Bengals 26 Lions 17

I am OK with Guenther coming back as defensive coordinator. What does everyone else think?

I could live with that. But i think a new coach with new ideas could help. I think it would also help Burfict. Under Pauly G they haven't been bad but have been more of a bend but don't break. So I don't want them to wait a year to late to make a change there too.

This was as hard as I have seen the Bengals play in a while. The defense was solid, the O-line held up and Gio and Hill ran with purpose. AD was not even average today, but didn't throw a lot of awful passes. He just missed some. He is much better in the spread type offense. He is accurate with the short slant quick type of passes.

I agree 100%. The pieces are there for sure. This defense is doing a great job of rotating young guys and veterans. They have a lock down corner, the best interior lineman in the NFL, and a top 5 linebacker in the league when he's available. I'd like to see them address the safety position, but that's the only real weakness on the team and it was plagued with injuries all year. The offense is still loaded at the skill positions. If Ross can give them something next year and they can somehow keep Eifert without overspending this is an attractive job. This is a more attractive job for sure than LA was last year even with AD at QB. If they can just get the right guy in here.

Interesting assessment of this squad? We'll agree the defense has finally built a little bit of depth, and after using a decade or so of high picks on the DL, has a great one and couple of good ones.

DB is a weak link other than maybe Jackson & LB's are looking good when healthy and Tez stays eligible.

"..offense still loaded at the skill positions"?????? Really--Who? Gio--Fine role player with the heart of a lion & horribly mis/under-used by this staff. Eifert--Love him but brittle as fine china. AJ--I think he's done with this team & showed it with his efforts most of this season (Needs a change of environment). Dalton--Seriously?? Mixon--Most hopeful of the group other than Gio. From there, not sure what you're seeing through those orange glasses?

Safety the only real weakness on this team--Are you a member of the Brown family???????

O-Line--Guessing you ran out of ink in your assessment here, because they are beyond common, and that's being really kind. Most pressing need on the team, as they let their two best walk & have drafted very weak.

Coaching--Not many teams seem less prepared or make worse adjustments than the Bengals, and it's not likely to improve until Mikey's gone. No really big name or proven coach will come here with the shackles that Mike Brown puts on his team whether it's by going cheap at the assistant level, scouting, or his insistent meddling (see Ross).

While not a fan of Marvin's last few years, he did a good job overall given the limitations of the Cincy head coach. Did a great personnel job early, and brought them back to respectability; and then couldn't sustain the effort due to key assistants leaving, horrible game management skills, and most of all MIKE!!

They've finally run Marv off and will get another unproven, shot-in-the-dark assistant who's thrilled to be one of the "32". This team will never win big until it's sold!

Interesting assessment of this squad? We'll agree the defense has finally built a little bit of depth, and after using a decade or so of high picks on the DL, has a great one and couple of good ones.

DB is a weak link other than maybe Jackson & LB's are looking good when healthy and Tez stays eligible.

"..offense still loaded at the skill positions"?????? Really--Who? Gio--Fine role player with the heart of a lion & horribly mis/under-used by this staff. Eifert--Love him but brittle as fine china. AJ--I think he's done with this team & showed it with his efforts most of this season (Needs a change of environment). Dalton--Seriously?? Mixon--Most hopeful of the group other than Gio. From there, not sure what you're seeing through those orange glasses?

Safety the only real weakness on this team--Are you a member of the Brown family???????

O-Line--Guessing you ran out of ink in your assessment here, because they are beyond common, and that's being really kind. Most pressing need on the team, as they let their two best walk & have drafted very weak.

Coaching--Not many teams seem less prepared or make worse adjustments than the Bengals, and it's not likely to improve until Mikey's gone. No really big name or proven coach will come here with the shackles that Mike Brown puts on his team whether it's by going cheap at the assistant level, scouting, or his insistent meddling (see Ross).

