Thomas More 2018

UK#1fanisback

You can't participate in NAIA and NCAA simultaneously. There are a handful of teams that have sports in multiple levels of NCAA but only in baseball and hockey and they were grandfathered in back in the early 1990s.

That's what I thought. I played baseball at a school that was D1 in baseball and field hockey, but D2 in everything else back in the late 80's/early 90's. In the late 90's those sports were moved to D2 as well.

So I understand that moving to NAIA allows them to offer scholarships. But what other advantages does it offer football and other sports. Admittadly, I really don't know all that much about NAIA sports and their rules.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't participate in NAIA and NCAA simultaneously. There are a handful of teams that have sports in multiple levels of NCAA but only in baseball and hockey and they were grandfathered in back in the early 1990s.

That's what I thought. I played baseball at a school that was D1 in baseball and field hockey (i know you were talking about Ice Hockey), but D2 in everything else back in the late 80's/early 90's. In the late 90's those sports were moved to D2 as well.

So I understand that moving to NAIA allows them to offer scholarships. But what other advantages does it offer football and other sports. Admittadly, I really don't know all that much about NAIA sports and their rules.

I questioned NAIA also. What I was told was it would be the best fit competitively. That the conference they would be joining was more competitive than their current D3 conference. TMC tends to dominate their current conference in a lot of sports not just woman's basketball. I must admit that I have always thought of NAIA as a step down from NCAA, but apparently it is just a different association. I think TMC like most small schools is trying to increase enrollment. Back when I went there many moons ago it was the TAP program to get business people in to complete their degree. Now it is increased enrollment through athletics. NAIA has JV leagues so the bottom 50 people on the 100 person football roster get to play in games. TMC is a really good academic school regardless of why a student picks it. So if it gets more students in and they complete their education it is a good thing.

I questioned NAIA also. What I was told was it would be the best fit competitively. That the conference they would be joining was more competitive than their current D3 conference. TMC tends to dominate their current conference in a lot of sports not just woman's basketball. I must admit that I have always thought of NAIA as a step down from NCAA, but apparently it is just a different association. I think TMC like most small schools is trying to increase enrollment. Back when I went there many moons ago it was the TAP program to get business people in to complete their degree. Now it is increased enrollment through athletics. NAIA has JV leagues so the bottom 50 people on the 100 person football roster get to play in games. TMC is a really good academic school regardless of why a student picks it. So if it gets more students in and they complete their education it is a good thing.

Everything I've read is that NAIA is somewhere between D2 and D3, which again, when you think about it makes sense, since NAIA has scholarship athletes. I'm with you though, I used to hold the belief that NAIA was a step down. I also know from my sons recruiting experience this past year (he wrestles and ended up choosing a D2 school over several D3 and NAIA schools), NAIA has a lot fewer recruiting restrictions. So I'm guessing this move raises the competition level a little, and allows them to be more competitive in terms of recruiting and getting higher level athletes, especially instate, where they are competing for athletes with really good athletic NAIA schools like Lindsey Wilson, Georgetown, Campbellsville, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this something they (the school) would tell people (like recruits) they are trying to do? Or is this something they don't comment on until it is official? If it is part of a plan to draw more students like @ColonelPops says, you would think there would be some marketing to go with it.

Is this something they (the school) would tell people (like recruits) they are trying to do? Or is this something they don't comment on until it is official? If it is part of a plan to draw more students like @ColonelPops says, you would think there would be some marketing to go with it.

Probably have to wait until it's official that they are joining the Mid-South.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...