16-yr-old Crushed to Death by Minivan Seat Despite 911 Calls for Help

hoops5

911 operator who didn't notify police of the second call should be charged.

One puzzling thought I have is if he was able to dial 911 and ask for help, I'm surprised he didn't call his parents at all. Surely they would've known he was at tennis practice or should've been and been able to locate him quicker.

Also, did the initial 911 operator not ask him where he was located?

What would the charge be?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is that a criminal charge? Did the dispatchers actions meet the criteria for any criminal charges?

From what I was able to gather, it is for those in positions of public service, which I would assume a 911 dispatcher is. I could be wrong though.

They knowingly and willingly withheld necessary information from first responders. If not criminally liable, I imagine there's some civil liability involved there.

From what I was able to gather, it is for those in positions of public service, which I would assume a 911 dispatcher is. I could be wrong though.

They knowingly and willingly withheld necessary information from first responders. If not criminally liable, I imagine there's some civil liability involved there.

Here's the Ohio Revised Code for dereliction of duty:

2921.44 Dereliction of duty.

I think there is the possibility that dereliction of duty by 911 operators could fall under clause (E).

(E) No public servant shall recklessly fail to perform a duty expressly imposed by law with respect to the public servant's office, or recklessly do any act expressly forbidden by law with respect to the public servant's office.

I also wonder if they could be protected by Good Samaritan laws in the state.

I also wonder if it's possible that she was overworked and burnt out and accidentally made a mis-step in the process of conveying all the info she was given in the call.

I also wonder, based on the article that Enquirer published today that talked about Cincinnati's 911 call center having its budget cut and personnel cut, if the increase in required overtime and reduced support for 911 operators - an issue created by Cincinnati City Hall - will come into play here.

She has been put on leave.

A 911 dispatcher was put on administrative leave after an Ohio teen was mysteriously found dead in his van after calling the cops twice pleading for help, authorities said Thursday.

A terrified 16-year-old Kyle Plush called 911 at about 3:14 p.m., saying he was stuck in his van that was parked in the Seven Hills School parking lot, Cincinnati Police Chief Eliot Isaac said at a press conference.

“Help, help, help,” the desperate teen told the first 911 operator, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. “I'm in desperate need of help!”

The operator couldn’t understand the teen who said he was at “Seven Hills.”

“I probably don't have much time left, so tell my mom that I love her if I die,” Kyle pleaded in a second 911 call, adding that he was in a Honda Odyssey in his school’s parking lot.

Cincinnati police officers arrived at the scene after the calls were made but couldn’t find the van.

“On that second 911 call something has gone terribly wrong” Isaac said. “This young man was crying out for help. We weren’t able to get that information to the officers on the scene. We need to find out why.”

The second dispatcher, who the chief identified as Amber Smith, was put on administrative leave amid the department's investigation. Isaac indicated it could've been an equipment issue or human error.

What about the officer who saw the van? Is he/she culpable? Did he/she check inside the van at all? That almost seems more negligent than the 911 dispatcher. If I am reading the story right, that officer actually saw the van. Was the victim still alive when that officer saw the van?

Can’t understand how that could end up crushing a 16 year old boy.

Theres a video with that image that shows the seat fliping backwards some how, i dont understand how that can happen. Just like I dont understand why he didnt just open the back door and get his stuff.

What about the officer who saw the van? Is he/she culpable? Did he/she check inside the van at all? That almost seems more negligent than the 911 dispatcher. If I am reading the story right, that officer actually saw the van. Was the victim still alive when that officer saw the van?

They said on the radio today that wasn’t true. The officer found a van but it wasn’t the one the child was in. A totally different van.

How big is the parking lot at Seven Hills if they send two different officers to look for a van and neither could find it?

@plantmanky—-something that I see occur daily in high school parking lots is that at the end of the school day, in schools where cell phones are verboten, students go to their cars, sit inside, and get on their phones. I have witnessed students bring their backpack to their car, then sit inside their car for a bit, texting or whatever, then grab their gear and go to their sports practice. So perhaps this young man was already in his minivan retrieving other items, then just turned around inside the van, and walked to the back of the van to grab the stuff in the cargo area. Who really knows, @plantmanky? And why is that relevant?

They said on the radio today that wasn’t true. The officer found a van but it wasn’t the one the child was in. A totally different van.

How big is the parking lot at Seven Hills if they send two different officers to look for a van and neither could find it?

Looks on Google Maps as if they have LOTS of little parking areas strewn around the campus.....like 6 or 7 of them. It's not totally crazy to imagine, to me.

@plantmanky—-something that I see occur daily in high school parking lots is that at the end of the school day, in schools where cell phones are verboten, students go to their cars, sit inside, and get on their phones. I have witnessed students bring their backpack to their car, then sit inside their car for a bit, texting or whatever, then grab their gear and go to their sports practice. So perhaps this young man was already in his minivan retrieving other items, then just turned around inside the van, and walked to the back of the van to grab the stuff in the cargo area. Who really knows, @plantmanky? And why is that relevant?

It is relevant because thing dont add up, why would a kid, who has a brace on, climb through two rows of seats in a van, when he could just open the back gate and get his stuff?

Sounds more to me that someone put him in that position.

It is relevant because thing dont add up, why would a kid, who has a brace on, climb through two rows of seats in a van, when he could just open the back gate and get his stuff?

Sounds more to me that someone put him in that position.

Maybe the tailgate doesn't work correctly? Maybe he was parked up against a car or structure that made tailgate access difficult without moving the minivan...so he climbed over the seat instead.