While not a fan of Marvin's last few years, he did a good job overall given the limitations of the Cincy head coach. Did a great personnel job early, and brought them back to respectability; and then couldn't sustain the effort due to key assistants leaving, horrible game management skills, and most of all MIKE!!

They've finally run Marv off and will get another unproven, shot-in-the-dark assistant who's thrilled to be one of the "32". This team will never win big until it's sold!

How come is it if someone actually doesn't think they are just terrible. That must mean they are looking through orange color glasses, drinking the kool aid or in Mike Browns pocket or a member of Mike Browns family?

I just always love how if someone is not saying the sky is falling, or they are horrible, etc. That must mean they are drinking the kool aid. Acting like they have the true realistic opinion and they are just looking through orange shaded glasses. I know I heard that all the time in the 2011, 2012, and even 2013 seasons. After watching the Bengals in the pre season I talked about how there were things I really liked that I thought would make the Bengals truly compete. While everyone else said I'm drinking the kool aid, and all that stuff and they would be lucky to win a game. They ended up making the playoffs. 2012 I heard the same things and that 2011 was a fluke. They made the playoffs again. 2013 I even made a thread before the season started stating that may be the most talented Bengals squad all the way around since their super bowl teams. People once again started the whole orange color glasses, drinking the kool aid, etc. Then the Bengals did end up proving how talented they were, and was regarded as one of the most talented teams in the nfl for the next three years, winning the division twice.

So I just find it funny that people always make the comments that you just did if anyone has a comment that suggest they are not horrible.

Edited by futurecoach

Look you can sit around and wait for Mike Brown to die all you want, but I'll choose to look at things through a practical lense. Mike Brown isn't going anywhere. The defense is in very good shape. Especially in the front 7. The D Line has a great mix of veterans in Gene, Dunlap, Johnson, Smith. Then 3 rookies who contribute a ton in Lawson, Willis, and Glasgow. The Linebackers are young and playing very well. The secondary has a lockdown corner in Jackson, Dennard has had his first healthy year and has played well, Dre is still hit or miss but when he's the 3rd best corner on the team that's doing pretty well. The safeties suck. I think 90% of the teams in the league would swap the Bengals skill players (outside of Dalton) that's pretty good. The O Line sucks. Biggest need for sure. But again no reason to not look at the positive aspects of the team because the negative ones like Mike Brown aren't going anywhere.

Look you can sit around and wait for Mike Brown to die all you want, but I'll choose to look at things through a practical lense. Mike Brown isn't going anywhere. The defense is in very good shape. Especially in the front 7. The D Line has a great mix of veterans in Gene, Dunlap, Johnson, Smith. Then 3 rookies who contribute a ton in Lawson, Willis, and Glasgow. The Linebackers are young and playing very well. The secondary has a lockdown corner in Jackson, Dennard has had his first healthy year and has played well, Dre is still hit or miss but when he's the 3rd best corner on the team that's doing pretty well. The safeties suck. I think 90% of the teams in the league would swap the Bengals skill players (outside of Dalton) that's pretty good. The O Line sucks. Biggest need for sure. But again no reason to not look at the positive aspects of the team because the negative ones like Mike Brown aren't going anywhere.

Cincinnati is just a horrible sports town imo. All fan bases can be tough or negative. Philly is very tough on their teams, but even though they are tough they show up. Our area is negative even in good years and still doesn't show up. However we are very good at complaining and acting like everything is the worst in the world.

As you stated if people can get passed that Mike Brown is the owner, and get over phrases people used in the 90s. They would see they have actually did a decent job rebuilding and putting pieces in place. However to many people I think failed to notice they were actually unofficially rebuilding while hoping to compete if their young tackles worked out.

We're pretty much in complete agreement. I honestly don't think the receiving group is that bad, and have hope in Ross. I think part of it not looking like we have much at receiver is because of Dalton and the line. Just doesn't give other guys much of a chance to showcase themselves. New coach, focus on the o line, and if possible try to find a play making safety. Qb to but I know that won't happen lol.

