June 7, 20188 yr The media does what will sell, which is determined by the people that "buy" it. Whether people want to admit it or not, we create the media and the product that they give us. It's Capitalism. That wonderful economic machine so many laud and worship when it supports their interests. I can't imagine what crazier versions would come out of the Info Wars if details were repressed from public knowledge.
June 7, 20188 yr Well, the only way to test it is to restrict the press for say the next 10 years to test the theory. Are you willing to give up the basic right of freedom of the press for the next decade or so or maybe forever? It just shocks me to hear people who fight so hard and feel so strongly about certain rights, to be so willing to give up other basic rights to “protect society. Isn’t that ironic?? I'm only talking about in the case of these school/mass shootings.
June 7, 20188 yr Look at the title of this thread. It has become so common place that the kids name is not even mentioned. We used to know these folks by name. So are they really getting their 5 minutes of fame? Absolutely they are. Any article or news report on them mention them....constantly.
June 7, 20188 yr The very definition of irony....... Oh, there's more irony than meets the eye on this and many other threads. I'll leave it to you to discover it.
June 7, 20188 yr The media does what will sell, which is determined by the people that "buy" it. Whether people want to admit it or not, we create the media and the product that they give us. Not everyone fits that mold.
June 7, 20188 yr I'm only talking about in the case of these school/mass shootings. So we only ban certain information. Just the stuff that might be more dangerous to the public, because of the handful of people that might draw inspiration from it or use it incorrectly. Even if it interferes a little with our basic rights.
June 7, 20188 yr Not everyone fits that mold. I agree. But, the media is driven by what the majority demand to be seen. We choose our media sources based on what they sell and how they give us that information. I don't choose media sources that mention the shooter's name or display videos of him/them. I think more people are falling into that category and some media outlets are following suit.
June 7, 20188 yr So we only ban certain information. Just the stuff that might be more dangerous to the public, because of the handful of people that might draw inspiration from it or use it incorrectly. Even if it interferes a little with our basic rights. We need responsible reporting so we need to take whatever action it takes to achieve that.
June 7, 20188 yr Oh, there's more irony than meets the eye on this and many other threads. I'll leave it to you to discover it. Oh I see plenty of it. :lol2:
June 8, 20188 yr So we only ban certain information. Just the stuff that might be more dangerous to the public, because of the handful of people that might draw inspiration from it or use it incorrectly. Even if it interferes a little with our basic rights. If common sense regulation saves only 1 life isn't it worth it? I don't agree with that sentiment but we've certainly heard it used when we talk about limiting another constitutional right.
June 8, 20188 yr If common sense regulation saves only 1 life isn't it worth it? I don't agree with that sentiment but we've certainly heard it used when we talk about limiting another. constitutional right. That’s kind of been my point. It’s clear that not all rights are of equal importance...some mean more to some than others.
June 8, 20188 yr If common sense regulation saves only 1 life isn't it worth it? I don't agree with that sentiment but we've certainly heard it used when we talk about limiting another constitutional right. Shouldnt it be common sense to not kill someone, regardless of the weapon?
June 9, 20188 yr That’s kind of been my point. It’s clear that not all rights are of equal importance...some mean more to some than others. Now we're getting somewhere. This is why I posted a few things I did in here. Responsibility shouldn't be expected out of only a select group. The finger of blame shouldn't only be pointed at one group. The media is often extremely irresponsible. Yet they get overlooked or what they report and how they report it is taken as gospel truth when in reality it's often skewed to shed light where they want it and with a particular narrative they want it to fit. I also don't think they care if they play any role in the next shooter going off the deep end and trying to top what they've previously seen splattered all of the 24/7 news machine.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.