Video made by Parkland Shooter prior to the shooting

Jumper_Dad

I'm not going to blame the media for what I choose to click on. We determine what the media shows us.

Absolutely. And the censoring of information from the media is a pretty slippery slope. We clamor for less of big brother, yet here we are asking someone else to decide what should and shouldn’t be shown regarding news stories.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to blame the media for what I choose to click on. We determine what the media shows us.

Sorry, the media plays a part in this. They run with it on TV, radio, newspaper, internet. And they don't just run it, they run it into the ground. Practically impossible to escape it. But hey, so long as they get ratings...

Absolutely. And the censoring of information from the media is a pretty slippery slope. We clamor for less of big brother, yet here we are asking someone else to decide what should and shouldn’t be shown regarding news stories.

But yet many of you would support telling people what they can and can't own based on the misuse of it by some crackpot.

I agree. I listened to a podcast this week that I think applies here. A 20-something year old, along with a group of his friends, brutally killed a mother and severely injured her daughter during a home invasion. When they were determined to be persons of interest and brought in for questioning, one of them finally caved and decided to sing, because "I decided it was just like killing myself. They eventually execute me."

He didn't care. Not one iota. The death penalty is not a great deterrent.

So what is? It doesn't seem like life in prison is.

But yet many of you would support telling people what they can and can't own based on the misuse of it by some crackpot.

Many of who? When have I spoken about limiting what someone can and cannot own? I'm not in the ban anything group, and I'm not sure why you're lumping me in.

You support the death penalty but not for a mass murderer?

No. I support the death penalty but I agree with G’s sentiment that America shouldn’t be in the business of killing Americans. Since killing of Americans is allowed I am good with that. If the death penalty was done away with I’d be good with that as well.

Where do their ratings come from?

From people that don't get it I suppose. They should report it, but we shouldn't hear their name or see their picture and it shouldn't be anywhere near the constant that it is. Whether people want to admit it or not, the media glorifies this stuff in the minds of the next nut that considers doing things like this.