As a long time Bengal's fan, I really hope you guys are correct. Forgive me if I don't agree on the following premises you've set forth:

1. One of the great coach's of the league is going to come work for Mikey?

2. O-Line ills can be solved soon?

3. Safety ills can be solved soon?

4. Andy will miraculously become something other than common in his 8th year?

5. Eifert plays 1 games in a year?

6. Ross becomes anything other than another wasted 1st rounder?

7. All the above can align before the D-Line, Backers, AJ, etc. become too old or leave for greener pastures?

I think we can agree that Marvin did a good job early but his message has grown stale; especially with the shackles he's had placed around him. Again, I hope I'm all wet, but after watching the team that Paul Brown built become a contender; and then a laughingstock under his hard headed son's tutelage--Color me a skeptic!!

Marvin brought them back from laughingstock to respectability (if you chose to ignore the many years of being considered the leagues' halfway house for thugs?); but they better get the many holes plugged soon, as the D-Lines not getting younger, Andy's not the answer, AJ's going to be gone at first opportunity, etc.

As a long time Bengal's fan, I really hope you guys are correct. Forgive me if I don't agree on the following premises you've set forth:

1. One of the great coach's of the league is going to come work for Mikey?

2. O-Line ills can be solved soon?

3. Safety ills can be solved soon?

4. Andy will miraculously become something other than common in his 8th year?

5. Eifert plays 1 games in a year?

6. Ross becomes anything other than another wasted 1st rounder?

7. All the above can align before the D-Line, Backers, AJ, etc. become too old or leave for greener pastures?

I think we can agree that Marvin did a good job early but his message has grown stale; especially with the shackles he's had placed around him. Again, I hope I'm all wet, but after watching the team that Paul Brown built become a contender; and then a laughingstock under his hard headed son's tutelage--Color me a skeptic!!

Marvin brought them back from laughingstock to respectability (if you chose to ignore the many years of being considered the leagues' halfway house for thugs?); but they better get the many holes plugged soon, as the D-Lines not getting younger, Andy's not the answer, AJ's going to be gone at first opportunity, etc.

Here is the thing the o line and safety are holes. But to many Bengal fans act like all these other nfl teams don't have holes either. Even most of the playoff teams have holes. Then especially all the non playoff teams. Bengal fans completely over dramatize the holes we have are so much more than other teams.

To answer some of your questions. Can the line be fixed in a year? Yes. Minnesota is perfect example. Their line was the worst in the nfl last year and they didn't even go out and add high price lineman. They mixed a few new guys with draft picks and now look.

The Bengals besides Eifert don't have to many of their own guys to really worry about having to sign back this off season. They will have about 10 draft picks. So they could spend their draft and free agency on the line, and safety. So those 2 spots could be addressed.

As for Ross it's hard to say he is a bust. When he didn't play. We can't say well if he was good the coaches would have played him. The coaches haven't necessarily shown they are good at knowing which players should play. We have 2 draft picks in guards who haven't been active all year in Redmond and Westerman who looked better than any guard we seen all year and were actually moving people off the ball. Yet they only got the chance due to injury. Burfict his rookie year had a great year, but only got a chance to play because the late Thomas Howard had a season ending injury in per season. William Jackson was healthy and ready to come off IR last year but instead of activating their 1st round pick they chose to activate a special teams player in Peerman. So it's impossible to say Ross is a bust because we truly don't know and can't trust that the coaches played the right guys.

As for Dalton I agree. At best we can only hope to make playoffs with him. We aren't winning titles with him. Which he is another example. People say well if McCarron was better the coaches would play him. I think we seen these coaches haven't done the best job of playing who may truly be better.

As for one of the greatest coaches coming. No you are right. They won't get an established head coach. However they could get a top assistant who is looking to make a name and knows he could win right away with this roster.