Should the winner of the Highlands-CovCath game...

jbwill2

I like Po Dunk U, people there are very nice and friendly.:banana:

We can debate until we're all BLUE in the face. Fact is the past 20 yrs the NKY region rules the roost. Look how long it to LexCath to get over the hump and finally win a title. They went 10-0 a bunch of regular seasons in a row, but come playoff time, 1 and done.

The last ten Championships have been dominated by HHS and Boyle Co. CCH has not even been to the state championship since 1997. Yes HHS and CCH are great programs but it only takes one good team each year to beat them. No one here has argued against these teams being top teams. The point is each year there has been one or two teams outside of NKY that can compete with them and play them competitively. Granted it might be two different teams each year that is why rankings need to focus on current accomplishments. The fact that HHS won the state championship in 2004 should play a part in current rankings, but a CCH state championship 9 years ago is no factor in this years rankings.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...most people would agree that if a 2 or 3 loses to another team in the same class or lower that the 4 and 5 have a valid argument that they should move up in the polls.
Not necessarily. It totally depends on who those teams have played and how they've performed.

The last ten Championships have been dominated by HHS and Boyle Co. CCH has not even been to the state championship since 1997. Yes HHS and CCH are great programs but it only takes one good team each year to beat them. No one here has argued against these teams being top teams. The point is each year there has been one or two teams outside of NKY that can compete with them and play them competitively. Granted it might be two different teams each year that is why rankings need to focus on current accomplishments. The fact that HHS is defending state champs should play a part in current rankings, but a CCH state championship 9 years ago is no factor in this years rankings.

To the first bolded sentence, no one is arguing that. Every year HHS/CCH play a tough Bell, Rock, Lex Cath, BG...etc. What the initial argument is that they shouldn't drop five or six spots when admittingly, there's only one or two other teams in the state that could compete year in, year out.

To the second bolded sentence, CCH would have a few more state titles if they didn't have to play HHS twice a year...

The fact that HHS is defending state champs should play a part in current rankings, but a CCH state championship 9 years ago is no factor in this years rankings.

I believe that Lexington Catholic is the defending state champs! Also, rankings do not matter at this point in the season. It only matters the first weekend in December. It should be a fun AAA playoffs because there are some really good teams and who ever is playing the best at the time will be the AAA Champion.

The fact that HHS is defending state champs should play a part in current rankings, but a CCH state championship 9 years ago is no factor in this years rankings.

I believe that Lexington Catholic is the defending state champs! Also, rankings do not matter at this point in the season. It only matters the first weekend in December. It should be a fun AAA playoffs because there are some really good teams and who ever is playing the best at the time will be the AAA Champion.

Your right I was looking at the KHSAA site and forgot they haven't updated it with last years winners. But my point is still valid in that a teams recent success can be a determining factor due to returning players and the fact that they have experience in big games.

Exactly...

If you read my posts I have said the same thing from the beginning. I have never said that either team is not a top 5 or 6 team. The posts by many of the NKY faithful have stated that they are so far ahead of everyone else that even the loser should stay in the top 3. I happen not to agree with that position.

Another question...Should the loser of the Cov Cath/Highlands game drop in the poll? This would give either 4 losses I believe with teams such as Central, Lex Catholic, Johnson Central, etc with only 1 or 0 losses...

Stickymitts here is the original question about the loser of the Cov Cath/Highlands game. No where does it say they should fall 5 or 6 spots and I never suggested that they should, I merely said the loser should drop in the polls.

If you read my posts I have said the same thing from the beginning. I have never said that either team is not a top 5 or 6 team. The posts by many of the NKY faithful have stated that they are so far ahead of everyone else that even the loser should stay in the top 3. I happen not to agree with that position.

My mistake, it was knightsdad who stated that the loser should move to the second five in the polls.

However, I've never understood why if #2 loses by a field goal or less to #1, on the road, they drop from #2 to #8. IMO, if the CCH/HHS game is a 2 point victory either way...not sure either would deserve to drop lower than 4...

Then again, it doesn't matter because like every other year...they'll be there when it matters.

The only thing the game between CCH and HHS decides on the 27th is where the two of them will hook up on the 10th (or 11th) of November.

Agreed, but I would also like to see CCH end the 'Birds streak of 10 years or so of district championships.

Agreed, but I would also like to see CCH end the 'Birds streak of 10 years or so of district championships.

The "official" district Championship this year will be settled in Round 2 of the playoffs -- not the Regular Season tilt.

"(In the regular season) teams are playing for a seed position," Tackett said. "... They're really not the district champion until they win it in the playoffs."

Ernst Article

My mistake, it was knightsdad who stated that the loser should move to the second five in the polls.

However, I've never understood why if #2 loses by a field goal or less to #1, on the road, they drop from #2 to #8. IMO, if the CCH/HHS game is a 2 point victory either way...not sure either would deserve to drop lower than 4...

I agree if the game is close then there is an argument for little if no movement.