Look at the UK Coaching Situation from a Positive perspective...

Riverside 157

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree... Most of Lousiville's big time in-state recruits are from the Louisville area anyway, while UK gets players from all over the state.
Well most of Kentucky's best instate gets were from the city of Louisville too, and they were for the most part the second best tier from the city each year. Which are still excellent gets, and Louisville was in the mix for many of them and lost a few to UK.

But I don't think that the recruiting is a positive you can list for UK overall, when they do lose so many to other in state schools and then the gets that they do get have not translated to much on the field. If Kentucky relys on the Rest of the State to provide the best talent in the area they are going to be losing the battle of getting the VERY Best in the State for a long time. Louisville is where the best players are because that is where the most people are.

But this is not the real issue at hand. If you do count Brooks job at recruiting as a positive, and it actually has been pretty good in terms of ratings and stars and such, one must be puzzled by the consistant mantra out of the Rich Brooks shows about how having so many freshmen playing is why they are loseing. Why has the recruiting of such great in-state players translated to poor play and excuses on the field while Penn State, Louisville, and other schools have been using top recruited freshmen in starting spots with some success in the last few years? If the recruiting is a positive why has it not been a positive on the field?

Well most of Kentucky's best instate gets were from the city of Louisville too, and they were for the most part the second best tier from the city each year. Which are still excellent gets, and Louisville was in the mix for many of them and lost a few to UK.

But I don't think that the recruiting is a positive you can list for UK overall, when they do lose so many to other in state schools and then the gets that they do get have not translated to much on the field. If Kentucky relys on the Rest of the State to provide the best talent in the area they are going to be losing the battle of getting the VERY Best in the State for a long time. Louisville is where the best players are because that is where the most people are.

But this is not the real issue at hand. If you do count Brooks job at recruiting as a positive, and it actually has been pretty good in terms of ratings and stars and such, one must be puzzled by the consistant mantra out of the Rich Brooks shows about how having so many freshmen playing is why they are loseing. Why has the recruiting of such great in-state players translated to poor play and excuses on the field while Penn State, Louisville, and other schools have been using top recruited freshmen in starting spots with some success in the last few years? If the recruiting is a positive why has it not been a positive on the field?

simple answer...The guys from UL and PSU were surrounded by BETTER PLAYERS that were older and could mentor them. UK's freshman ARE the better players...3 years from now, when the frehman are juniors, you will see...

simple answer...The guys from UL and PSU were surrounded by BETTER PLAYERS that were older and could mentor them. UK's freshman ARE the better players...3 years from now, when the frehman are juniors, you will see...
I don't think that they are the better players to be frank. I don't see this class being better than Keenan Burton and Andre Woodson's. But lets say that they do have a greater amount of potential you can't know for sure that they ever will be developed into the better players you expect them too. Brooks has recruited three classes and developed them. I know that includes a reduced number of scholarships but still the recruits have been touted as good players each year, and are playing now and they had players like Derek Abney, Jared Lorenzen, Sweet Pea Burns and others that were good role models and mentors. So I don't think recruiting is changing anything. You are getting the same caliber players as before and doing the same or less with them, so how is recruiting a bright spot if it bears no fruit?

Micheal Bush, Brian Brohm, Mario Urrutia, Hunter Cantwell, Earl Heyman, Scott Kuhn....

He is second fiddle in recruiting the best from KY. Especially when recruiting KY shouldn't be very hard for the state school of KY.

All these recruits came along while UK was UNDER PROBATION. UK had a good instate recruiting class last year, give him two more years!!! Then lets see where these guys start going.

Hunter Cantwell is our backup quarterback that no one else in Div 1 wanted. He played admirably in the time Brian Brohm is off. Earl Heyman is a starting DL who has been very productive, he even scored a TD as a freshman on a fumble recovery. Scott Kuhn is a TE from Northern KY who scored a TD last game and is seeing increased production.

Cory Peters 5 tackles

Josh Minton played in 1 game

David Jones 2 receptions for 17 yrds

Fidler, has he played?

Bolded are freshman (Don't know about the other two, but would you play Fidler @ QB over Woodson???). Guys you are trying to compare them to are upperclassmen. Apples an oranges. Give them some development and some time in Brook's system.

Why does this always turn into a UK vs UofL thing?

The question was asked about UK.

You have a good point and I was trying to focus on Kentucky in my posts, but you have to admit when debating the value and success of Kentucky's instate recruiting the comparison in relevent and practically unaviodable since they are competing head to head for the same recruits.

And all this is just my opinion. Unlike my brother I am not a UK hater. I am not a big UK fan either, but I do root for them in most games that they aren't playing Louisville.

Honestly, how can you recruit people into a SEC school who is walked upon year in year out and on probation on the same time. Brooks has to be given another two years. Let's see what he can do when he/"his team" is off of probation. There is only room to improve.

At least we know Brooks is clean too. Is it worth bringing in another coaching staff that could get this team into more sanctions???