Bracken County announces Athletic Hall of Fame

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful idea and apparently extremely well structured on the front side. I see two potential challenges: 1). With only 5 per year going in, won't 72 years of no HOF have a ton of worthy, early decade athletes probably go unrecognized? 2). Thought everyone in Bracken County was related somehow (if not by blood, then by marriage) creating more familial conflicts than expected.

Maybe problem #1 could be addressed by initially some kind of recognition by decades with an enrollee from each 40's, 50's, etc. Don't forget fewer people around to nominate some of those deserving athletes and less access to stats, historical articles, etc. After some time frame, maybe 5(?) years of inductions the decades concept could be phased out. As to Problem #2, good luck with that one Committee Chairman as you are probably related to everyone else on the Committee. Small County with strong bonds keeps a lot of people close to home. Makes Bracken County a great place to raise a family.

Wonderful idea and apparently extremely well structured on the front side. I see two potential challenges: 1). With only 5 per year going in, won't 72 years of no HOF have a ton of worthy, early decade athletes probably go unrecognized? 2). Thought everyone in Bracken County was related somehow (if not by blood, then by marriage) creating more familial conflicts than expected.

Maybe problem #1 could be addressed by initially some kind of recognition by decades with an enrollee from each 40's, 50's, etc. Don't forget fewer people around to nominate some of those deserving athletes and less access to stats, historical articles, etc. After some time frame, maybe 5(?) years of inductions the decades concept could be phased out. As to Problem #2, good luck with that one Committee Chairman as you are probably related to everyone else on the Committee. Small County with strong bonds keeps a lot of people close to home. Makes Bracken County a great place to raise a family.

Was thinking the same thing about all that you mentioned above when first heard about this idea, by the time Austin Crawford and Bailey Cummings go in, they may have grand children. Also, unless they know what they are doing, by naming it the BC Athletic HOF instead of Basketball HOF, I can already hear the complaints rolling in:

Who goes in for baseball?

football?

volleyball?

softball?

cross country?

cheerleading?

archery?

Oh my

Also, unless they know what they are doing, by naming it the BC Athletic HOF instead of Basketball HOF, I can already hear the complaints rolling in:

Who goes in for baseball?

football?

volleyball?

softball?

cross country?

cheerleading?

archery?

Oh my

If they don’t get nominated, they don’t even have a chance. There are many people from multiple sports.

Hope Bracken has as much success with their program as Harrison Co. has enjoyed with theirs. Full-scale annual installation banquets with room popping attendance. Takes a lot of well meaning and involved program supporters to make something like this successful. It can add a ton of pride to an already proud school and its' alumnae. Wishing BC nothing but success.

From the “modern era” Eli Florer has to be near the top of the list. Excelled in football and baseball and was a solid contributor in basketball.

Eli should be in pretty quickly. One of the biggest contributors in the BIG 3 sports from the last decade. Probably all time home run leader and leader in tackles in football.

Eli should be in pretty quickly. One of the biggest contributors in the BIG 3 sports from the last decade. Probably all time home run leader and leader in tackles in football.

He will be eligible in 2024. Great athlete, his dad (Stacey Florer) and grand-dad (Bobby Florer) are both in the 1,000 point club.

Just to name a few that are eligible-

Basketball Players:

Warren Cooper, Pete Hause, Dave Hampton, Eddie Hopkins, John Rice, Clyde Cooper, Albert Cummins, Larry Wood

Molly Linville, Amy Flaugher, Annie Mains, Shelia Hamilton

Coaches: Jarvis Parsley, Herman Hale, David Hamilton, Tony Johnson, Gary Clayton

Baseball: Herb Mofford, Albert Cummins, Larry Wood

Softball: Amy Flaugher

I would say this is likely not true. Several really good players and teams preceded him. Although stats may be tough to come by.

Just to name a few that are eligible-

Basketball Players:

Warren Cooper, Pete Hause, Dave Hampton, Eddie Hopkins, John Rice, Clyde Cooper, Albert Cummins, Larry Wood

Molly Linville, Amy Flaugher, Annie Mains, Shelia Hamilton

Coaches: Jarvis Parsley, Herman Hale, David Hamilton, Tony Johnson, Gary Clayton

Baseball: Herb Mofford, Albert Cummins, Larry Wood

Softball: Amy Flaugher

Ashley Hause as well. 1000 point club and runner up to Mr. Baseball in 1995.

His number would be easy to prove. His predecessors? Not so much. I’m not discounting his legitimacy as a candidate at all.

Off and on teams from from 1920’s. Records back til the 80’s but they are not recorded, maybe I’ll do that if I get bored. My dad played in 83. Only played 10-15 games back then.