Thomas More 2018

UK#1fanisback

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TMC brings in a lot of players to start the season and then it thins out as the season starts. I guess this is a recruiting tool to get kids on campus.

Offering scholarships at the NAIA level would help an incoming player better gauge the interest of the coaches. If they offer you a scholarship they are invested in you and must believe you have the potential to be a starter at some point. Signing at a D3 school and being on the roster doesn't necessarily mean the coaches see you as a future starter.

TMC brings in a lot of players to start the season and then it thins out as the season starts. I guess this is a recruiting tool to get kids on campus.

Offering scholarships at the NAIA level would help an incoming player better gauge the interest of the coaches. If they offer you a scholarship they are invested in you and must believe you have the potential to be a starter at some point. Signing at a D3 school and being on the roster doesn't necessarily mean the coaches see you as a future starter.

Signing at a D3 school really means nothing more than you'll be able to come out and practice with the team. Most kids find out the hard way, that D3 "signings" aren't worth a whole lot.

Doesnt D1, D2 and NAIA have walkon limits, they can only have so many?

I believe the max number of participants for D1 is 105. Not sure about D2 or NAIA, but I've seen some NAIA teams with really big rosters.

Signing at a D3 school really means nothing more than you'll be able to come out and practice with the team. Most kids find out the hard way, that D3 "signings" aren't worth a whole lot.

This is true. But there has to be a way of determining if a coach is really interested in you or not. We ask the coach at the end of the meeting, "If (son's name) works hard and develops like you expect him to, do you see him as a future starter on your team?" Someone else suggested asking where you see him on the depth chart for his position. Something like that.

They may not be honest when they answer, but then again, they may. I use other signs to try to gauge their interest. This is just one of the pieces.

This is true. But there has to be a way of determining if a coach is really interested in you or not. We ask the coach at the end of the meeting, "If (son's name) works hard and develops like you expect him to, do you see him as a future starter on your team?" Someone else suggested asking where you see him on the depth chart for his position. Something like that.

They may not be honest when they answer, but then again, they may. I use other signs to try to gauge their interest. This is just one of the pieces.

To be fair, most coaches will let you know if they are really interested. And the recruit should be able to get an idea by the level and amount of contact they get from the coach. However, many recruits end up with much higher expectations, and really don't realize how competitive and tough football is, even at the D3 level.

Doesnt D1, D2 and NAIA have walkon limits, they can only have so many?

I'm not sure about NAIA walk-on limit. They are allowed to offer 24 scholarships to varsity players on the football team. The school can offer partial scholarships. They can also stack academic scholarship with it. So if you see a roster with 100 athletes, many of them are not on athletic scholarship.