willing to give up the basic right of freedom of the press for the next decade or so or maybe forever? It just shocks me to hear people who fight so hard and feel so strongly about certain rights, to be so willing to give up other basic rights to “protect society. Isn’t that ironic??

The capacity to recognize what they are doing is horrific? If they recognized that they wouldn't do it. The barrage of images they see, hearing the constant horror of the act, the focus on body count are all part of what drives the next sick mind deeper into their delusional mindset IMO.

And I still can’t find fault in the media for a mindset that is uncontrollable if untreated.

Can you imagine the conspiracy theories, rumors and misinformation that would come out of these events if we left basic info like that out of the reporting? The American public is too smart, and too thirsty for information. If the media didn’t put it out there, someone else would, and who knows how accurate it would be. The only way to control the information is to release it all. The assumption here is that the stories inspire others to do more shootings. The problem with holding the info back is it makes these shooters more mysterious and just allows others to glorify them in their own way, and thus provide the ONLY story. At least now we can see the evil, and maybe, just maybe see sand recognize predictors of this behavior in the future.

Exactly. I mean there are people who believe some of the school shootings are hoaxes with crisis actors even though there has been credible and extensive coverage of every shooting.

Well, the only way to test it is to restrict the press for say the next 10 years to test the theory. Are you willing to give up the basic right of freedom of the press for the next decade or so or maybe forever? It just shocks me to hear people who fight so hard and feel so strongly about certain rights, to be so willing to give up other basic rights to “protect society. Isn’t that ironic??

The very definition of irony.......

From people that don't get it I suppose. They should report it, but we shouldn't hear their name or see their picture and it shouldn't be anywhere near the constant that it is. Whether people want to admit it or not, the media glorifies this stuff in the minds of the next nut that considers doing things like this.

Look at the title of this thread. It has become so common place that the kids name is not even mentioned. We used to know these folks by name. So are they really getting their 5 minutes of fame?

From people that don't get it I suppose. They should report it, but we shouldn't hear their name or see their picture and it shouldn't be anywhere near the constant that it is. Whether people want to admit it or not, the media glorifies this stuff in the minds of the next nut that considers doing things like this.

The media does what will sell, which is determined by the people that "buy" it. Whether people want to admit it or not, we create the media and the product that they give us.